Cruise Control - Accuracy

Faults and Technical chat for the Range Rover Velar
DJY

Cruise Control - Accuracy

Post by DJY » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:04 pm

I have had cruise control on all my cars since 2008. The first was a Mondeo, but since them all German. All except the Mondeo were able to keep the car almost spot-on the set speed; when going up and down small hills the speed would only vary by 1 MPH faster or slower, all use brakes when going down steep hills.

My D240S is as bad as the Mondeo, on small hills it regularly varies by 2 MPH each way and sometimes more; dowhill today, with it set at 40MPH, I actually reached 55 MPH, at no time did it even use engine braking. Is this normal? Or do I have an issue.

All I found on the manual was a warning that sometimes it may exceed the set speed (certainly did today!)

Jim55

Re: Cruise Control - Accuracy

Post by Jim55 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:46 pm

DJY, on my 180D F-Pace the car held the set speed reasonably well up hill and on the flat. Downhill it just gained speed in proportion to the angle of the hill and the distance travelled down the hill, I generally used the manual gear levers to use engine braking.

On my D300 Velar though not driven down any steep hills yet the decline on the approach to the road where I live it holds the speed to within a couple of mph of the set speed (30 mph), wheras in the F-Pace it would gain about 5-6 mph if allowed to run on. In the Velar it feels as if the car is applying the brakes, though whether this is autonomous braking or merely effective engine braking from the 3lr engine I don't yet know. It will be interesting to find out on my first steep decline, I've only driven about 300 miles so far.
December 2018: MY19.5, Kaikoura Stone, D300 R-Dynamic HSE, R-Dynamic Black Pack, 20" 10 spoke Satin Dark Grey wheels, fixed pano roof, Driver Assist pack, On/Off Road pack, Light Oyster seats and headlining.

kyjuan

Post by kyjuan » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:37 pm

I've also noticed that the speeds could add additional 1mph/2mph to cruise control speed. I noticed that while on the motorway yesterday. Just nothing more than 2mph which i think is reasonable.
R Dynamic D180 SE
Corris Grey
Black Pack
20" Gloss black wheels
Contrast roof
Fixed Panoramic roof
Privacy glass
ATPC
Electrically adjustable steering wheel column

arbeetee

Post by arbeetee » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:31 am

My D240 normally gain 2-4kph on the downhill depending how steep it is. I adjust the set speed to compensate. No biggie for me :D
18MY RRV D240 HSE Santorini Black
Gone: 16MY DS 2.2L SD4 HSE Luxury
Australia

Matty

Post by Matty » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:48 pm

If you want your speed to not increase when going downhill with cruise on, you need to make sure the limiter button is switched on on the steering wheel. I had the same issue as you but it stopped as soon as the limiter was switched on.

Also I too have the 1-2mph fluctuation in speed when cruise is on.
R-Dynamic SE
Santorini Black
Black Pack
Privacy Glass

MikeJL

Post by MikeJL » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:39 pm

Matty wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:48 pm
If you want your speed to not increase when going downhill with cruise on, you need to make sure the limiter button is switched on on the steering wheel. I had the same issue as you but it stopped as soon as the limiter was switched on.

Also I too have the 1-2mph fluctuation in speed when cruise is on.
Thought the button toggled between cruise control & speed limiter. How do you get both to work together?
D240 HSE 18MY. Firenze Red, Eclipse Interior, Panoramic Roof, Air Suspension
20 way electric seats with 14 way memory :-(
Software Version: 18B

Return to “Faults & Technical”