Range Rover Velar Forum banner

Radio Unavailable...

24K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  DJY 
#1 ·
Hi folks, I really hope this is just a turn it on and off again problem (can you tell I'm in IT :? )...

Ok, had the Velar now for a week (exactly to the hour), and when I went to drive off, there was no radio, media, Nav.. When I tried to select media, it just gave me a "Radio unavailable" message. Tried to select the USB (for music) and it wasn't available for selection. Tried Sat Nav, and it just said initiating, nothing... Turned off the radio using the physical volume button, and it said Radio Off. Turned it back on using the button and again it said "Radio unavailable". No matter what I did, nothing worked. Sat Nav remained initiating..

Got to supermarket, pulled in and switched off the car, switched on, still no joy. Went in to do some shopping, and when I got back in the car (about 10 mins later), started up and the radio started playing. The USB was selectable and played stored music and the Sat Nav worked.

Now as an IT consultant, I appreciate there's a lot of tech in the car and sometimes it has a funny. Hopefully this is a one off. But has anyone else experienced anything like this and do they know if its a known RR fault, maybe a s/w update or something. I would hope, as my car is only a week old its running the latest s/w. I know it says it is, when you get it to check for updates.

I'm not overly worried as its well within warranty, but would like to know if this is a one off or anyone else experienced similar and maybe had a fix.

By the way... still love the car :D

See less See more
#2 ·
Funny things sometimes happen when you turn the ignition on and occasionally things don't boot up properly. Nearly always resolved when the car is turned off, locked, and then restarted. For example, yesterday I had a fault indicator on my drive to work telling me the all terrain progress control system was not working when I started the car (I certainly was not using it or trying to turn it on). The message disappeared when I restarted the car that afternoon to go home and hasn't appeared since.

Electronics can be glitchy like this so I would just put it down to a quirk of the car. Obviously if this happens more regularly you need to take it in.

#4 ·
I had exactly this problem on several occasions. I found stopping and starting after 5 mins did not work. Neither did waiting for it to clear while driving, which has worked with other problems in the past.

The dealer's solution was to reload the InControl software. I now have S18B_18.21.3_157502 and so far now repeat of the problem. I know that this is not the latest update but my dealer errs on the side of waiting for all the glitches to be fixed before using the latest programme; not a bad approach after hearing reports of S19, as I have air suspension.

Hope that helps

#5 ·
The XYZ feature unavailable message is usually related to driving off before the software fully loads. I think they've improved this from 18c on to where the software will eventually fully load no matter how quickly you start and drive off, so if you're experiencing this frequently, either get updated assuming you're below 18c or start the engine and wait for the screens etc the fully load and your music etc works.

#6 ·
Cheers all.. only happened once, and I was in a rush and may have driven off before the screen loaded. Will have to try that again to check.

I've been ion IT from a programmer to consultant for over 30 years. I appreciate the sentiment of not going to the latest s/w until the bugs have been ironed out (ie being on the cutting edge not the bleeding edge). But thee days, s/w is released so fast, with little testing, that waiting for an update usually means you still get the bugs, just one version behind everyone else.

With IT vulnerability as it is, it is always worth having the latest s/w update and patches, as that is the only way to keep ahead (or at least in line) with the hackers who simply want to spoil your day. And the tech on this car, puts it out there on the internet of things, so dont be surprised when we here about the first hack of the range rover.

#7 ·
P380NarvikEclipse said:
The XYZ feature unavailable message is usually related to driving off before the software fully loads. I think they've improved this from 18c on to where the software will eventually fully load no matter how quickly you start and drive off, so if you're experiencing this frequently, either get updated assuming you're below 18c or start the engine and wait for the screens etc the fully load and your music etc works.
You may be right about driving off before the software fully loads. But it's still bloody annoying.

Same thing happened to me this week, I was left with a choice of a 40 min drive without radio and sat nav ( in a area where I was unfamiliar with and hence really needed sat nav) or park the car, move away from it (with the key) for 5 min, and the hope it reboots properly. This is not what you expect from a premium car.

Car is 14 months old and has been back to dealer twice already for software issues. Up to this incident, I have accepted the problems as teething problems as I love the overall package; I am now seriously thinking about a change of car.

#8 ·
DJY said:
P380NarvikEclipse said:
You may be right about driving off before the software fully loads. But it's still bloody annoying.

Same thing happened to me this week, I was left with a choice of a 40 min drive without radio and sat nav ( in a area where I was unfamiliar with and hence really needed sat nav) or park the car, move away from it (with the key) for 5 min, and the hope it reboots properly. This is not what you expect from a premium car.

Car is 14 months old and has been back to dealer twice already for software issues. Up to this incident, I have accepted the problems as teething problems as I love the overall package; I am now seriously thinking about a change of car.
Which version are you on? I experienced this up until I received 18C and now everything loads even if I drive off quickly, though sometimes will still delay them booting by a couple mins. At least they all come up though (except ACP if I remote started).

#9 ·
P380NarvikEclipse said:
DJY said:
P380NarvikEclipse said:

Which version are you on? I experienced this up until I received 18C and now everything loads even if I drive off quickly, though sometimes will still delay them booting by a couple mins. At least they all come up though (except ACP if I remote started).
I am on18c. Only happens occasionally. Yes sometime it just boots up slowly, once the top screen did not tilt, and now a couple of times sat nav and radio says "not available". All correct themselves next time I shut down and walk away for 5 mins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.