Low speed engine lag

Faults and Technical chat for the Range Rover Velar
MarkB

Low speed engine lag

Post by MarkB » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:25 am

Great forum - Newbie Velar owner here. I recently bought a used D300 from LR dealer. 2 weeks in car already been back for first fixes!!

My main issue is a strange lag at low speed under mild acceleration. Almost feels like a slipping clutch.

When slowly pulling up to a roundabout (c10mph), but not stopping, and then accelerating (slightly) to go round - the car experiences a strange lag - revs jump from 1000 to 2000 but there is little pull. You then over compensate by trying to accelerate harder. The effect is worse when engine is cold.

However, It doesn’t do this if replicated from standstill start.

I spoke to dealer and they replaced the powertrain control module but the problem still exists.

Do other D300 owners experience this - is it just a D300 engine thing?
(18) D300 HSE R Dynamic / Silicon Silver / black contrast roof / Acorn leather / 22" Alloys / Sunroof

SouthWest_RR36

Re: Low speed engine lag

Post by SouthWest_RR36 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:02 am

Hi Mark,
I had a D240 Velar, which I have now rejected, but one of the early faults I had with it was exactly as you describe above. The fix was replacement of an airflow sensor and a re-set of the gear box memory (it learns how you drive, and adapts its changes accordingly - appols if you knew that!) and after that, that particular issue did disappear.

Hope that helps somewhat!

PS - let me see if I still have the paperwork this evening to tell you the technical name of the part that was replaced; probably more helpful than airflow sensor to you!

MarkB

Post by MarkB » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:40 pm

Thanks Southwest please do let me know the name of the part - I was begging to think it was how they all drove
(18) D300 HSE R Dynamic / Silicon Silver / black contrast roof / Acorn leather / 22" Alloys / Sunroof

kangaman

Post by kangaman » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:27 pm

MarkB wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:25 am
Great forum - Newbie Velar owner here. I recently bought a used D300 from LR dealer. 2 weeks in car already been back for first fixes!!

My main issue is a strange lag at low speed under mild acceleration. Almost feels like a slipping clutch.

When slowly pulling up to a roundabout (c10mph), but not stopping, and then accelerating (slightly) to go round - the car experiences a strange lag - revs jump from 1000 to 2000 but there is little pull. You then over compensate by trying to accelerate harder. The effect is worse when engine is cold.

However, It doesn’t do this if replicated from standstill start.

I spoke to dealer and they replaced the powertrain control module but the problem still exists.

Do other D300 owners experience this - is it just a D300 engine thing?
G''day - Don't know if it helps but I feel it's a bit full on at times - very torquey at times especially when cold...try ECO mode see how that feels? - I've tried the Sport mode and its too response IMHO - Good luck!
(69) D300 HSE / R Dynamic Black Pack / Eiger Grey with black contrast roof & black gloss 9007 22" Alloys / Fixed Pano roof / Priv Glass / 360 camera / Heated Steering Wheel & the normal HSE goodies!

geniusloci

Post by geniusloci » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:12 am

What mode do you use?
ImageFirst Edition D300 HSE in Silver Flux Matte, Cete Automotive Active Sound, Pirelli Scorpion All Season tyres

liben96

Post by liben96 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:48 pm

I have D240 Velar and i experience the same, especially in ECO mode. I always thought that it was because of the ECO mode. However, now I have an E-Pace 150CV (just for a few days), and i am impressed. It is crazy how the E-Pace responds. I just use it en ECO mode... and it looks much powerful than my Velar D240. Now i am confused... and not sure if the velar is faulty.
If I drive in Dynamic or Comfort, it is completly different... thats why I thought that the problem was the ECO mode. But after reading the post I am confused...

Return to “Faults & Technical”