Faults and Technical chat for the Range Rover Velar
Simo03

Re: Gas/burning metal smell

Post by Simo03 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:23 am

Leonardo2017 wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:58 pm
Hello

First post.
I have an issue with a diesel like smell entering the cabin. I have FE 300D, now at 1900 miles and the smell seems to be getting worse. I did initially think it was new car smell.
Smell seems worse in stop start traffic, but I think it is there all the time! On long journeys makes me feel ill. Passengers have noticed it as well.
Anyone experienced this?
Thanks
I'm new in this forum. Just got my new Velar R-dynamic SE 240D and I've the same diesel smell in the cabin, when I switch on the engine. It remains just for a while, then it disappear, but, of course, it's annoying. Just driven 300km. Called the dealer and waiting for their feed-back.
Keep you posted.

Simo03

Post by Simo03 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:43 am

Dealer told me they haven't experienced this problem so far and ask to bring the car there for checking.
@Leonardo2017: did they solve the issue to you? if yes, what was the reason of the problem?

WInstonVelar

Post by WInstonVelar » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:03 pm

Exactly the same. And took it into the dealer and they suggested a long consistent highway drive and it seems to have done the trick. My dealer went so far to say that its very common with all the new LR, because there are so many recycled plastics and commonly they take a funky smell as the engine burns in. I have no idea if that's true — but he seemed rather proud in telling me this tidbit. :-)

nitinkf

Post by nitinkf » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:38 am

I had this issue too, turned out that the engine exhaust manifold box had detached from the engine. This caused the exhaust fumes to recirculate back into the vehicle. Seemed this was a fault on the car from manufacture

Simo03

Post by Simo03 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:59 am

After checking deeper the car at dealer garage they found similar problem: it was missing one screw that fixes the exhaust manifold box to the engine and exhaust fumes conveyed inside the car when switching on. They called this as "Monday morning fail" during assembly at the plant....
After fixing it, no more smell in the car.

Ludo

Post by Ludo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:33 am

Simo03 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:59 am
After checking deeper the car at dealer garage they found similar problem: it was missing one screw that fixes the exhaust manifold box to the engine and exhaust fumes conveyed inside the car when switching on. They called this as "Monday morning fail" during assembly at the plant....
After fixing it, no more smell in the car.
:shock: inhalating engine fumes into the cabin of car is definitely not a good idea. that's a very efficient way to commit suicide (if you derivate all the fumes). you could have got poisonned or have fallen asleep while driving on the highway...

kind of shocked they even have a way to call this at the plant. means it happens not so rarely...
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
MY18 Velar D180 R-Dyn S, Corris, Black sliding pano roof, 20'' black rims, Black leather, Teinted glass. delivered oct. 2
2014 Freelander 2 D160 HSE

Donjw

exhaust gas in cabin

Post by Donjw » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:19 pm

My Velar D300 is at 2700 Miles. Recently noticed a strong smell of diesel exhaust on starting and idling. I had put it down to exhaust gas accumulating under the car since the tail pipes do not protrude thru the rear panel. Once under way the air clears. I am going to check whether there is enough gas to set of a CO detector. I guess it’s time to call LR Support
Never a dull moment with a RR....I’ve had a few and could write a book! I was hoping that the Velar would be different.

telstar5564

Post by telstar5564 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:45 am

I have a 240d SE, which has now done about 300 miles. Yesterday I noticed a distinct "burning" smell as I reversed, which seems similar to what some others have described. Curious, I lifted the bonnet to discover that there was smoke coming from the area of the catalytic converter at the rear of the engine. My first thought was that there was sufficient smoke continuing for there to be a small fire. The metal cover (at the rear left hand side of the engine bay) was extremely hot, (-even for an engine component) and others that had gathered round by then in the public car park were sufficiently concerned that they had already called the fire brigade. The fire service came very quickly and used a thermal camera to check the engine, and found that the cat converter was indeed still very hot. They also considered whether it could even be on fire, but after a while they were happy that this wasn't the case, and thankfully kept their hoses off the engine. . I rang JLR assistance (- on Christmas Day) and to their credit a technician arrived in quite a rural location in Kent within 90 minutes.

The point of this story is that the technician recognised the issue without even looking at the car, - and even correctly guessed the mileage. He told me that at about 250 miles the engine will try to enter its first "regeneration" cycle, and that the temperature in the catalytic converter will increase to over 600 degrees. As it does so, any oil or other residues on the converter assembly will burn off, causing a smell and sometimes some smoke. The residual heat in the converter is such that it can appear that there might be a source of fire. After a couple of rounds of full regeneration any residue will have been completely burnt, and the problem will then not reoccur. However, if the journey its interupted the regeneration will fail, and will need to start over again. Regeneration usually occurs at reasonable speed, so the problem isn't usually noticed except from when stationary,, when the smell can persist until all the residue is finally burnt. He thought that JLR really should have mentioned this to me when the car was collected, as this is a fairly common callout. To be quite sure he checked the car over regardless, and no other fault found then (or since). Better safe than sorry on this occasion, - and excellent service from JLR on the holiday.

Mattyp

Post by Mattyp » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:53 am

It’s the dpf regenerating, will do it every now and again
D300 hse r-dynamic
Black pack
Santorini black

EarthMover

Post by EarthMover » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:46 pm

nitinkf wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:38 am
I had this issue too, turned out that the engine exhaust manifold box had detached from the engine. This caused the exhaust fumes to recirculate back into the vehicle. Seemed this was a fault on the car from manufacture
I guess I must have the same issue. I thought I was going crazy with the smell but at least good to see I am not alone!
Range Rover Velar SE D300 R-Dynamic

Return to “Faults & Technical”