Range Rover Velar Forum banner

Gas/burning metal smell

20K views 29 replies 22 participants last post by  EarthMover 
#1 ·
Only had the car a few days and when running at low speed or standstill a gassy/aluminium smell comes into the cabin. Phoned dealer and they said it's probably the engine manifold heating up and it may smell for a few 100 miles or so and till it is run in a bit more. Anyone else had the same issue? If it continues more than another week I'll take it back in to get looked at.

#4 ·
Only driven mine for ten miles but after driving I could smell something burning which smelt like the brakes which is normal I guess for a new car as everything is worn in

#5 ·
mge.92 said:
Only driven mine for ten miles but after driving I could smell something burning which smelt like the brakes which is normal I guess for a new car as everything is worn in
Obviously the same smell. Wife won't go in the car until the smell goes, every cloud! 😂

#11 ·
Just got our D180 velar 10 days ago and only drove less than 400 km so far including highways , standard roads and traffic jams in Paris. Never had the smell issue. Apart from a warm rubber smell most probably from the tires after my first km on the highway. I suppose this is quite normal.

#15 ·
Hello

First post.
I have an issue with a diesel like smell entering the cabin. I have FE 300D, now at 1900 miles and the smell seems to be getting worse. I did initially think it was new car smell.
Smell seems worse in stop start traffic, but I think it is there all the time! On long journeys makes me feel ill. Passengers have noticed it as well.
Anyone experienced this?
Thanks

#16 ·
Could be injector seal, exhaust seal. I'd take it back in ASAP.

#17 ·
I have a similar problem and also a noise which sounds like a brake caliper dragging. Burning smell comes from the NSF wheel area and is only noticeable when driving slowly around town. Car has now done 4100 miles so unlikely to be new car burn in. Anyone noticed something similar?
Dealer not much help so far.

#20 ·
@sierrafoxtrott - Sounds like the same problem as I have. It's not constant though, and I can't seem to figure otu what triggers it. Usually lasts about 5-10 min and then stops again. Haven't had in in the last two weeks, still hoping for it to disappear. I'm at 5000km, FE D300.

#21 ·
Leonardo2017 said:
Hello

First post.
I have an issue with a diesel like smell entering the cabin. I have FE 300D, now at 1900 miles and the smell seems to be getting worse. I did initially think it was new car smell.
Smell seems worse in stop start traffic, but I think it is there all the time! On long journeys makes me feel ill. Passengers have noticed it as well.
Anyone experienced this?
Thanks
I'm new in this forum. Just got my new Velar R-dynamic SE 240D and I've the same diesel smell in the cabin, when I switch on the engine. It remains just for a while, then it disappear, but, of course, it's annoying. Just driven 300km. Called the dealer and waiting for their feed-back.
Keep you posted.

#23 ·
Exactly the same. And took it into the dealer and they suggested a long consistent highway drive and it seems to have done the trick. My dealer went so far to say that its very common with all the new LR, because there are so many recycled plastics and commonly they take a funky smell as the engine burns in. I have no idea if that's true - but he seemed rather proud in telling me this tidbit. :)

#25 ·
After checking deeper the car at dealer garage they found similar problem: it was missing one screw that fixes the exhaust manifold box to the engine and exhaust fumes conveyed inside the car when switching on. They called this as "Monday morning fail" during assembly at the plant....
After fixing it, no more smell in the car.

#26 ·
Simo03 said:
After checking deeper the car at dealer garage they found similar problem: it was missing one screw that fixes the exhaust manifold box to the engine and exhaust fumes conveyed inside the car when switching on. They called this as "Monday morning fail" during assembly at the plant....
After fixing it, no more smell in the car.
:shock: inhalating engine fumes into the cabin of car is definitely not a good idea. that's a very efficient way to commit suicide (if you derivate all the fumes). you could have got poisonned or have fallen asleep while driving on the highway...

kind of shocked they even have a way to call this at the plant. means it happens not so rarely...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.