low-frequency noise (vibration)

Faults and Technical chat for the Range Rover Velar
Agrad

low-frequency noise (vibration)

Post by Agrad » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:13 pm

Hello there! Tell me, has anyone noticed a low-frequency noise (vibration) in the car, that appears at speeds of 50-60 km/h or when you press the gas pedal when driving at low speed at engine just above 1000 rpm?

Anton, Russia.
Range Rover Velar P250S (249 hp) 2019.

AussieBill

Re: low-frequency noise (vibration)

Post by AussieBill » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:00 am

Hi Anton, I just took delivery of my new P250S in December 2020. I am having the same issue as you describe. It was my catalyst to join the forum.

I have not yet determined the cause. I suspect its a sound wave generated from the floor space. I'm searching for solutions and trying different things. If I find anything that help I'll come back and post an updated reply.

Bill, Australia
2020 P250 R-Dynamic

Spencerwilks

Post by Spencerwilks » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:19 am

This sounds like the drive line vibration that was the reason I had to reject 2 new Jaguar F paces which are built on the same platform as the Velar. JLR stated that this was a characteristic of the F pace and could not be rectified so it led to the rejection.
I have not had the same problem so far in 14 000 miles with the Velar.
2019 2.0 D 240 HSE Aruba/ Windsor Light Oyster heated and cooled 20 way seats, Air Suspension, Deployable Steps ,Matrix LED lights , Extended leather upgrade, Meriden 825W Sound, Heated steering wheel, Tracker. USA licence plate plinths.

slevvellar

Post by slevvellar » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:32 pm

I’m having the same issue. New Vellar 2020 with under 500 miles on it as of today. At around 1000 RPMs, there is a hum or drone type noise that resonates deeply in my ear drum. Feels like when the back window is open while driving.
Above 1K rpm, no problem. If driving in traffic, stop and go, and engine revs at around 1K RPM, this noise happens 100% of the time.
Feels like a low freq harmonic being generated by the engine at this low RPM. Brining my car in today and hope they can figure things out.

Agrad

Post by Agrad » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:01 am

slevvellar wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:32 pm
I’m having the same issue. New Vellar 2020 with under 500 miles on it as of today. At around 1000 RPMs, there is a hum or drone type noise that resonates deeply in my ear drum. Feels like when the back window is open while driving.
Above 1K rpm, no problem. If driving in traffic, stop and go, and engine revs at around 1K RPM, this noise happens 100% of the time.
Feels like a low freq harmonic being generated by the engine at this low RPM. Brining my car in today and hope they can figure things out.
Yes, that's an accurate description of when my noise comes up. It comes from engine vibrations when driving at such low revs!
And what did they say?

Gervel300d

Post by Gervel300d » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:42 am

I can only tell about my D300 MJ 19
I had the vibrating sound exactly at 1500rpm.
I was told this is the charchteristic.......several times over 1 1/2 yerars. Suddenly i had a vibrating sound while standing at the trafficlights. Every single stop. So i drove to the Dealer, and guess? I was told that this is a Range Rover, and he he could show me a Sport with even more vibrating. And finally: I hast a defective rear light, so again to the dealer. Got another mechanic, told about vibrating even while Just running, He listend, lifted, found, fixed with cable ties and.....gone!!!!
The 1500 Rom Vibration and the one while Standing!

I was told ist was the def AdBlue vibrating and hitting i think the body.

Im happy now

Gervel300d

Post by Gervel300d » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:13 pm

What i wanted to say:
It was the hose or the tube for the def fluid going along from behind to the front near the exhaust/Cat to the AdBlue injektion point.

kukoc7

Post by kukoc7 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:31 am

I recently started to notice similar behavior, but only with few difference:

- only on RPMs around 750 , when car is standing IDLE on "P"
- applying gas and raising the RPMs is removing the vibrations
- there is unpleasant feeling when getting out of the running car , just like mentioned in previous posts "back window is open while driving" in the space of door opening.

I got P250 engine. The car will be get service in April so I will certainly mention it to my dealer. No need to panic right now.

Agrad

Post by Agrad » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:28 pm

kukoc7 wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:31 am
I recently started to notice similar behavior, but only with few difference:

- only on RPMs around 750 , when car is standing IDLE on "P"
In my opinion this is normal for all cars!

Subzero288

Post by Subzero288 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:09 am

Has anyone gotten a good answer to this question? I have a P250 and the same issue: an annoying drone through the cabin when cruising at low RPMs (anything under 1,400). It’s obviously resonation from the 2.0 Turbo, so I brought the car to the dealership and they performed an ECU update. It helped a little, but the sound is still there and drives me nuts. I can correct it for by using the paddle shifters and downshifting to keep RPMs above 1,500 but I don’t think I should have to fix Land Rover’s mistake.