Dispute with dealer on front parking sensors

Faults and Technical chat for the Range Rover Velar
Firstlrvelar

Dispute with dealer on front parking sensors

Post by Firstlrvelar » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:06 am

Guys, thanks for the great forum and place to ask this.

I've own my 67 plate velar s180d for 3 weeks. I bought it from Lloyds LR of Ripon. On the drive back first few days I noticed some niggles

One being the front parking sensors weren't registering audio or visual warnings.

Called Ripon who said don't worry book it in with your local LR garage (I'm 2hrs from Ripon in Manchester) it will be sorted under warranty.

Today I was told by Knutsford LR
Your front bumper has parking sensors. BUT there is no wiring loom connecting to the car. Knutsford think it's been an accident repair and not complete repair just cosmetic.

I reported to Lloyds. After researching they came back to say well front parking sensors were optional on earlier models so they don't have to install/cover the looming costs.

I was amazed.

I need some help. Is there anywhere I can find out if the car had parking sensors installed from the factory. Their advert is no longer up so I can't see if they mentioned in the advert.

In my mind I've bought a car with obvious parking sensors in the bumper. I never thought to ask are they actually installed. That is misleading.

HarryR

Re: Dispute with dealer on front parking sensors

Post by HarryR » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:12 am

Wow! That is misleading :-(

I think there is a way to check what the original spec was but I’m not sure how. No doubt some of the other forum members will be able to advise.

If it turns out that the sensors were fitted and the repair is incomplete it might be worth reporting it to Trading Standards.

Simonh

Post by Simonh » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:37 am

TOPiX used to give you a full list of the build for the car but now doesn't. Ripon should be able to use their TOPiX account and search by VIN and give you a print out of the list. Maybe worth a call to another dealer too if you want to keep Ripon out of the loop.
Velar HSE D240 - MY19
Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 20 years of amazing customer service.

Firstlrvelar

Post by Firstlrvelar » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:42 pm

Simon thank you. I will ask Knutsford this direct question.

Really disappointed by the attitude from Lloyd's at Ripon.

MikeJL

Post by MikeJL » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:04 pm

If all else fails, a 1 hour subscription to topix costs £21.60.

https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topi ... lookupForm
D240 HSE 18MY. Firenze Red, Eclipse Interior, Panoramic Roof, Air Suspension
20 way electric seats with 14 way memory :-(
Software Version: 20C

DaveW

Post by DaveW » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:10 pm

Looking on Land Rover approved used there appear to be Velars for sale with no parking sensors visible on the front bumper.

It makes sense that if they weren’t fitted there would be no sign at all of them on the bumper.

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:36 pm

DaveW wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:10 pm
Looking on Land Rover approved used there appear to be Velars for sale with no parking sensors visible on the front bumper.

It makes sense that if they weren’t fitted there would be no sign at all of them on the bumper.
Maybe not? My son’s Mercedes Benz SLC200 has front park sensors embedded in the bumper. We bought it from new, factory build to our own spec. We didn’t option front sensors. Sometimes manufacturers find it faster and cheaper to instal the components but just not activate them.

Some folk have said as much on this forum with other options for the Velar - wiring loom to be all in place on certain features but they cannot activate them.

Check the original spec of your car. Topixx is worth a go.

Arianne
D300 R-dynamic with lots of optional toys. Corris Grey, sunroof, activity bracelet, configurable lighting, 825w Meridian sound, heated everything, configurable dynamics, full leather pack, summer / winter tyres & the important cup holder cover!

Firstlrvelar

Post by Firstlrvelar » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:50 am

Resolution

Sadly not in my favour, after further inspection there are sensors in the grille in all models but as other have said 67 plate had the optional front sensors and if not selected no sensors appear in the wheel arch bumper but the grille came with preinstakled sensors but not wired.

Unfortunately after a couple of calls it seems like I can't get them installed or wired up to the existing software.

Disappointing, guess I need to be more careful (or get a bull bar fitted)

Thanks for your help and advice.

Pat27

Post by Pat27 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:52 pm

Pretty certain someone will be able to retrofit them, a quick Google produced this for example.
http://www.avsolutions.co.uk/blog/2018/ ... g-sensors/