Car Wobble & Vibration

Faults and Technical chat for the Range Rover Velar
Nayimac

Car Wobble & Vibration

Post by Nayimac » Sat May 01, 2021 1:55 pm

Hi all,

Posting on behalf of my dad who currently has a velar with a bit of a problem...
Car doesn’t very positive when driving.. seems like it’s wobbling.. especially when braking the car almost feels like it has a snaking effect. You can even just change lanes on a motorway the car wobbles.
The steering wheel doesn’t shake or anything. Could this be suspension related?
Also sitting in the passenger seat now there seems to be constant vibration in the seat?

Fenton

Re: Car Wobble & Vibration

Post by Fenton » Sun May 02, 2021 10:10 am

Give all the wheels a vigorous shake; any movement or clunks? (Maybe a friend can look underneath whilst you're doing this checking for loose joints/bushes).
Wheel nuts tight and tyres/rims good?
Has the car been in an accident or had a nasty moment like kerbing/potholes?
On the face of it this sounds unpleasant. Go to a qualified mechanic or dealer to check underneath for a suspension fault. Air suspension?

If you (or Dad) feel this is dangerous then don't delay.

Ace

Post by Ace » Sun May 02, 2021 11:30 pm

HI,

I Have the same issue, driving the car and it starts to wobble left to right intermittently when driving over 40 mph.
Car has recently had 2 health checks and new brakes and discs but nothing has come up.
Steering does not shake either but car feels like it moving left to right coming from the rear wheels and pretty scary as does not feel under control.
Has standard suspension not air.
Almost feels like no traction control or that the car has gone on to a different driving mode.
Booking it in with the dealers this week.
Let me know if you get to the bottom of it.

Thanks

Snape

Post by Snape » Mon May 03, 2021 11:34 pm

Hi!
I posted a similar issue (just the wobble) some time ago but unfortunately got no response. My 2017 Velar is on 22 inch wheels with tires that have done 40000 kms and there was some thoughts that this may contribute. Hadn't thought about the traction control!
I too have had the dealer inspect the car and had an alignment , but no joy. I will be doing a return trip for another assessment but this time I will pick a stretch of road that will demonstrate the wobble (last time we just drove around city streets that did not adequately replicate the situation) I will hopefully get an answer which I will post. The South Island NZ dealer is in Christchurch, 4hours away, so not sure when I will get there.
Regards.
Peter

Ace

Post by Ace » Tue May 04, 2021 4:10 pm

Hi,

I’ve only had the car a month, approved used with extended warranty, started on 20inch alloys and just this weekend upgraded to brand new 22inch with new tyres.
Problem still persists, took it to the dealership today and went on a drive with one of the engineers who said he has never experienced anything like it in the 4 years he has been there.
Left it with them so will keep posted on any news.

P380NarvikEclipse

Post by P380NarvikEclipse » Tue May 04, 2021 9:51 pm

Interesting reports. Would you kindly mind sharing specs around Year, Engine, Suspension type and any other possible details for the forum so we can track if there’s any commonalities for those experiencing the issue?
‘18 RR Velar R-Dynamic SE P380, Narvik Black wrapped in Xpel Stealth PPF, Eclipse interior and a number of extras

Ace

Post by Ace » Wed May 05, 2021 12:59 am

Hi,

LANDROVER RANGE ROVER VELAR R-DYNAMIC SE D180
2.0 diesel
Standard non air suspension
45 thousand mileage

Had the same problem on the 20in alloys, upgraded to brand new 22in with new tyres, problem remains.

New brake discs and pads.

Car drives straight no leaning to left or right.

Had health check last week when brakes and pads was done with no faults.

The issue can happen when braking but also when driving normally above 40mph, all of a sudden car rocks left to right almost like on automation.

Thanks

P380NarvikEclipse

Post by P380NarvikEclipse » Wed May 05, 2021 1:02 pm

Thanks very much, Ace. So far two are 17 MY, we’ll see what the other’s specs will show.

Are you also experiencing the seat vibration mentioned by OP?
‘18 RR Velar R-Dynamic SE P380, Narvik Black wrapped in Xpel Stealth PPF, Eclipse interior and a number of extras

Ace

Post by Ace » Thu May 06, 2021 10:46 pm

Hi,

no seat vibration just the wobble.

Thanks

Ace

Post by Ace » Mon May 10, 2021 9:06 pm

Hi,

Car sorted, it was the rear toe arm on rear drivers side, JLR replaced both sides under warranty.

Was told that the drivers side was worn and should have been picked up under the health check at Farnells Leeds when i bought it a month ago.

Thanks