Range Rover Velar Forum banner

waze on the velar

9K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Joe 
#1 ·
Just curious

did somebody tried to buy an hdmi/airplay dongle in order to display the phone screen on one of the velar display ?
The idea is to have waze and/or google maps which are still the best tool to navigate in city traffic.
After an initial setup on the velar's wifi network to should be easy to use.

Pierre

#2 ·
@ Pierre : welcome. Nice to see another French here :)

Not 100% sure what can / has to be done. I am doing massive airplay for music at home thanks to my wifi provider (Free). But I never used airplay for video signal.

Do you mean that if I buy something like the dongle below :

https://www.amazon.fr/EZCast-2-4G-Affichage-Sans-Fil-R%C3%A9cepteur/dp/B01J7SKDJI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507536816&sr=8-1&keywords=dongle+airplay+hdmi

I will be able to :
1. plug this dongle onto the HDMI slot of the velar
2. stream my Iphone screen onto the HDMI, only by using airplay from my Iphone. No additional hardware to plug on the Iphone ?

If so this is a brilliant idea and I'll buy the stuff to try.

But, Is waze compatible with airplay ?

Is this the appropriate dongle ?

sorry for my silly questions but I am kind of newbie here :eek:

#4 ·
GEE said:
As far as I'm aware, only the over priced official Apple HDMI adapter allows for the screen to be mirrored without a need for an App to be running.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MD826ZM/A/lightning-digital-av-adapter

TBH, I've been impressed with the commute mode in the built-in Sat Nav with live traffic. Since I've turned it on, I no longer use google maps to navigate.
@ Gee : thanks for your feedback. I've seen terrible reviews on those cheap EZCast dongle in the meantime. In addition it seems to require a wifi access. not ideal.

How did you get the Live Traffic to work. I do have ICTP Services, but traffic seems unavailable. Do I need to insert a data sim card for this or is there a way for the ICTP to use my Iphone data (I could share network).

#5 ·
Ludo said:
GEE said:
As far as I'm aware, only the over priced official Apple HDMI adapter allows for the screen to be mirrored without a need for an App to be running.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MD826ZM/A/lightning-digital-av-adapter

TBH, I've been impressed with the commute mode in the built-in Sat Nav with live traffic. Since I've turned it on, I no longer use google maps to navigate.
@ Gee : thanks for your feedback. I've seen terrible reviews on those cheap EZCast dongle in the meantime. In addition it seems to require a wifi access. not ideal.

How did you get the Live Traffic to work. I do have ICTP Services, but traffic seems unavailable. Do I need to insert a data sim card for this or is there a way for the ICTP to use my Iphone data (I could share network).
I'm using a data sim. I reckon 2GB for the year would be more than sufficient. Before I got a data sim, I did use the hotspot feature on my iPhone to give data access to my ICTP and if I recall correctly, traffic worked then as well. The reason why I went with a data sim is because my ICTP wouldn't automatically connect to my iPhone, I had to keep manually connecting.

#6 ·
[/quote]

I'm using a data sim. I reckon 2GB for the year would be more than sufficient. Before I got a data sim, I did use the hotspot feature on my iPhone to give data access to my ICTP and if I recall correctly, traffic worked then as well. The reason why I went with a data sim is because my ICTP wouldn't automatically connect to my iPhone, I had to keep manually connecting.
[/quote]

@ Gee. thanks for this . I shall test tonight ICTP connection on my iphone shared wifi. Eventually I will order a data sim

#7 ·
I have purchased the dongle , will test it at home in the next days. I keep you posted. If it does not work well a hdmi adaptor for the iPhone might work too.
I am not sure that traffic service have the same level in all countries ...but if it works in France, Ludo keep me posted.

#10 ·
Well if HDMI IS SHUT off while driving then the debate is closed

By the way WiFi search can. Or be performed while driving either. So has to be set up before departure. And it is not automatic on restart. So definitely to get traffic , I recommend a sim data. I ordered one with 5 GB FOR 5 €/month.

I also confirm that the traffic gps is not so bad compared to waze. Not as fast in handling situations but does the job really

#11 ·
#12 ·
Hey everyone,
Just had Naviks send me a video of their solution working on the Velar's Touch Pro Duo:

Looks pretty legit for those looking to use Waze/Google Maps/anything you'd like to mirror on the top display of the Velar while driving via HDMI from a device. They confirmed it's $250 USD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.