Auto Stop/Start Stopped Working

Faults and Technical chat for the Range Rover Velar
MITO

Re: Auto Stop/Start Stopped Working

Post by MITO » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:04 am

I told my dealer about this problem, and they said they updated the software controlling the auto stop/start system when the car was in a couple of weeks ago. They said the system would reset after about a 30 mile drive.

A couple of 200 mile drives later and it still isn’t working.

So I guess I haven’t figured out the problem yet, and it isn’t just me.

melbarro

Post by melbarro » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:05 am

Ive noticed this too. Initially the auto stop start activated on most stops, then it became far less frequent - then I went for a very long drive over 5 days 1500km all highway) AND after that it started working for a short while but has now stopped working again.
Given the list of conditions in which it operates (as posted above) I wonder if once the battery level drops below about 95% it stops working (and that the very long drive I did took it back up above that level).
This would be consistent with other posts referring to JLR cars as being very "battery thirsty" and batteries requiring more regular replacement than on other makes.
It doesnt really worry me as I generally find it a bit of nuisance, and always found that when it did activate, the engine didnt stay off for very long anyway, and in longish stops in traffic it would automatically start up again anyway - hence I'm quite skeptical as to whether it makes any noticecable improvement on fuel consumption. I certainly havent notice any increase at all in fuel use since its not been working.
Cheers
P300 RDynamic HSE corris, sliding pano roof, laser led headlights, 20" diamond cut wheels, air susp, full ext leather, HUD, surround cameras, activity bracelet, config interior lighting, DAB, rear heated seats.

P380NarvikEclipse

Post by P380NarvikEclipse » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:18 am

Mine seems to have randomly started working again this past week, and coincides with warmer weather in NYC (hit 80°F randomly last Friday after a long winter). I don’t know for sure, but given my start/stop worked in October when I took delivery and subsequently stopped working until it warmed up, I have to assume the velar’s energy usage threshold for it working is low compared to other cars while in winter conditions (heated seats, wheel, air etc). I also asked them to check the system when I went in for 17C in January, and they confirmed it was working as intended (it didn’t do anything until this past Friday though..). For what it’s worth, I much preferred it not working :lol:
‘18 RR Velar R-Dynamic SE P380, Narvik Black wrapped in Xpel Stealth PPF, Eclipse interior and a number of extras

MITO

Post by MITO » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:09 pm

Bumping this for an update. I just had my 1 year service, and the dealer looked into why the stop-start system wasn't kicking in on my car. Apparently when the battery charge is less than 80% the system is disabled. Once they charged up my battery the system worked again. I'll see how long that lasts. It is odd since I often do ~200 mile trips and those don't seem to be sufficient to keep the battery above 80%.

Whether I want the stop-start system active is of course a separate debate...

Loz

Post by Loz » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:07 pm

Do you leave your car unlocked at all? Others have reported that systems stay alive if the car is not locked. Also, your car might by some very rare chance have a fault causing power drain even when supposedly all systems are shut down.

Walrus

Post by Walrus » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:17 pm

My stop/start has not worked since late April (car then 5 months old): I will get it checked when next serviced, whenever that is (currently on 12,000 miles and 9 months).
P300 R-Dynamic HSE Byron Blue

MITO

Post by MITO » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:48 pm

Loz wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:07 pm
Do you leave your car unlocked at all? Others have reported that systems stay alive if the car is not locked. Also, your car might by some very rare chance have a fault causing power drain even when supposedly all systems are shut down.
No, I always lock it. Haven’t had any symptoms of a low battery otherwise.

Loz

Post by Loz » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:06 pm

The start stop system is useless in my car. You can hear the engine start to shut down as demand is required and starts back up before shutting down. What a waste of wear abs tear and lost fuel. Even when in long stop start traffic the engine only shuts down for a maximum of 10 seconds before firing back up. Pretty useless and just another way car manufacturers tick compliance boxes without any reference to practicality or user experience.

orgonzal510

Post by orgonzal510 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:05 pm

I've experienced the same. Recently I found out that if you run the car with the air conditioner off, it starts working again. Also the car stays off for a longer period in longer stops if you keep the air cond off. After doing this, the auto start/stop started working again normally ( with the air cond on)

djmodifyd

Post by djmodifyd » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:55 pm

mine was doing this as well. Dealer ended up replacing the battery as the code the vehicle was giving as the reason the start/stop was defeated was "low main battery voltage". It has worked as designed ever since, plus the vehicle stays off WAYYYYY longer than it did when I first bought the vehicle.

Return to “Faults & Technical”