Creaky headliner...easy fix!

Faults and Technical chat for the Range Rover Velar
KRG

Creaky headliner...easy fix!

Post by KRG » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:11 pm

Not sure how common this issue is, but I've noticed it in my Velar on and off since delivery. It's fairly widespread in the F-Pace, and it was on their forum that I discovered a fix.

Basically, sometimes over uneven payment, up inclines, etc....I'd get a creaking/crackling sound from the ceiling. Initially I assumed it was the pano sunroof flexing and ignored it. It turns out it was the headliner. The grab handles mounted on the ceiling are bolted too tightly, causing the headliner to flex against the car frame and creak. On each of the grab handles there are two T30 torx bolts under small covers that you can pry open with your fingers or something small like a flathead screwdriver. I loosened all the screws by a half turn, relieving the tension on the headliner. Creaks are gone. Thank you F-Pace forums.
18 Velar R-Dynamic SE P250, Narvik Black/Eclipse

Fluke

Re: Creaky headliner...easy fix!

Post by Fluke » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:57 pm

Wow. I hear a slight creak every time I pull out of my driveway at the curb. Like you just assumed it was normal stuff due to uneven pavement. Will look into this further now.
R-Dynamic SE P380 Santorini Black

mge.92

Post by mge.92 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:02 am

That's what it was. Was checking all the trim and even the roof. Can anyone confirm that the seals are okay because for some reason my seals on the roof are weird. It goes from flush to under the panel to flush to under the panel again before becoming flush again.

2018-02-18 17.10.24.jpg

2018-02-18 17.10.02.jpg

Marc
SOLD - 13 BMW X3 28i, Carbon Black, Fully Loaded, Tuned and Featured on Smoking Tire
18 Velar R-Dynamic HSE D300, Carpathian Grey / Vintage Tan / Ebony, Fully Loaded

Ludo

Post by Ludo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:01 pm

I'll check mine and tell you
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
MY18 Velar D180 R-Dyn S, Corris, Black sliding pano roof, 20'' black rims, Black leather, Teinted glass. delivered oct. 2
2014 Freelander 2 D160 HSE

KRG

Post by KRG » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:59 pm

mge.92 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:02 am
That's what it was. Was checking all the trim and even the roof. Can anyone confirm that the seals are okay because for some reason my seals on the roof are weird. It goes from flush to under the panel to flush to under the panel again before becoming flush again.
Yeah, mine are the same. I’ve noticed when washing the car. I don’t think it’s a source of noise; at least not that I’ve noticed.
18 Velar R-Dynamic SE P250, Narvik Black/Eclipse

lsegnini

Post by lsegnini » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:59 pm

Hey KRG, I have the exact same issue that you had. Would it be possible to share a picture of the screws you adjusted just to make sure I am doing the right thing?

Thank you sir!

markah

Post by markah » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:11 pm

Mine has stopped creaking for winter. I will make this adjustment when it reoccurs. I has suspected the grab handle for a while and jammed a bit of plastic in it, but the creaking came back.
D300, Corris, Black pack, Glossy 21" black rims, Black & pan roof.

Return to “Faults & Technical”