Noisy tyres and vacuum effect on my ears

Forum for Land Rover Customer Relations
stephen

Noisy tyres and vacuum effect on my ears

Post by stephen » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:55 pm

Just received my new Velar and I'm finding the tyres very noisy. The noise is coming up to the cabin and seems to be affecting my ears in a sort of dull drumming effect, a bit like when you open one window slightly but not as violent.

Anyone else had a problem like this or similar?

markah

Re: Noisy tyres and vacuum effect on my ears

Post by markah » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:20 pm

My Velar is fine. But I experienced a weird booming noise through the cabin on a BMW X3 35d and it was horrendous.

What tyres are on your car?
'18 D300 RDS, Corris, Black pack, Glossy 21" black rims, Black & pan roof.

Pat27

Post by Pat27 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:37 am

I wonder if one of the rears is out of balance ? If it was a front you would feel it through the steering - I had similar on a BMW as well

HarryR

Post by HarryR » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:48 pm

It could also be a faulty or deformed tyre.

Gill anderton

Post by Gill anderton » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:51 pm

Got my new Velar in June and have experienced exactly the same (even to using the exact terminology you used re opening a back window). As I type the car is back with Range Rover while they investigate the possible problems. They diagnosed that the gear box was slightly misaligned and corrected it but that has not solved the problem.
I also think the tyres might be the problem and will continue to return until the problem is solved. Will post any further information.

arsi

Post by arsi » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:16 pm

What tyres and rims do you have? Mine are Continental Cross Contacts 275/45R21.

I have exactly same noise you are describing and have had my vehicle inspected by dealer several times to check that there is nothing loose, misaligned or out of balance. Only explanation they have given to me is that the drumming sound is 'tyre ringing'.

Loudness of the noise is dependent on surface roughness. Also I have noted that if temperature is low, about 0-5C, there is no noise until I have driven some time.

I had a Jaguar XF as a loaner once, and I noticed that it made similar but much fainter noise. I have not heard this from any other loaners (F-pace Velar, RRS, Ewok...)

Simonh

Post by Simonh » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:30 pm

Mine are 21” Contis too and I don’t get any appreciable noise from them unless on a rough tarmac surface.
Velar HSE D240 - MY19 (1st Range Rover and my 10th LR now)
Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 20 years of amazing customer service.

bravojinsung

Post by bravojinsung » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:22 am

275/45R21? Not 265?

Can we put 275? May I ask which rims you have?

arsi wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:16 pm
What tyres and rims do you have? Mine are Continental Cross Contacts 275/45R21.

I have exactly same noise you are describing and have had my vehicle inspected by dealer several times to check that there is nothing loose, misaligned or out of balance. Only explanation they have given to me is that the drumming sound is 'tyre ringing'.

Loudness of the noise is dependent on surface roughness. Also I have noted that if temperature is low, about 0-5C, there is no noise until I have driven some time.

I had a Jaguar XF as a loaner once, and I noticed that it made similar but much fainter noise. I have not heard this from any other loaners (F-pace Velar, RRS, Ewok...)

geniusloci

Post by geniusloci » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:12 am

With default rims with 45 offset, 275/ would be nearly touching the upper arm (or it is part of the knuckle, darn if I know what's called). 265/4/21" and I can't even try inserting the tip of my pinky there, and I don't have big hands.

The Contis have huge blocks in the thread, and they don't seem to have anti-noise pattern of any sort, I've always assumed they would be too noisy. I'll take a shot if you want to show you - I've recently received 5 21" wheels with 2x Pirelli Scorpion Zero (same as the ones I have), 2x Michelin Latitude Tour HP and 1x Conti Cross Contact AT - the Contis look like an off-road tyre compared to the other two.
ImageFirst Edition D300 HSE in Silver Flux Matte, Cete Automotive Active Sound, Pirelli Scorpion All Season tyres

Return to “Land Rover Customer Relations”