Velar Rear End Crash

Forum for Land Rover Customer Relations
AJR300

Velar Rear End Crash

Post by AJR300 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:49 am

By way of a change this is not a complaint!

A week ago a large truck rear ended the car. Very grateful that we were in such a strong car.

The emergency system called the police probably reducing the time it took for the emergency services . I had a forward facing dash cam running and I have definitive proof of conditions etc.

The cam ran for several minutes before the battery failed - I think that illustrates how bad the accident was. I would enjoy the opportunity to speak to LR people so that they can get feedback and I have one simple suggestion - the L R emergency operator tried to speak to us and after some minutes of no response he passed us to N Yorkshire police emergency services. However whilst the LR operator did a professional hand over the NY operator did not record the grid reference. It then took several minutes for her to try and tell her the location. I was in serious shock and was hardly coherent. Finally I opened What3Words and she seemed very relieved.

If the LR operator had been able to switch the vehicle reference to What3Words it would have saved several minutes.

For owners who may read this I have 2 recommend actions. Fit a dashcam - all 3 of our cars are going to have them, with rear facing cameras! Your memory is faulty and nobody knows what the 3rd party will say.

Get What3Words on your phone.

In fact why doesn't LR fit it to the nav system instead of where are you function? In an emergency it could appear on the nav and dashboard .

If LR would like to contact I suggest they contact Tony Carr at Rybrook Huddersfield and he has my permission to give LR my contact details

Rishiz

Re: Velar Rear End Crash

Post by Rishiz » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:40 pm

Glad you are safe, which is most important - everything comes next.

The thought of having a dash cam been on my mind for long now, its the long wire that runs all over from the rear to the front cam that puts me off.
That is just a lame excuse I know.

Tonyatwhitby

Post by Tonyatwhitby » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:03 am

Fitted a front and rear dashcam to my vehicle - hard wired using a piggy back fuse and I am very much an amateur. rear wiring was fairly easy - I ran the cable from the front camera by easing the wire between the top of the window and the roof, across the front door/window pillar and hiding it in the join, then eased under the roof lining join and right to the back.

I then eased the roof lining down from the trunk and pulled the wire through , took off the rubber boot between roof and tailgate and threaded wire through to rear window. (used a long tie wrap tape and and liquid soap to get the wire through) (Utube is my friend)

Next step involved black gaffer tapeing the wire to the window trim to the centre then across the black trip to where I fastenend the camer with tape and a plastic glue. Works very well.

Only are that I will improve on is the earth connection which I temporarily fastenend to a front seat chassis bolt as I couldnt find an alternative, whilst it works ok I am not happy with it there.

Tony

Jenbutmad

Post by Jenbutmad » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:59 pm

Tonyatwhitby wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:03 am
Fitted a front and rear dashcam to my vehicle - hard wired using a piggy back fuse and I am very much an amateur. rear wiring was fairly easy - I ran the cable from the front camera by easing the wire between the top of the window and the roof, across the front door/window pillar and hiding it in the join, then eased under the roof lining join and right to the back.

I then eased the roof lining down from the trunk and pulled the wire through , took off the rubber boot between roof and tailgate and threaded wire through to rear window. (used a long tie wrap tape and and liquid soap to get the wire through) (Utube is my friend)

Next step involved black gaffer tapeing the wire to the window trim to the centre then across the black trip to where I fastenend the camer with tape and a plastic glue. Works very well.

Only are that I will improve on is the earth connection which I temporarily fastenend to a front seat chassis bolt as I couldnt find an alternative, whilst it works ok I am not happy with it there.

Tony
Can I ask what rear dash cam your running? I have a hard wired blackvue and Halfords failed to fit to read so I’m going to have to black mail some friends to help out. Front one is in but rear is proving more troublesome.

Tonyatwhitby

Post by Tonyatwhitby » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:09 am

Fitted the ORSKEY Dash Cam for Cars Front and Rear 1080P Full HD In Car Camera Dual Lens Dashcam for Cars 170 Wide Angle Sony Sensor with Loop Recording and G-sensor . From Amazon - where else!

Spencerwilks

Post by Spencerwilks » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:45 pm

Have a look at the new “Discovery Rear End Crash” with its same silly wonky numberplate and 1960s matt black panel.
I thought that Gerry McGovern could have done better than this after all the complaints!

F09038D0-EC9A-4C3E-A59F-79E3A1BDCDF8.png

2019 2.0 D 240 HSE Aruba/ Windsor Light Oyster heated and cooled 20 way seats, Air Suspension, Deployable Steps ,Matrix LED lights , Extended leather upgrade, Heated steering wheel, Tracker. USA licence plate plinths .Rusty brake discs!