Forum for Land Rover Customer Relations
liben96

Re: Premature Brake Disc Corrosion

Post by liben96 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:30 pm

Can some of you guys post some pictures where can see the corrosion? :(

Spencerwilks

Post by Spencerwilks » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:31 pm

See latest thread on Forum “Brake Squeal” where a photograph of typical rusty brake discs on JLR vehicles has been posted.JLR Customer Relations Department stated that this is fair wear and tear and would not be considered as a warranty claim.My Velar a year old was purchased in August 2020 with 10 600 miles on the clock having previously been a JLR managers car. OW 19 ZTX
At my own expense I had the discs removed skimmed to remove the rust and repainted to make them look acceptable on a £70K car when new. The attitude of JLR on the problem of rusty discs across the range of vehicles is not acceptable.

CE74C99F-7441-4EAB-853A-3E404760426B.png

1981Linley

Post by 1981Linley » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:13 pm

Mine are just like the ones in that picture too. I've had enough of LR to be honest after a Disco 3, 4, RR Evoque and the current Velar. Had problems with all but the Evoque, but only had that a year tbh.

CRC@LandRover

Post by CRC@LandRover » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:41 pm

1981Linley wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:13 pm
Mine are just like the ones in that picture too. I've had enough of LR to be honest after a Disco 3, 4, RR Evoque and the current Velar. Had problems with all but the Evoque, but only had that a year tbh.
Hi 1981Linley,

Thank you for your post and your patience in waiting for a response.

I am deeply concerned to learn of you experience and would like to investigate further. Please may I request that you send me a PM and provide your Vehicle Identification Number and your contact details, and I would be happy to escalate your concerns within the relevant area of the business.

Many thanks, Dan - Land Rover UK

Spencerwilks

Post by Spencerwilks » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:34 pm

This is very interesting and positive that Dan from Customer Relations has responded to you in this way. Perhaps they have had a change of policy under the new CEO Thierry Bellore who did pledge to improve customer service. On every conversation I have had with CRC since last August they have always stated that rusty brake discs were not a warranty issue rather being fair wear and tear which many of us have rightly disagreed with. I hope that you will receive a good outcome and get your rusty discs replaced under warranty. Please keep us posted.
2019 2.0 D 240 HSE Aruba/ Windsor Light Oyster heated and cooled 20 way seats, Air Suspension, Deployable Steps ,Matrix LED lights , Extended leather upgrade, Meriden 825W Sound, Heated steering wheel, Tracker. USA licence plate plinths.

Davelar

Post by Davelar » Sat May 01, 2021 8:41 pm

Hi All
I have an ex demo MY2020 Velar R Dynamic D180 SE with 5,000miles on the clock. Having owned it now for 7 months I have noticed the brake discs deteriorating with corrosion pitting prominent on all discs. Prior to buying the Velar I was a dedicated Ford owner and never encountered this problem with the driving format being the same.
I have emailed the dealer to get his reaction but as yet no response (bank holiday weekend)
I hoping to get these changed under warranty, otherwise I'll have to get them skimmed up locally - not good!

Rear Offside.JPG

Rear Nearside.JPG

Front Offside.JPG

Front Nearside.JPG

Mester-D

Post by Mester-D » Sat May 01, 2021 10:03 pm

Seems like this is prevalent on most Velars and probably other models.
Just recently purchased a Velar (3 weeks ago) and Mine is a 2018 model, I noticed how rusty the brake discs/calipers were when I went to view it, I also looked at another 20 plate velar parked next to mine....and they were just as rusty... I've never owned a car that actually has rust showing on the disc surface before...you'd think that braking would leave a shiny disc as every other car would.

I'll be onto my dealer tomorrow (Hull Landrover) with this and a few other idiosyncrasies that Velars seem to have... rear wash wipe not washing (pipe probably popped off, another common issue), parking sensors not working, panoramic roof blind stopped automatically opening, the rear roof spoiler black side trims faded/milky......and lastly two days after I'd got it home the engine check light came on whilst driving to work and it turned out I needed a new 'Matter sensor' circa £350... which Land Rover Assist duly replaced foc... Imo None of these issues are acceptable on vehicles of this calibre.
This is the most expensive car I've personally purchased, yet I've never had any issues with any of the previous cars I've owned at lesser values...Rant over😄
2018 D300 R-dynamic HSE, pan roof, Kaikoura sand, Acorn leather, 21" 5047 style Diamond cut wheels.

Maxfactor

Post by Maxfactor » Sat May 15, 2021 2:11 pm

I turned down one velar as the dealer pointed out that at 12,000 miles it had just had to have new disks and pads all round due to corrosion!!! I had assumed that it has been parked in the sea or spent its time on salty roads and not been looked after, until I heard the back story after I'd already booked mine. Image here below, car has 19000 (note callipers too). Shameful. :evil: Dealer not interested , he says LR claim its fair wear and doesn't affect operation.

1) Absolutely does affect operation as the surface area for pad friction is massively reduced from what was intended.
2) Demonstrates contempt for customers who have bought a British "premium" car
3) Shows that servicing at LR to get "genuine parts" is a positive disincentive - a counterfeit factory in the back streets of Bangalore could produce a better lasting product and at eBay prices.

IMG_1308.jpg

Maxfactor

Post by Maxfactor » Sat May 15, 2021 2:25 pm

Mester-D wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 10:03 pm
This is the most expensive car I've personally purchased, yet I've never had any issues with any of the previous cars I've owned at lesser values...Rant over😄
Same here too. My technical snag list is growing, inline with the ignorant and belligerent attitude or the salesperson and dealer management. More on that in another thread later.

Mester-D

Post by Mester-D » Sat May 15, 2021 5:48 pm

Same here too. My technical snag list is growing, inline with the ignorant and belligerent attitude or the salesperson and dealer management. More on that in another thread later.
What dealership are you dealing with? I'll no doubt read your woes if you create another thread then...not good is it... and a sure way of not buying the marque again after a poor experience.

I'm taking mine back to Hull Landrover tomorrow, they offered to pick it up but I want to personally show them the 'issues' I'm having...Which are:-

• Blind stopped automatically opening when car unlocked/Door opened (not a real issue, but still an electrical glitch).
• Park sensors not working (Camera works still)

• Rear wash wipe not connected, water floods out from offside front wheel

• Rear spoiler trim faded one side.

• Rear fuse cover doesn't fit properly at all (and I mean AT ALL.!!.)

• Front Passenger door seal holding water within the seal. (No other door does it)

• Brake discs rusty
Hopefully they will be sorted with no quibbles, but it hasn't given me much faith for the potential future problems that may arise....I can see me selling before my warranty finishes in May 22🙄
2018 D300 R-dynamic HSE, pan roof, Kaikoura sand, Acorn leather, 21" 5047 style Diamond cut wheels.