Range Rover Velar Forum banner

Trickle Charger

13K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  philm 
#1 ·
Hi, Iam a newbie had the Velar for 3 months and well pleased however dont do a great deal of mileage and now with corona virus it will be very little for the next 12 weeks. Therefore thinking about fitting a trickle charger which one would be suitable. I have looked at CTEK MXS5.0 and CT5 STOP/START
Any recommendations would be helpful CHEERS

#5 ·
I use the CTEK MXS 5.0 with no problem, even leaving the car for three months at a time even with the blackvue front and rear camera's left on.

#6 ·
Hi, installed the CTEK MXS 5.0 Trickle charger 10 days ago as the low battery warning was appearing on the Velar at start up. The fitting of it was straight forward following the "Velar Battery Charger " instructions however you will need a small busbar to connect the Red eyelet which has a 6mmDia hole to the M8 battery connection. When powered up the charger was only on step2 but after 24 hrs it is now fully charged and on step 8 very pleased with the unit

#7 ·
I have been using the cheaper CTEK 0.8 for years on previous TVR that was plugged in all the time and it never failed. Great piece of kit and only £30

#8 ·
Has anyone tried trickle charging using the battery terminals in the engine compartment? I have a microprocessor controlled battery charger (DeWalt) that I use on my other (older) car and it works well (charging current is modulated depending upon battery charge state and ends in a float mode when charged) but I have been nervous about potentially damaging the Velar electrics.

#10 ·
Paul7 said:
Hi, installed the CTEK MXS 5.0 Trickle charger 10 days ago as the low battery warning was appearing on the Velar at start up. The fitting of it was straight forward following the "Velar Battery Charger " instructions however you will need a small busbar to connect the Red eyelet which has a 6mmDia hole to the M8 battery connection. When powered up the charger was only on step2 but after 24 hrs it is now fully charged and on step 8 very pleased with the unit
Where can I find the 'velar battery charger' instructions?
What do you mean by a 'red eyelet which has a 6mm...'? Is that something I have to buy separately?
Can someone post a picture or a video to know how connect it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.