Looking for advice

New to the Range Rover Velar Forums? Introduce yourself here
Stevep157

Looking for advice

Post by Stevep157 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:29 pm

Hi
Totally new to RR and have decided after much debate to go for a Velar. At present I have an Audi A6 2.0ltr Quattro Avant. Previous to that I have had 5 series estates. I have decide on the d240 R dynamic SE. So the question is I have around 3k to spec it with, and I’m lost! So any advice would be great, do I need the pan roof, air suspension? Or is it best go for more toys, which colour, it just goes on, and of course this is the best bit when ordering a car!

melbarro

Re: Looking for advice

Post by melbarro » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:27 am

Definitely get the panoramic roof .....prob fixed is sufficient as I rarely open mine ... But having the glass makes a huge difference and makes the cabin feel very light and spacious ...... Air suspension is good too .... But if you're never off bitumen its benefits are more marginal ...... The activity key I'm finding far more handy than I thought .... Gives you the option of not having to have bulky key in your pocket .... Essential when at beach ..... Handy when hiking too.
Cheers !
P300 RDynamic HSE corris, sliding pano roof, laser led headlights, 20" diamond cut wheels, air susp, full ext leather, HUD, surround cameras, activity bracelet, config interior lighting, DAB, rear heated seats.

Milky400

Post by Milky400 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:48 am

Not sure what’s standard. But digital screen for dash as opposed to analogue clocks, really wish I’d added heated steering wheel. activity key is brilliant, cooled seat for the summer especially if you’re a jeans wearer and have a light interior. Air suspension I would have loved, however was available on the D180 and I’m not sure in the reliability of air suspension as had friends with LR, Merc’s amd BMW that have all suffered failures.

With regards the pano roof, I personally found it a wast of time in the Evoque and Velar loan car. Great for kids I guess. I quite like the dark headlining making the cabin in my mind a better place to be. But eaxhbto there own, variety is the spice of life.

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:25 pm

An opening sunroof - mega so large - last week after a motorway drive of over 150 miles onto A roads - time to open roof what a transformation - really adds to the overall experience.
The Batmobile - D300 HSE R-Dynamic - Carpathian Grey black pack 21 inch black wheels

Ludo

Post by Ludo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:01 am

- + 1 for pano / opening roof. it's expensive 1.7 K€ but I have the feeling it adds value to the car. If you plan a resell in future it will open yourself a new market. Personnally I only purchase cars (new or 2nd hands) with opening roof. And I am not a smoker (anymore).
- I added the hugely expensive +500€ front sensors for the wife . maybe you have this already with SE pack?
- black roof : I like it now, not sure how I will perceive it in years from now
- digital dashboard : I don't have it and no regrets. I prefer analog + there s a central digitalk screen that 's very handy and gives basic GPS info such as next turn. does the job for me. like a hud, not as good but close
-air spring . do not have it . Wish I could have tested it . this forum reports a mixed opinion on this item. sounds like a nice toy

good choice
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
MY18 Velar D180 R-Dyn S, Corris, Black sliding pano roof, 20'' black rims, Black leather, Teinted glass. delivered oct. 2
2014 Freelander 2 D160 HSE

MITO

Post by MITO » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:25 pm

I love the panoramic roof - especially love driving with it open on sunny days. The vehicle would be too claustrophobic without it in my opinion. Kids love it too.

I didn't opt for air suspension, as I feared very expensive repair bills down the road. The coils are still very comfortable in my opinion. You probably get the most benefit from air suspension if you drive on rough roads (or off road) regularly.

I sometimes wish I had front parking sensors, but I have got used to the car so can generally manage fine without them.

I will see how much I miss not having cooled seats this summer...

Stevep157

Post by Stevep157 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:12 pm

Ok so consensus is pano roof, the se comes with a digital dash and when I look at the spec sheet loads of toys, so I’m thinking white with pan roof and black roof then the black wheels and the black pack, privacy glass, and I’m going to look into the activity key. Is there anything else that people have found really useful?

P380NarvikEclipse

Post by P380NarvikEclipse » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:16 pm

That sounds like a great spec so far. I personally use the adaptive cruise control w/ queue assist every time I drive in traffic or on a motorway/highway if I'm in no rush. It will "hold" the car at a full stop behind the car in front of you at red lights (though not if there's no car in front of you) and saves your calf muscle the extra workout in slow moving/stop n go traffic.

Depending on your budget, I would also opt for the extended leather upgrade or full upgrade, since at the end of the day, you spend a lot of time in the car and that extra leather wrapping everything that's visible is a nice touch. It's one of the items I didn't go for, and while I don't mind the standard dash material, if I went back, I'd do the full upgrade. Heated steering wheel has been great in the winter in combo with remote climate.

All of those are nice-to-haves and not required by any means. Let us know any questions and what you settle on!
‘18 RR Velar R-Dynamic SE P380, Narvik Black wrapped in Xpel Stealth PPF, Eclipse interior

Return to “Introductions”