Range Rover Velar Forum banner

Just ordered D180 R Dynamic SE - tell me I've done the right thing !!!!

19K views 42 replies 13 participants last post by  Adsgofast 
#1 ·
Ordered my first RR due to an unmissable deal and potentially once in a lifetime opportunity to own my dream car.......then i started reading all the posts on this forum, slightly nervous now !!!!!

Tell me most of the issues i've Read about were early models !!!

#2 ·
I did the same, ordered the car then found this forum! it's been said many times here, most cars are good & the forum attracts those with issues looking for solutions.
Most are software related & if you make sure the dealer updates the car before handover you should be OK. As of May 2018 (when I picked up mine), LR were still shipping cars with the original, buggy software. Some dealers are better than others at applying the updates, so you need to ask. Currently LR are on software release phase 4, maybe they'll be at 5 or 6 by the time you get your Velar (phase 5 is rumoured to be imminent).

Welcome to the club & good luck!

#3 ·
I suppose the first question, is did you test drive a Velar and, then secondly, were you happy with it?
If both answers are yes, then, other people's opinions are just that, opinions, it's your choice though.
With regards to forum posts, IMHO you can see a lot of (perceived) negative posts, people are hardly going to take the time to write about every positive thing on the car the works as expected .......... Headline news is only when people are unhappy or concerned, so these form the majority of posts.
I had a 62 plate Evoque and was a bit precious about it, anxiously spending time on the BabyRR forum and taking up points with my dealer etc. That said I had the car for 4 years and never really had major mechanical issues with it, just some niggly interior electronic issues (steering wheel controls).
I then moved onto leasing a 66 plate VW Touareg on a giveaway 2-year lease deal, I have had no issues with it either (still needs its first service as it is coming up to two years old and have never been to a dealer for any issues yet) and did not really care to be too emotionally involved in the car as I had no intention of owning the vehicle, however, I can honestly say that I thoroughly enjoyed the 269BHP 3.0 V6 engine (but not the fuel economy - I clearly have not mastered the art of frugal driving).
It was and is for the next two months a great drive even if the infotainment system is now a bit dated.
In mid-August ordered a D180 R-Dynamic SE with some decent options (Fuji White with black contrast Panoramic Roof and black roof rails, ebony roof lining, heated steering wheel, heated and cooled seats, privacy glass and surround camera) on a good PCP deal for less than £445pcm.
It will probably be as reliable as any other vehicle……………….

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies, I do accept the fact that the forums do tend to be a place to share bad news rather than good and I agree most of it software related topics.
Believe it or not I haven't test driven a Velar however I am very lucky and get to drive Range Rovers, RR Sports and Jaguars at work regularly so I'm hooked as a fan of the brand and I can't fault anything I've ever driven of theirs over the years.
I still can't believe my luck with the deal, up until two weeks ago I was one decision off leasing a new Ford Focus ST-line x with a 1.0 petrol engine!!!! Then a colleague phoned me with the deal he had been offered and that was it. Even Mrs D said it was too good to be missed.
Thanks again ....mine is due in November so three months of excitement and re-visiting decisions on what I've specc'd !!!!

#5 ·
You will love it! I collected mine on 01.09.18. My very first RR and I love it! I have a highly specced R Dynamic P250 HSE and happy with all the options etc.

I have to say the signature sound system is awesome as well as steering assist - makes long distance journeys a doddle.

Enjoy the wait (!) and you will no doubt love the car.

#7 ·
I had a 3 week 'test drive' (my Disco Sport was being fixed) in a top end D300 HSE R-Dynamic. I couldn't go back to my old car after it was fixed, so bought a 'pre depreciated by JLR' equivalent at one year old. It was indistinguishable from new and came with new software. My only issue was a popped compressor elbow which was fixed under warranty on my drive in under 2 hours from a call to JLR assist. Absolutely the best car I have ever had by miles and you won't regret it if you have the same experience as me. PS Upgrade to the cup holder cover as available from a thread in this forum for not much money, it completes the cabin.

#8 ·
No regrets.

Only issues I have faced is with the dealer Marshall Land Rover Cambridge. Truely shocking after sales care.

#9 ·
Thanks everybody for your replies and reassurance, this is like free therapy !!!! I cant wait, it;s an October build for a late November delivery but I'm in no rush as the PCP on my Mini Countryman Cooper S doesn't finish until December ....my dealer is Stratstone in Stoke . So far so good. I'll have look at that cup holder cover

#10 ·
Love mine, yes it has Niggles but boy oh boy it is beautiful

G
#11 ·
Daws4137 said:
Thanks everybody for your replies and reassurance, this is like free therapy !!!! I cant wait, it;s an October build for a late November delivery but I'm in no rush as the PCP on my Mini Countryman Cooper S doesn't finish until December ....my dealer is Stratstone in Stoke . So far so good. I'll have look at that cup holder cover
Congrats on your order Daws4137, joining the wait .. sure it will all be worth it 🤞

Would be interested to know if you have received a copy of your Vista order yet (my dealer is also stoke) and if there is anything regarding adaptive dynamics on there? as previously mentioned in another post people are appearing to be getting it added as no cost option on these MY19 SE orders and I just so happen to have paid the £800 for it :roll: still awaiting Andy/Adrians response.

Cheers,

Adam

G
#15 ·
Daws4137 said:
Adam......you're right adaptive dynamic is listed .....Ive took a screenshot but can't for the life of me work out how to attach it !!!!
Thanks for that Daws, much apprecaited .. gives me a bit more wiggle room tomorrow when I chase them :lol:

Noticed they haven't highlighted it on yours but have on mine along with other "additional/paid" options;Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 22.15.03.png

G
#19 ·
AlterBridged said:
I got mine added free too by the dealership for a 19 model year 👍
Dealer tells me that if you spec the standard 20's as the SE comes with, adaptive dynamics comes free then once you move up to the 21's its £800 for the wheels and £800 AD, seems a bit of a strange principle to me and also a bit baffled why on the configurator once you revert to the 20's it removes AD.

Have you stuck with the 20's also @AlterBridged?

#20 ·
Adam MG said:
AlterBridged said:
I got mine added free too by the dealership for a 19 model year 👍
Dealer tells me that if you spec the standard 20's as the SE comes with, adaptive dynamics comes free then once you move up to the 21's its £800 for the wheels and £800 AD, seems a bit of a strange principle to me and also a bit baffled why on the configurator once you revert to the 20's it removes AD.

Have you stuck with the 20's also @AlterBridged?
Nah I've gone for the 19s dark grey finish

Maybe it's dealer specific?

G
#25 ·
Ckvelar said:
So you have to add it as a paid option then they refund it you?
Hi Ckvelar,

I think how its working is if you spec any of the standard 20 inch alloys on the SE it is coming standard on most peoples vista orders (even though the configurator says it is a £800 option) I think the confusion arises if like myself you change the wheels for anything larger the configurator automatically selects the AD + Wheels as two separate options and charges for them both.

Still not sure how its going to work out but would assume I can just swap this for £800 of other options before spec lockdown (but still awaiting confirmation on that part)

Hope this helps,

Adam.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.