Range Rover Velar Forum banner

First Range Rover, dangerous situation

12K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Fenton 
#1 ·
Hi All
Not sure if this is a common fault, got a two week old Velar se 240, The bottom screen keeps going blank, we have been told that Land Rover are dealing with it ??, Today the speedo screen has gone blank,(dangerous situation when you are driving) Just waiting for the recovery trunk, has anybody else had this issue.

Cheers

Glyn

#2 ·
Not me but the bottom screen going blank has already been reported on this forum. This is something to be sorted by your dealer. If it happens again then reject the car since you are entitled to being in the UK...

#3 ·
+1
Not happened to me, but demand they prove a fix within your 30 days or reject it. Before I received the latest 17C update, the only screen glitch I had was my navigation display behind the steering wheel would stop displaying randomly about 5 times over 2 months while it continued to work on the top main display. It's since stopped faulting though.

#5 ·
Did it never come back on?

The first day I had my car the driver display crashed and restarted itself about 30 seconds later. Nearly 6 months later it has never done it again so I attribute it to software needing to optimize.

Actually. As the months go on, my software seems to be more stable all around. Maybe with more use, and turning it off and on hundreds of times, it's improved. Or maybe i'm Just numb to it now haha.

Good luck.

#6 ·
Happened when driving speedo screen blank and then an Air bank warning and then came back on ??. Recovery came disconnected the battery ??. because he said it is like your home computer when you unplug it, it will reset its self, I am still laughing, any way, cut a long story short I am dropping it off at the dealership in the morning and god knows what they will do with it, only done 132 miles not a good start, love the car but it is testing me, oh just remembered another the service department told me when the climate/driving mod screen goes blank you can still select the different mods, i said the screen is blank. ( Reply stop turn your car off lock it what 3 minutes turn it back on and be quick to select the snow mod before the screen goes off, you cannot write it)

#9 ·
Glyn said:
Happened when driving speedo screen blank and then an Air bank warning and then came back on ??. Recovery came disconnected the battery ??. because he said it is like your home computer when you unplug it, it will reset its self, I am still laughing, any way, cut a long story short I am dropping it off at the dealership in the morning and god knows what they will do with it, only done 132 miles not a good start, love the car but it is testing me, oh just remembered another the service department told me when the climate/driving mod screen goes blank you can still select the different mods, i said the screen is blank. ( Reply stop turn your car off lock it what 3 minutes turn it back on and be quick to select the snow mod before the screen goes off, you cannot write it)
The bit about disconnecting the battery, usually leaving it kff for a while or touching the +ve and -ve leads together is actually not uncommon.

Its like doing a hard reset of your iPhone.

Doing it is also not just a JLR thing.

#10 ·
CRC@LandRover said:
Glyn said:
Hi All
Not sure if this is a common fault, got a two week old Velar se 240, The bottom screen keeps going blank, we have been told that Land Rover are dealing with it ??, Today the speedo screen has gone blank,(dangerous situation when you are driving) Just waiting for the recovery trunk, has anybody else had this issue.

Cheers

Glyn
Hi Glyn,

I am sorry to learn of your concerns, please provide with me your vehicle and contact details, once received I would be happy to look into this for you.

Thanks

Stacie
Sorry Stacie how can you help . Do you work for JLR the car is at the Huddersfield dealership. My office no 0161 624 2812. Closed till Monday . White 240 se dont wont to put to many details on line thanks glyn

#11 ·
^^^ she works for JLR Customer Services. The good news for you is that she is trying to help. Stacie probably already has 90 other cases on her books but be patient and it might result in her expediting your car being repaired.

Arianne

#12 ·
Thank you for the reply. I am totally *issed off with JLR and there franchise company's car as been in now for two days and not a phone call from them my wife phoned at 1 pm today they said they were doing a test which would take 2 hrs.no phone call back

#13 ·
Glyn said:
CRC@LandRover said:
Glyn said:
Hi All

Cheers

Glyn
Hi Glyn,

I am sorry to learn of your concerns, please provide with me your vehicle and contact details, once received I would be happy to look into this for you.

Thanks

Stacie
Sorry Stacie how can you help . Do you work for JLR the car is at the Huddersfield dealership. My office no 0161 624 2812. Closed till Monday . White 240 se dont wont to put to many details on line thanks glyn
Hi Glyn,

Thank you for your reply.

I can confirm that I work within the Jaguar Land Rover Customer Relationship Team.

If you could please PM me your vehicle details I would be more than happy to investigate your concerns further.

Thanks, Stacie

#15 ·
it's a matter of time before there's a bad traffic accident.
We are effectively driving a miss fuctioning iphone with wheels on it at 70 mph or more.
Screens blanking out/freezing, music locking, touch control freezing up and speedometer going black along with calls dropping out to add to the madness of this dangerous vehicle.
All the above are as distracting as a driver texting whilst mobile.
This is a big health and safety executive issue.
If it were a company fleet of vehicles they would all be on recall.
Matt.

#16 ·
Hi all

Update. Bottom screen again started dropping out. New fault. gear knob drops while reversing. You are correct Matt it is only a matter of time before someone has a bad accident. Our has had the new upgrade as well . I will be contacting the dealership in the morning asking for my money back or a RR Sport upgrade they don't seam to have as many issues with that model. Should have stayed with BMW x 5 little bit dated but they work. Glyn😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

#17 ·
Glyn said:
Hi all

Update. Bottom screen again started dropping out. New fault. gear knob drops while reversing. You are correct Matt it is only a matter of time before someone has a bad accident. Our has had the new upgrade as well . I will be contacting the dealership in the morning asking for my money back or a RR Sport upgrade they don't seam to have as many issues with that model. Should have stayed with BMW x 5 little bit dated but they work. Glyn😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
If you're having tech issues, the 2018 RRS won't solve the problem. They are having the same gremlins. I'm sorry to hear yours has been so problematic. Mine has a few little Bluetooth issues, but by and large not bad at all

#18 ·
Yep.. mm767cap is correct. PM VelarMan for his take on '18 RRS and what sounds like almost every single unit affected by software issues, more so than Velar. FWIW, my issues were resolved over a month ago by a software update. Others haven't been as lucky with the update, which leads me to believe its hardware dependent software issues due to multiple component suppliers of same unit. With that said, I would use your right to reject since you're in the UK and demand a new model that is working out of the gate unless you just switch manufacturers.

#19 ·
It's strange that the majority of people getting awful/unresponsive service and inconsistent information seem to in Europe; particularly in the UK home market. So many posts on here about awful dealers over there. What's up with that!? I've had no experience with JLR USA, but my dealer has been great. The two times I've had my car in, I've received daily updates and prompt service. My update was applied yesterday and they said everything seems to be fixed, so we'll see.

#20 ·
My drivers display went out beginning of the year. I had to drive over 1000 miles without the screen. Luckily I have hud and could see speed but couldn't tell fuel level till Mac screen told me I was low on fuel and nearest gas station. I had to get the while screen replaced as the hardware failed. I've been out of country but have been told it's fixed. Will find out when I get back home. Also had to have battery replaced as the failed screen was constantly pulling power when velar was off.

#22 ·
Drove home today my Velar 2020 , started showing random war img signs then all of a sudden all the power in the car went off … no speedometer, no side Landrover display nothing … but still drove … didn’t even have indicators … no idea what’s going on completely random had not one problem in 6 months since purchase?! I’m wondering if it’s a software issues or needs an upgrade … I turned it off at a red light to restart and it wouldn’t start for about 2 minutes completely panicked as it was thick traffic lickily it start again but all power was still off inside … anyone had this?

#23 ·
Would be worth looking at Basics; oil, water and battery condition.
Do you recall these 'random war img signs'? What did they warn about?
If you have LR breakdown cover get the chap to come round and read OBD trouble codes. Or take it to a Dealer or Indy.

I'd be tempted to do something like that rather than wait for someone here to come along.
These cars (and all posh makes) are so sophisticated/complicated/complex that a similar symptom may have a totally different cause.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.