Heated Windshield, bad visibility?

New to the Range Rover Velar Forums? Introduce yourself here
laconroy

Heated Windshield, bad visibility?

Post by laconroy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:29 pm

I've had my Velar just over two weeks. When I test drove it during the day I didn't really notice the heated windshield grid, however driving at night is a different story. Headlights through the grid are blurry and everything looks like Christmas lights. Has anyone else experienced this? This is my first RR and I've never had or needed a heated windshield. Not sure I can live with it for the next 3 years.

helipilot

Re: Heated Windshield, bad visibility?

Post by helipilot » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:41 pm

You'd be surprised. When you first notice it it stands out but you do get used to it and don't notice after a while. Not got my Velar yet but speaking of experience on a Ford I once had.
D300 R-Dynamic HSE, Fuji White, 21in black wheels, black roof, fixed sunroof, black pack

tdphatak

Post by tdphatak » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:09 am

Did OP get used to it? I just got a Velar and I'm having the same challenge. LOL
-----------------
Fuji White/Ebony
MY18 Velar D180 S

RichWilkie

Post by RichWilkie » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:04 am

laconroy wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:29 pm
I've had my Velar just over two weeks. When I test drove it during the day I didn't really notice the heated windshield grid, however driving at night is a different story. Headlights through the grid are blurry and everything looks like Christmas lights. Has anyone else experienced this? This is my first RR and I've never had or needed a heated windshield. Not sure I can live with it for the next 3 years.
The heated windscreen should not affect your night vision and blur things, however, because this is the case, I would suggest you see an optician/optometrist as you may be developing a night vision issue which has been exacerbated by the windscreen

Daws4137

Post by Daws4137 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:45 pm

Ive had heated windscreens on several Fords and now the Velar. I’ve got to say it does not affect my vision at night at all.
D180 R-Dynamic SE Corris Grey , panoramic roof, privacy glass....

Jls

Post by Jls » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:13 pm

Extremely disracting the wires in the windshield. Can the windshield be replaced with a clear glass without these wires?

Kingoyinbo

Post by Kingoyinbo » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:02 pm

Random question, Is the heated windshield an optional extra or does it come stock? I have a R- dynamic SE on order.

Pcheaven

Post by Pcheaven » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:39 pm

Heated windscreen is standard in the UK
R Dynamic HSE D300. HeadsUp, black pack, 22&20” black wheels, Off road pack, Tracker, air ionisation, tow bar, roof rails, pano roof, privacy glass, illuminated door plates, extended leather, config lighting, remote seat release,heated steering wheel

Tailin

Post by Tailin » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:59 am

My Evoque had this option and I eventually opted to have the glass replaced at a local shop. If the light glare at night is too distracting that’s really the only option. I was much happier with the visibility though defogging/defrosting took significantly longer and seemed less effective.

MADEYOULUK

Post by MADEYOULUK » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:20 am

IMO it really bothered me at first. But now with just 1500km on the car I barely notice it. However, when it is on (and not melting anything) you feel like you are looking at a scene from a movie where you are in a desert and looking this heatwave across your windshield.. makes me want to throw up sometimes (windshield heater just goes on sometimes I swear I didn't do anything to turn it on).

Anyway, as I said, IMO I am used to it now and can say it actually isn't that bad.

Return to “Introductions”