Yet another MPG post

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
BootneckShuffle

Re: Yet another MPG post

Post by BootneckShuffle » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:37 am

Thanks Arianne and thanks Wobblehead

Do you think choice of fuel may be the issue?

Not been filling up with sub standard stuff, been filling with Premium Diesel from Costco pump, far as I am aware this fuel is fine.

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:48 am

BootneckShuffle wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:37 am
Thanks Arianne and thanks Wobblehead

Do you think choice of fuel may be the issue?

Not been filling up with sub standard stuff, been filling with Premium Diesel from Costco pump, far as I am aware this fuel is fine.
I am not familiar with the D180 Ingenium engine. Logically, I would expect you to get better fuel economy but you do have a two ton SUV and the smaller output Ingenium diesels have to work harder. So I wonder whether this takes the shine off of them, especially the 180bhp unit? But nevertheless, I would expect you to outshine the 3 litre diesel on economy.

I don’t really think premium diesel makes much difference. I only use it for the enhanced cleaning additives to try and keep my valve cylinders and piston heads clean by cutting down on carbon deposits.

5,000 miles isn’t much and it’s winter too. My fuel economy dips in winter, always.

As I said before, I don’t use Eco mode very much. On those occasions when I have deployed it, I haven’t really noticed much difference.

The best thing is to either (a) monitor it across your Land Rover Remote app, like that shown earlier. You’ll be able to compare similar journeys with ease and eventually spot a trend. How far back does the online log of your journeys go? You might be able to compare journeys since you took the car from new. Maybe ask the dealer for a demonstrator D180 and replicate a couple of journeys to see what that car delivers. Your dealer might offer it to you just to stop a persistent client! Option (b), just forget about it and enjoy your wonderful new car as it’ll only be new once. Someone else said on this thread that fuel cost is a small element of the much greater ownership cost of any Velar and it’s true. When we bought our Velar, I knew that Mrs A’s frequent, short trips were going to drive up my monthly fuel cost. So I got a Shell loyalty card and decided that the pump price would be whatever it would be.

Whatever, hope this helps.

Arianne
D300 R-dynamic with lots of optional toys. Corris Grey, sunroof, activity bracelet, configurable lighting, 825w Meridian sound, heated everything, configurable dynamics, full leather pack, summer / winter tyres & the important cup holder cover!

wobblehead

Post by wobblehead » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:52 am

I agree with Arianne with the comment around fuel cost being a small percentage.

I've a newish A4 diesel as a company car that costs me nothing in maintenance, and does double the Velar with regards to MPG.

The Audi very rarely is used at evening and weekends, yes our private fuel bill for weekends would be halved, however, if the Velar is costing me £150 per week in depreciation, I'd rather be in it than looking at it.

I didn't buy a P380 expecting 30mpg+, however, a D180 is different, as such, like Arianne I would expect you should be getting a few miles more
P380 Carpathian Grey, Full panoramic roof, heated steering wheel, privacy glass, HUD, Solar Windscreen, all other HSE Gubbings

TeddyM

Post by TeddyM » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:26 am

now 16 to 17 mpg with my SVA

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:36 pm

TeddyM wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:26 am
You’re just showing off, the SVA bit :D If you have an SVA, you don’t worry about fuel cost, fuel economy or........ probably anything. Enjoy.

I will just recall the AutoCar Long Term test of their Velar. Assuming six months is long-term! At month five, they swapped out their D300 for the SVA. 5 litre, isn’t it? V8? But they liked their D300 better 8-)

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/la ... erm-review

Whatever, see you soon - even if you get there first!

Arianne
D300 R-dynamic with lots of optional toys. Corris Grey, sunroof, activity bracelet, configurable lighting, 825w Meridian sound, heated everything, configurable dynamics, full leather pack, summer / winter tyres & the important cup holder cover!

TeddyM

Post by TeddyM » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:47 pm

Arianne wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:36 pm
TeddyM wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:26 am
You’re just showing off, the SVA bit :D If you have an SVA, you don’t worry about fuel cost, fuel economy or........ probably anything. Enjoy.

I will just recall the AutoCar Long Term test of their Velar. Assuming six months is long-term! At month five, they swapped out their D300 for the SVA. 5 litre, isn’t it? V8? But they liked their D300 better 8-)

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/la ... erm-review

Whatever, see you soon - even if you get there first!

Arianne
yes i do not care about my mpg since i do not drive much per year and have a small car for the city - it is just a quote for a comparision of engine concepts like downsizing and Petrol vs. Diesel.

Halifaxian

Post by Halifaxian » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:30 pm

My 180 has done 8000 miles average about 44mpg. No problem in getting 50-52.....My trip to work is A roads and town about 50-50 And that trip is normally 42mpg in winter and 45 ish in summer it's a 23 mile trip.
Dynamic SE 180
Silicon Silver
Black Roof
Privacy Glass
Heated Steering Wheel
Acorn
Extended Leather
Drivers pack ACC
Full panaramic roof
No car

Jim55

Post by Jim55 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:07 pm

Bootneck, I had a 180D F-Pace and I nearly always got High 40s mpg on long runs and on very good days over 50 mpg.

In my Velar on long runs I expect to get over 40 mpg and pottering around town over 30 mpg.
December 2018: MY19.5, Kaikoura Stone, D300 R-Dynamic HSE, R-Dynamic Black Pack, 20" 10 spoke Satin Dark Grey wheels, fixed pano roof, Driver Assist pack, On/Off Road pack, Light Oyster seats and headlining.

Haybrd

Post by Haybrd » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:27 pm

Interesting to read what everyone is getting!

Velar MY20 R-dynamic SE D240
7k miles
Comfort Driving Mode
340-50miles to a tank

I’m getting usually 40-42mpg. Has been up to 50mpg a couple of times.

I never use eco mode and rarely use dynamic (mostly to pull out of bad junctions). I do put it in sport mode a fair bit for when I’m pulling out onto motorways, overtaking or coming up to a roundabout that might need me to not lag. Most of my driving is either a 20-30min A-Road/country road mix or A-Road/motorway 2-3hr drives.

Today was the first time I put premium diesel in (after reading all the posts here). It might be the placebo effect but I’d say KITT (cars name) seems more responsive.
MY20 D240 R-Dynamic SE, Santorini Black, 14 way heated, memory seats, Heated/power recline rear, 20” 7 spike gloss black wheels, Electrically deployable towbar, Fixed panoramic roof, Rear seat release , Power pack 2

Dixyburger

Post by Dixyburger » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:08 pm

Kevshep wrote:P250 in dynamic mode urban drives 310 per tank avg around 28
Same spec and mode. Do a lot of short few miler trips here in London, averaging around 17mpg and 26mpg with sensible motorway driving.

Not impressed and the missus is furious at how often she has to fill up compared to our Audi A6 2.0 diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk