Courtesy Car during service

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
Bris28

Courtesy Car during service

Post by Bris28 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:28 am

I tried booking in for my first service yesterday to be told that there is a £30 charge for the use of a courtesy car. This is apparently to cover insurance!?

I have never been charged for a courtesy car by any garage whether main dealer or not.

Has anybody else had this?

I appreciate this isn’t a lot of money but it is the principle that bothers me.

Thanks.

Spencerwilks

Re: Courtesy Car during service

Post by Spencerwilks » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:51 am

I have never been charged for a courtesy car since 2004 and I have had plenty! Stratstone Nottingham formally H A Fox.
2019 2.0 D 240 HSE Aruba/ Windsor Light Oyster heated and cooled 20 way seats, Air Suspension, Deployable Steps ,Matrix LED lights , Extended leather upgrade, Meriden 825W Sound, Heated steering wheel, Tracker. USA licence plate plinths.

Haybrd

Post by Haybrd » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:24 pm

I’ve not had the experience with LR yet but with Audi I had the option of no charge and £1k insurance excess or £25 and no excess.
MY20 D240 R-Dynamic SE, Santorini Black, 14 way heated, memory seats, Heated/power recline rear, 20” 7 spike gloss black wheels, Electrically deployable towbar, Fixed panoramic roof, Rear seat release , Power pack 2

Barachus

Post by Barachus » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:33 pm

Very strange
My car was in last weekend and I got a curtesy car for 2 days
There was no mention of this charge
Guy Salmon in sundbury

JimH

Post by JimH » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:56 pm

My own insurance specifically covers courtesy cars in any case......
MY2019.5 D240 SE R Dynamic - Firenze Red, Body Colour roof with fixed panoramic glass and black rails, 21" Style 5047G dark grey with diamond cut finish wheels, Heated windscreen and steering wheel, Adaptive Dynamics, Front fog lights, Privacy glass

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:28 pm

Since late 2020, my dealer had offered me the option of a £15 deal to waive the insurance excess on the courtesy car. I always take it. I can get waiver insurance from the internet for less than that but two things come into play. The first is that the law of diminishing returns applies here - shopping around for the marginal difference on an event that is infrequent doesn’t make sense. The second is that I cannot be certain of the duration of the courtesy car for any third party waiver insurance - sometimes the dealer gives me a buzz to say that they want to hang onto my car for an extra day or so. It depends on what they diagnose, the speed with which parts are delivered and how busy their workshop might be. I can buy an annual waiver policy online to overcome this but it’s small beer.

There’s no charge for the courtesy car though and the waiver insurance is optional. If I book in good time, there is always a courtesy car available.

Arianne
D300 R-dynamic with lots of optional toys. Corris Grey, sunroof, activity bracelet, configurable lighting, 825w Meridian sound, heated everything, configurable dynamics, full leather pack, summer / winter tyres & the important cup holder cover!

JamesP

Post by JamesP » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:46 pm

Like lunches no courtesy car is 'free'. One pays for it one way or other and it makes sense to look at the total package cost for any service/repair. Having said that it is galling when one is charged for something that previously was provided as a courtesy.

bobmedley

Post by bobmedley » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:54 pm

My Velar goes in for a service in a couple of weeks, and the courtesy car is free with the option of taking an excess waiver for £8 - seems reasonable to me.
P380 R-Dynamic HSE Corris Grey

SpokenHands

Post by SpokenHands » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:16 pm

£15 for insurance excess waiver should you get into an accident in the courtesy car.
My grouse is when they try to get you into a Vauxhall Corsa - cant be clever marketing for an average JLR customer.
(Dont come after me about the Corsa, I am sure it is a perfectly capable car. For a spotty 17-year-old! There, I said it)
2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo S
2018 Mercedes AMG GT-C Roadster
2018 Range Rover Velar First Edition D300 HSE

markah

Post by markah » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:11 pm

Just been on an an essential trip to have my 3 year service today. I just take the option whereby I pay the first £1000 in the event of a claim. There is a option £10 plus VAT for the excess damage waiver which seems more reasonable.
The worst car they ever gave me was a Jaguar XF. I had a new Evoque today which was acceptable. I used Dynamic mode on my own car for the journey home but had to turn it off part way due to getting carried away with just how good the D300 actually is. :lol:
'18 D300 RDS, Corris, Black pack, Glossy 21" black rims, Black & pan roof.