New Software

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
Crabacle

Re: New Software

Post by Crabacle » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:41 pm

Don’t want to raise my or anybody else’s hopes - had a call from my dealer today - an update is being applied on Thursday next week.
Not sure what it is or what the status is. Will report back after it’s been done.
Evoque..... Disco Sport....... Velar........ Glutton for punishment.....

Ludo

Post by Ludo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:53 pm

peterd wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:08 pm
yes Ludo, keep us posted. We have apparently the same dealer , I am waiting for your feedback to move ...
Hi Peter . sorry had not read this post. I purchased from Neubauer in Paris 15. did you as well ? If so we could definitely share experience for the coming updates . I did the 17C upgrade last week and only got the car back yesterday. need some more time to play with the car to write a proper report to all of you. as written earlier, the service man told me he himself could still experience some usb failures. personnally all was Ok so far but i only drove it for 30 mn, so not enough to report . look forward to play with deezezr and TuneIn

@Peter you can PM in french is you prefer ...
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
MY18 Velar D180 R-Dyn S, Corris, Black sliding pano roof, 20'' black rims, Black leather, Teinted glass. delivered oct. 2
2014 Freelander 2 D160 HSE

Walrus

Post by Walrus » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:34 pm

I was due to have software update installed tomorrow, but just had a call from the dealer to inform me that the update has been withdrawn and i will be contacted when the next version is available...
P300 R-Dynamic HSE Byron Blue

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:19 am

Sounds like a JLR manager should go and play with LEGO instead of managing the IT department, obviously not the right person for the job. This is damaging the work of all the people who created this stunning car and the reputation of the brand.
How about a paradigm shift and do the testing at JLR instead of letting the customers do it? Just an idea. Hey Velar owners, be proud! You’re part of JLR”s software test team. 😂

Get some students, they’ll do a better job then the testing team in place. If there is any test team that is.

peterd

Post by peterd » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:11 am

Well it is a little harsh ....

Being in the software business, I can tell this software is very complex to test. So you may find some issue after a good upgrade.
I imagine a lot of pressure on the software team due the faulty initial release , with this kind of pressure every body is ready
to pullback a new release even if the problem is not really major.

If there is a critic to do: I think the idea of having to pass throw a dealer to update is obsolete, it is a long process and nobody can
insure that all cars have the same release at the same time. The process being long, it is better to stack a lot of updates for a release, thus creating
a big risk of regression (more updates = mode difficult to test = more risk)
It is much better to make small increments that are easier to test and deliver these small increments regularly.
But to do that you need to do like tesla, having a car that can update itself during the night ... JLR and other car makers are light years
being that.

Be patient, they will eventually release an acceptable update :)

Ludo

Post by Ludo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:51 am

peterd wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:11 am
Well it is a little harsh ....

Being in the software business, I can tell this software is very complex to test. So you may find some issue after a good upgrade.
I imagine a lot of pressure on the software team due the faulty initial release , with this kind of pressure every body is ready
to pullback a new release even if the problem is not really major.

If there is a critic to do: I think the idea of having to pass throw a dealer to update is obsolete, it is a long process and nobody can
insure that all cars have the same release at the same time. The process being long, it is better to stack a lot of updates for a release, thus creating
a big risk of regression (more updates = mode difficult to test = more risk)
It is much better to make small increments that are easier to test and deliver these small increments regularly.
But to do that you need to do like tesla, having a car that can update itself during the night ... JLR and other car makers are light years
being that.

Be patient, they will eventually release an acceptable update :)

excellent point PeterD. I wish I could do updates by myself. I remember having upgraded the internal Navteq GPS of my Peugeot 307SW 15 years ago by flashing the bios with a Cdrom inserted into the CDplayer. it was simple and reliable at that time... By doing this I had agreed to loose the warranty on my peugeot infotainment system. Of course I would not take such a risk with the Velar...

But since our cars are connected with 4G, in therory it should be feasible to have 'self cared' upgrades, but I doubt JLR would make that happen.

Anyway yes I feel like a beta tester but to be honest it's kinda funny sometimes.

for what regards to the 17C upgrade which I did last week, I can only report positive feedback so far :
- USB recognition is 100% spot on for me. will do so more in-depth testing over the weekend. but so for it works . immediate recognition.
- USB bypath over blue tooth : spot on as well. if my phone is in bluetooth with music and I plug the USB, it does what it should, ie the bluetooth link is killed in favour of the USB link, instantly. so spot on
- spotify over IC Apps : works perfectly, since USB is now stable. no loss so far
- online media 'TuneIn' : it does work well. I do not have an account of my own with playlists or podcasts, so could not synchronise really. however I was able to do radio search and it did provide many radio feeds, which I could buffer and play. Since I was at level -2 underground in my parking lot I could even test the car wifi, connecting the Velar to my Iphone shared network (as the internal datasim would get no 3G nor 4G data network)
- Online media Deezer: unsuccessfull for me. But I read from above in this post that one should first login with Incontrol account, which I failed to do properly. It's kind of bizarre since the ICTP directs you to the appropriate web page, but I could not add deezer on the menu... any help here would be appreciated. however since I only have a free account on deezer (already paying for a spotify an account...) I have no particular need other than testing the system ...

so that's it. I read some of you encountered issues when pressing the next button, I'll check this later.

Conclusion : better to wait for the next upgrade since JLR is postponing in UK but if your dealer accepts do do the upgrade and if you are eager to test the 17C, why not giving it a try. cheers
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
MY18 Velar D180 R-Dyn S, Corris, Black sliding pano roof, 20'' black rims, Black leather, Teinted glass. delivered oct. 2

Ludo

Post by Ludo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:31 am

had not seen this post to CRC about 17C update. well done Milky400

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=811

Crabacle

Post by Crabacle » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:22 am

So the car has gone off to the dealers for the alleged software upgrade - I will report back later after its been returned and I've tested it out.

Whilst its there:
Its having a door handle cover replaced (fell off the passenger side after a whole 3 hours of ownership):
The are looking at the parking brake 'calibration issue' which meant that I had to call out Landrover recovery on Monday.

Please ...... would I have an LR with no Warranty? Not at all.

Crabacle

Post by Crabacle » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:51 pm

Apparently the software upgrade has been applied - report is that it's all fine - of course will have to check it out when I get my mitts back on it. Will update when I have tested.

Loz

Post by Loz » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:39 pm

I have been told today that my car has had the phase 3 update applied sucessfully. Also been told that car is not accepting the Live Services update and LR have been contacted for advice. Some are saying that LR has pulled the latest update, however, I do wonder if different hardware revisions result in different software update versions and therefore build date/ VIN Nr specific updates. I was told that JLR has approved the update for my car. Will test when I get my car back but so far no ETA on the Live Service update failing issue and told them I will not have it back until it is all working 100% so maybe a long wait....

Return to “Main Range Rover Velar chat”