Any updates on Carplay/AA?

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
LSU5508

Any updates on Carplay/AA?

Post by LSU5508 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:37 pm

Was reading a reddit thread and some member says he attended the JLR annual conference where JLR announced to the attendees that Carplay/AA was coming and would be retroactive to all cars with Incontrol Touch pro . Said it should be out by end of summer and was only awaiting Apple/Google to sign off. Have not seen this anywhere else though. F-pace forum guys have been cryptically hinting it was coming as well.

P380NarvikEclipse

Re: Any updates on Carplay/AA?

Post by P380NarvikEclipse » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:13 pm

Only anecdotal accounts that confirm what you said, but this has been rumored since I placed my order June 2017. If they announced in a public setting at their conference, that’s the best evidence yet.. if only we could track down a recording of it :twisted:
n11 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:24 pm
I talked to the dealer today and their service manager told me that support for Apple Car Play and Android Auto is going to be rolled out in two weeks and called it version "4.0". No idea if this is true or not, but that's what he told me.
n11 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:20 pm
I was in the dealership yesterday and they once again guaranteed me that Apple Car play and Android Auto are coming sooner rather than later, but couldn't nail down date. They did, however, confirm that it would be a free upgrade and that a service appt would need to be scheduled to get the new software on.
‘18 RR Velar R-Dynamic SE P380, Narvik Black wrapped in Xpel Stealth PPF, Eclipse interior and a number of extras

KRG

Post by KRG » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:23 pm

I’m convinced it’s defintely coming at some point. When, is anybody’s guess. Could be next month, could be next year.
18 Velar R-Dynamic SE P250, Narvik Black/Eclipse

Loz

Post by Loz » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:06 pm

Probably arrived after Apple phase out Apple CarPlay...hope not though

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:31 pm

And I heard Santa is also coming end of summer.

LSU5508

Post by LSU5508 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:10 pm

Any update on this? I see Mazda has confirmed today forward and backward compatibility for its vehicles. The article indicated it was one of the last major car manufactures not to have the technology. When will JLR announce?

Gurgeh

Post by Gurgeh » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:32 pm

I'm finalizing a factory order (from the United States) and have what I think is both good news and bad news. Just yesterday the dealer got in an updated 2019 Velar Order Guide, now with actual prices, and it includes a number of changes from the earlier cost-averse version of the Order Guide. (Again, I tried to attach the important bit either as PDF or as a picture, and both were rejected -- I'm guessing as a new forum member I just don't have attachment privileges.)

Most important for Apple CarPlay/Android Auto lovers, it is now listed on the Order Guide as a real thing. So my guess is that it is essentially ready to go and will be available with the next software update. It is called:

Smartphone Pack:
- Apple CarPlay(R)
- Android Auto (TM)
Its U.S. order code is 186AB

Yes, you heard me right. It has an order code. It is not available in the base Velar, and is a $280 priced option for S, R-Dynamic SE and R-Dynamic HSE. I was mystified and said it was my understanding that it would be a no-cost upgrade included in an upcoming infotainment software update and would be backward compatible to all 2019s (if not 2018s as well). I specifically asked if I could not include it in the build for my factory order and just "purchase it" after the fact when it was operational or if I needed to specifically include it in my build. I was told that if I wanted it I needed to specifically include it in my build and that it costs because it involves a hardware upgrade in addition to a software update. What I don't know is whether all 2019s are being produced already with the upgraded hardware (and folded into the vehicle's cost). If JLR is smart they would be doing this. But it does seem that 2018s will be out of luck on Carplay/Android Auto once it comes out which, again, should be very very soon. Again, "seem" is the best I can do right now.
On order: MY19.5 R-Dynamic P380 HSE, Kaikoura Stone, Black Contrast Roof, Light Oyster/Dapple Grey Premium Textile Seating, lotsa other stuff. Est. build date 7 Dec 2018, delivery date 18 Jan 2019.

SiriX

Post by SiriX » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:24 pm

Hi,

So the thing that concerns me, is that from what I gather, when you opt for the smartphone pack, I think it has a different USB socket in the cubby box for that connection, as I don’t know if my car has the smartphone pack officially, but has assumed it doesn’t because it only has 2 USB ports, and neither do anything when I have the app installed on my phone, and plug it in.

So to me, if it is retrofitted, it would probably be only for those with the smartphone pack to begin with.

The only thing I actually miss, which isn’t as far as I know even android auto related, is on my Mercedes prior, if I pushed and held the voice control button, it would act as a trigger for the google assistant on my phone, via Bluetooth, and I could ask it to do things and it would respond via the cars speakers... that’s something i find even handier than using the equivalent feature through android auto.

Cheers,

SiriX

Gurgeh

Post by Gurgeh » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:35 pm

SiriX wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:24 pm
Hi,

So the thing that concerns me, is that from what I gather, when you opt for the smartphone pack, I think it has a different USB socket in the cubby box for that connection, as I don’t know if my car has the smartphone pack officially, but has assumed it doesn’t because it only has 2 USB ports, and neither do anything when I have the app installed on my phone, and plug it in.

So to me, if it is retrofitted, it would probably be only for those with the smartphone pack to begin with.

The only thing I actually miss, which isn’t as far as I know even android auto related, is on my Mercedes prior, if I pushed and held the voice control button, it would act as a trigger for the google assistant on my phone, via Bluetooth, and I could ask it to do things and it would respond via the cars speakers... that’s something i find even handier than using the equivalent feature through android auto.

Cheers,

SiriX
SiriX, that's also how it works on the Audi Q5 I was looking at, so it might well be an Android Auto feature.
On order: MY19.5 R-Dynamic P380 HSE, Kaikoura Stone, Black Contrast Roof, Light Oyster/Dapple Grey Premium Textile Seating, lotsa other stuff. Est. build date 7 Dec 2018, delivery date 18 Jan 2019.

P380NarvikEclipse

Post by P380NarvikEclipse » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:35 pm

As much as I love my Velar, JLR are a bunch of greedy morons. Just gonna have to say it.

We’ve had multiple reports of a free, retroactive upgrade for My18 coming from both JLR reps at car shows and dealers alike since early 2017. Way to string your early adopters on, only to leave them in the dust JLR. Well played.

Guess someone’s going to have to try this now: http://www.naviplus.com.au/online-store ... p102229015

Let us know if you do!
‘18 RR Velar R-Dynamic SE P380, Narvik Black wrapped in Xpel Stealth PPF, Eclipse interior and a number of extras

Return to “Main Range Rover Velar chat”