Re: Any updates on Carplay/AA?

Post by AndreaZangani » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:17 pm

Tekson wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:43 pm
KRG wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:23 pm
P380NarvikEclipse wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:33 pm
@DanCanada - that seems ridiculous. The car is under warranty and I don't think anyone globally has had a flawless ICTP experience. They will absolutely be hearing from plenty of well-to-do folks' lawyers if they try and do something like this :lol:

An update on my end, after telling my dealer to slob on my knob when they asked for $630 to hit the activate button for CarPlay since the software is already installed, the GM called me and said they would do it for free since I have software issues already (I guess the tech I spoke with was unaware or they changed policies since I told them I was switching dealers). Either way, other dealers are charging about half that cost for CarPlay on order brand new, so I'm still switching stealers despite their offer :lol: heading in next Wednesday for the activation.
Good! lol. Mine has been faultless; really enjoying it.
Is it that much better than using the regular stock Navi? I’ve never actually used CarPlay.

I’m in NY and asked my local dealer about it and he said it was not yet available. Anyone in NY had success getting it installed? I have video evidence of my software glitching and causing problems so I can probably leverage that to get them to update.
In my humble opinion I find carplay very useful when I found myself in traffic, using Waze it gives me a live option for the best route. Moreover it reads for me iMessages and WhatsApp text which I find nice as well. Apart from those things...not a big deal for me (probably because the velar has it’s own system, otherwise, in a car without sat nav etc...I reckon it would be nearly fundamental).

KRG

Post by KRG » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:35 pm

Tekson wrote:
Is it that much better than using the regular stock Navi? I’ve never actually used CarPlay.

I’m in NY and asked my local dealer about it and he said it was not yet available. Anyone in NY had success getting it installed? I have video evidence of my software glitching and causing problems so I can probably leverage that to get them to update.
The stock nav in the Velar is pretty great..I never had any complaints with it and the 3D view is pretty cool. I do love having Google Maps in the car though. It just feels like a more familiar experience to me, and keeps all favorites and searches unified with all my devices. The Apple Music app within Carplay is great, and i find it's easier and faster to switch between tasks in Carplay vs the native ICTP menus. One interesting note is Apple Maps seems unpolished to me in Carplay. I've noticed if I leave the map open without a route set, it's jumpy and not smooth. Google maps is very fluid. I have no idea why this would be. Google Maps looks a bit more modern/professional to me as well. It lacks 'hey Siri,' but has a very intuitive button for voice commands that work great. This is the opposite of nearly all professional reviews, so I'm a bit confused but will continue to play with both. Both apps appear to lack multitouch/pinch to zoom, which I find weird, but not a big deal.

Essentially the stock Nav and menus are pretty good with the latest update...I just love Apple simplicity and elegance so I appreciate Carplay. It also looks great on the 10" widescreen display...much better than on small screens in other applications.
18 Velar R-Dynamic SE P250, Narvik Black/Eclipse

TheChallinor

Post by TheChallinor » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:41 pm

Does the standard nav not have live traffic and rerouting via the cellular connection?

I’m a big fan of Apple CarPlay but the Velar nav looked decent and also has speed cameras, commute mode, etc.
D180 R Dynamic SE in Fuji White with:
Oyster perforated leather interior
Ambient lighting
Driver assist pack
Heated steering wheel
Black roof
Privacy glass
No roof bars
No rear spec badges

MikeJL

Post by MikeJL » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:47 pm

TheChallinor wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:41 pm
Does the standard nav not have live traffic and rerouting via the cellular connection?

I’m a big fan of Apple CarPlay but the Velar nav looked decent and also has speed cameras, commute mode, etc.
Indeed it does.
D240 HSE 18MY. Firenza Red, Eclipse Interior, Panoramic Roof, Air Suspension
20 way electric seats with 14 way memory :-(

TheChallinor

Post by TheChallinor » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:53 pm

MikeJL wrote:
TheChallinor wrote:

Indeed it does.
That’s pretty decent features for a built in nav, I use Apple Music so wanted CarPlay for that. Originally ruled out JLR for poor Nav and media systems, touch duo is a huge step up from previous models.
D180 R Dynamic SE in Fuji White with:
Oyster perforated leather interior
Ambient lighting
Driver assist pack
Heated steering wheel
Black roof
Privacy glass
No roof bars
No rear spec badges

Tekson

Post by Tekson » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:27 am

TheChallinor wrote:

Yes it does, however in the U.S. the cellular connection is only included for the first 90 days. After that there’s a monthly charge. Why pay the monthly if you can use CarPlay?

P380NarvikEclipse

Post by P380NarvikEclipse » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:31 am

Tekson wrote:
KRG wrote:
P380NarvikEclipse wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:33 pm
@DanCanada - that seems ridiculous. The car is under warranty and I don't think anyone globally has had a flawless ICTP experience. They will absolutely be hearing from plenty of well-to-do folks' lawyers if they try and do something like this :lol:

An update on my end, after telling my dealer to slob on my knob when they asked for $630 to hit the activate button for CarPlay since the software is already installed, the GM called me and said they would do it for free since I have software issues already (I guess the tech I spoke with was unaware or they changed policies since I told them I was switching dealers). Either way, other dealers are charging about half that cost for CarPlay on order brand new, so I'm still switching stealers despite their offer :lol: heading in next Wednesday for the activation.

Who’s your local dealer? I’m in NYC

The built in maps aren’t bad. My only gripe come from a year of side by side comparison of arrival times with my phone, and how the built in nav is rarely accurate compared to waze or google maps from my experience. If I’m in no rush, I’ve relied on the built-in nav so it’s in my driver display, but that’s mostly on weekend. Looking forward to having waze/google maps in the top display at least and not just my vent mounted phone.
‘18 RR Velar R-Dynamic SE P380, Narvik Black wrapped in Xpel Stealth PPF, Eclipse interior and a number of extras

AndreaZangani

Post by AndreaZangani » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:13 am

TheChallinor wrote:

Yes it does indeed but at least in Italy I’m finding them extremely inaccurate to the point that they are leading you to the wrong path therefore i’ve deactivated them so far.

Tekson

Post by Tekson » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:26 am

P380NarvikEclipse wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:31 am
Tekson wrote:
KRG wrote:

Who’s your local dealer? I’m in NYC

The built in maps aren’t bad. My only gripe come from a year of side by side comparison of arrival times with my phone, and how the built in nav is rarely accurate compared to waze or google maps from my experience. If I’m in no rush, I’ve relied on the built-in nav so it’s in my driver display, but that’s mostly on weekend. Looking forward to having waze/google maps in the top display at least and not just my vent mounted phone.
I go to JLR Huntington. I assume you haven’t updated yet?

VeilR

Post by VeilR » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:31 am

I have a MY19 D180 R-Dynamic SE that was delivered a few weeks ago from Farnell Bolton Land Rover in the UK.

It has the 18C software but no Apple CarPlay.

I have just been told by the dealership that Apple CarPlay is a (cost) option on the MY19.5 but can also be installed retrospectively on previous models (at cost) using the "Phase 5" update.

This struck me as odd given that it is mentioned in the MY19 manual - http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/docu ... c/G2155593

Is this consistent with other people's experiences or have I been told a porkie?

Return to “Main Range Rover Velar chat”