Range Rover Velar Forum banner

Solar attenuating windscreen/drive quality.

25K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  geniusloci 
#1 ·
Hi!

Can someone give me more information on Solar attenuating windscreen? I am unable to get the information, is it really worth it? does it really dampen the sound as mentioned in the description.
I am not sure if I have it on my Current vehicle or not.

By the way, visited the dealer in my city last week, test drove d180, was really not happy with the drive quality. It wasn't smooth though took the car on highway, it was very loud inside, not sure if it was because of the diesel engine or bigger wheels (22). Wasn't really impressed and the salesman tend to agree with me and asked me to test drive a petrol version. I have never owned a diesel vehicle.

I have made up my mind about the configuration, just wondering about these small add on options.

Thanks is advance.

#2 ·
I had installed and it has been a godsend. If you live in a sunny clime i'd say it's essential. Keeps the interior cooler. When the sun is overhead you notice the hands and arms remain cooler also If you wear shorts. worth the cost.

#5 ·
I am about to finalise my order and wanted to ask you about the solar (heat resistant) windscreen if you think it makes sense to have it together with the sliding panoramic roof. I mean because the hi spec windscreen is going to prevent the interior from the heat increase and on the other hand the glass roof is expected to move interior temperature higher.. I live in South Europe where summer temp easily gets above 40 degrees celcium
Thanks a lot

#6 ·
I have found even in 35 degree heat that my car stays relatively cool and the leather is not hot to the touch. Both windscreen and sunroof options. The sunroof blind shades the car and the windscreen keeps the direct heating of the interior down. This is from my experience of a very hot long summer.

#8 ·
This is the one thing I would add to my car as a replacement to the standard screen.

My First Edition comes pretty loaded but have added a few things - a wireless charger that accepts all Qi phones: Apple or Samsung. And a luggage net in the nearside corner at the rear. Two small things under £200 that add a lot of convenience. The FE is otherwise fully loaded.

Except for this windscreen that I would gladly get next.

#11 ·
UKMS said:
Just picking this up again

Has anyone had issues in the Velar with phone GPS signals and the solar screen ?

My D5 has the solar screen and I had to boost the GPS signal with a small external antenna which I'd rather not have to repeat on the Velar.
I have the solar windshield. No problem with cell phone signals or GPS based phone navigation problems for me (I use CarPlay).

#12 ·
Velne3 said:
I am about to finalise my order and wanted to ask you about the solar (heat resistant) windscreen if you think it makes sense to have it together with the sliding panoramic roof. I mean because the hi spec windscreen is going to prevent the interior from the heat increase and on the other hand the glass roof is expected to move interior temperature higher.. I live in South Europe where summer temp easily gets above 40 degrees celcium
Thanks a lot
I wouldn't get the sliding roof, it's pointless if you will drive with AC 99% of time, so get the fixed one. Heat not an issue, the shade works fine controling that, and the gkass is so good at opening up the space when the weather allows you to pull the shade.

The windscreen... Well, I've never noticed it getting darker. The heating part worked great, but you can see the heater if you look closer, and you cannot unsee it.

G
#13 ·
Hello Everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help. I've had my used Velar for less than a month, it only has 3,000 miles on it but a few days ago the Windscreen which I think is the solar attenuating type (not sure how you check) has developed what I can only describe as a quiet rattle at the top of the screen on the drivers side.

This might be nothing to do with the screen and to do with the windscreen mount or something else but it definitely seems to have come in the last few days and there's been no other incident or factor occurring to explain it.

I'm really interested to know if anyone else has experienced anything similar and if there is a solution.

By the way in every other aspect the car is great and I'm really enjoying it.

Many thanks and this is a really good forum!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.