Disabling keyless entry (prevent theft)

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
Jim55

Re: Disabling keyless entry (prevent theft)

Post by Jim55 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:55 pm

MikeJL wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:44 am
Jim55 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:41 am
JLR have had a better solution for some time that they are fitting to some models but not across the range yet.

My December 18 MY19.5 Velar still uses the old less secure method.

434MHZ/NON UWB DR LK FREQUENCY
Is that on the ‘Minor Features’ tab? I don’t have that reference, or anything similar on my 18MY.
It’s all very strange.
That's interesting, just looked on Topix and it is not listed on their for mine either, whereas the Topix - All vehicle details - minor features sheet I printed and saved back in December that line is the fourth item!

Topix extract.JPG

December 2018: MY19.5, Kaikoura Stone, D300 R-Dynamic HSE, R-Dynamic Black Pack, 20" 10 spoke Satin Dark Grey wheels, fixed pano roof, Driver Assist pack, On/Off Road pack, Light Oyster seats and headlining.

Mp080891

Post by Mp080891 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:26 pm

Has anyone else had any issues trying to get this to work? Have tried just door open, ignition on with door open, engine on with door open and nothing is working?
Thanks

KIZZYP

Post by KIZZYP » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:28 pm

Cant seem to do it on mine either?? ....am happy enough as i can be with security measures at home , but car park scanning and theft still a concern.
D275 R DYNAMIC SE BYRON BLUE , ACORN LEATHER , SATIN BLONDE VENEER, 21" GLOSS BLACK WHEELS , OPEN PAN ROOF, LED LIGHTING , 360 CAMERA , ON/OFF ROAD PACK. PRIVACY GLASS. SPARE WHEEL.

97 DEFENDER 90
57 FIESTA 1.25 ZETEC
59 CORSA 1.0 ACTIVE

gmortimer

Post by gmortimer » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:58 pm

Somewhat late to the party, however I got this to work on my 2018 Velar. The trick is to open the door from outside and do the key presses within 3 seconds of opening the door. It then worked for me.

GSudhir

Post by GSudhir » Mon May 03, 2021 4:44 pm

Joe wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:09 am
moonlitknight wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:01 pm
Joe wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:20 pm
And most important, it’s fail save.
That's fine when your car is parked at home. The big issue for me is when the relay devices are inconspicuous enough, and powerful enough that the thieves will unlock your car while you're walking across a car park..

I've disabled keyless entry as per the OP and sleep much better as a consequence.
How big is the chance, that someone with this kinda equipment is stalking you on the go, close enough to get your signal without getting noticed? If you feel this is likely, I’m glad you found your solution.
My friends Velar got stolen from hoo work car park *which happens to be a hospital car park). He was working in another part of the building quite far from where the car was parked. Chances are that the thieves were waiting when he got off the car and must have driven away with the relay theft device all while he was in close enough proximity to the car. So it is better to take all possible precautions to prevent these crooks stealing your priced possession. I now keep my keys in a Farady pouch all the time and as soon as I lock my car, the keys go securely inside the Faraday pouch.
Will try turing keyless entry off with this technique.
D300 R Dynamic HSE in Corris Grey with 1033 21 inch alloys
Pano sun roof
Configurable ambient lighting
360 camera
Windsor perforated leather- heated, cooled massage seats

Mester-D

Post by Mester-D » Mon May 03, 2021 8:37 pm

I've disabled mine this weekend for some peace of mind...and I still keep my keys in a Faraday type container as well.
2018 D300 R-dynamic HSE, pan roof, Kaikoura sand, Acorn leather, 21" 5047 style Diamond cut wheels.

ABZBOB

Post by ABZBOB » Thu May 06, 2021 3:28 am

I use a Faraday box in the house for mine and the wife's keys, use a Faraday pouch when out and about.
Also set the guardian mode from the remote at night, which you can also use when parked up. This monitors any interactions with the car, car unlocked, doors opened and car started then let's you know instantly when any of these occur.
Every little thing helps.
MY21 D300 SE R-Dynamic, Igor grey.

JamesP

Post by JamesP » Thu May 06, 2021 7:27 pm

MY 2021 has the latest activity key and the salesman told me that using this and leaving the keys in the car it prevents key scamming, I am not certain whether this is the case - does anyone know?