Disabling keyless entry (prevent theft)

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
LewiJ

Re: Disabling keyless entry (prevent theft)

Post by LewiJ » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:31 pm

I bought a faraday pouch for £10 from Halfords. Seems to work great. Big enough to put car keys and anything else on the key ring, but small enough to take it with you if you’re concerned over car park stalkers 😉

Keyless entry is handy when your keys are in a zipped pocket, bag etc or if you’re carrying things.
D180 R-Dynamic SE
Narvik Black
Ebony / Ebony interior - leather
Pano Roof
Privacy Glass
Adaptive Dynamics
20" 1032 Wheels

moonlitknight

Post by moonlitknight » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:05 pm

Joe wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:09 am
How big is the chance, that someone with this kinda equipment is stalking you on the go, close enough to get your signal without getting noticed? If you feel this is likely, I’m glad you found your solution.
More and more likely with each iteration of the relay equipment. The bad guys don't need to stalk me, just sit around in public car parks waiting for shiny new RRs to drive in. To get my key signal, they simply need to walk past me or ask me for a light. I'm sure you've seen . It took 11 seconds for the relay transmitter to pick up the key's signal. That's through a wall, using equipment that is now over a year out of date, and where the exact location of the key isn't known. Compare that with the capability of the 2018 equipment, and the knowledge of exactly where the key is (ie. my pocket). From the US NCIB, 19 of 33 cars tested were vulnerable, so the odds are in the bad guys' favour.

MikeJL

Post by MikeJL » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:38 pm

@moonlitknight - it’s doable in a public space, but much higher risk, than a driveway in the middle of the night. Go to a nice quiet area & you might wait all day for a suitable target, choose a busy place & the chances of being seen and challenged is much greater.
The key only responds to a signal from the car, so an element of coordination between the two thieves is required; again risking challenge to the person constantly fiddling with the door handle. (Some cars stop transmitting if they don’t receive the correct response after so many attempts)

I understand why manufacturers allow cars to continue to be driven when the key signal is lost, but why don’t they use the lights and horn to draw attention to the vehicle after the first minute or so? Can’t think why you would legitimately want to drive without the key present when it was inside the vehicle to start it. Having said all that, a friend’s car was recovered on a transporter with the alarm going off every few minutes & no one challenged it.
D240 HSE 18MY. Firenze Red, Eclipse Interior, Panoramic Roof, Air Suspension
20 way electric seats with 14 way memory :-(
Software Version: 20C

Ckvelar

Post by Ckvelar » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:16 pm

Bought a signal blocking pouch. Works a treat. 8.99 from Amazon for a pair.

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:09 am

I can’t speak for the UK, but here in Germany most relay stolen cars are stolen from homes at night. Theft drive around in areas where they expect to find the cars they’re looking for. Wait for the night and do their thefts.

moonlitknight

Post by moonlitknight » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:09 am

tspdavey

Post by tspdavey » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:54 am

I wonder what MY it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeoLondon

Post by LeoLondon » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:05 pm

Funny but JLR doesn't actually say what this new feature is and to what MY it is fitted......Dan from JLR? Over to you.

https://www.landrover.co.uk/keylessentry/index.html
R-Dynamic HSE 3.0 D300, Corris Grey, Blk Pack, Eb Windsor, Sliding P Roof, Blk Con Roof, Priv Gls, HUD, Meridian 1600W, Drv Ass Pack, Clim Pack, Config Amb Lights, Illum Trd Plates, Pwr Sockets Rear, Conv Pack, Htd wheel, 21" Blk Gloss Wheels

Jim55

Post by Jim55 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:41 am

JLR have had a better solution for some time that they are fitting to some models but not across the range yet.

My December 18 MY19.5 Velar still uses the old less secure method.

434MHZ/NON UWB DR LK FREQUENCY

In the Topix extract above for my car if it had a UWB (Ultra Wide Band) as opposed to a NON UWB solution it would have much better immunity. With the UWB solution the transmitters and receivers built in the car are used to calculate the distance and direction of the key as it responds (this can also be used to open the door that the key holder is approaching) therefore if the time delay is too long it is ignored, I.e. a relay system would fail to unlock the car.

The JLR patent for the UWB system can be read on the internet, I've lost the URL but it is there, on a US patent web site and it was dated about 18 months or so ago if I recall.
December 2018: MY19.5, Kaikoura Stone, D300 R-Dynamic HSE, R-Dynamic Black Pack, 20" 10 spoke Satin Dark Grey wheels, fixed pano roof, Driver Assist pack, On/Off Road pack, Light Oyster seats and headlining.

MikeJL

Post by MikeJL » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:44 am

Jim55 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:41 am
JLR have had a better solution for some time that they are fitting to some models but not across the range yet.

My December 18 MY19.5 Velar still uses the old less secure method.

434MHZ/NON UWB DR LK FREQUENCY
Is that on the ‘Minor Features’ tab? I don’t have that reference, or anything similar on my 18MY.
It’s all very strange.
D240 HSE 18MY. Firenze Red, Eclipse Interior, Panoramic Roof, Air Suspension
20 way electric seats with 14 way memory :-(
Software Version: 20C