Am I bordering insanity tuning my P380?! Any others running a tune on their P380?

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
Kck77

Am I bordering insanity tuning my P380?! Any others running a tune on their P380?

Post by Kck77 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:22 am

Have an install appointment all set.. with ECU Tuning location here in Vancouver BC. Very reputable North American wide tuning company. They have been tuning this JLR 3.0 Supercharged motor for a while now. I would be doing the non-pulley swap ECU tune which increase gains to 425hp and 390 ft lbs torque ( from the stock 380 and 330 ). Throttle response, gear/paddle shifts and 0-60 speeds all very noticeabley increased, as well as the exhaust note through 1-3 gears ( with my installed quicksilver exhaust it should have a pretty deep note ). The speed limiter/governer is also removed. The tune has no affect on the drive modes as they are controlled by a completely different module. The tune is not detectable by dealer service depts, and if the tune is wiped during a factory dealer phase/software uodate, ECU will reinstall the tune for you free of charge... they also flash and save the current factory ECU tune and keep it on file, and will set your Range Rover back to factory before taking it in for a warranty issue if needed. The shop is 15 min from my home, and 5 minutes to my local LR service centre. I’m new to Range Rover, but not to tuning vehicles .. am I nuts to be doing this with all the issues the Velar can have? Anyone running a tune etc? The P380 with its ZF transmission in the Velar has so much untapped performance in it that I would love to unleash; I much prefer a more sport/performance driving experience. My Stealth Carpathian Grey HSE attached

37245A59-1E2C-40A7-8AE5-E79A9965EB13.jpeg

Monty

Re: Am I bordering insanity tuning my P380?! Any others running a tune on their P380?

Post by Monty » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:38 pm

You are not insane, and your car looks fantastic. I have not opted to do anything custom with my car, especially since I have been to the LR shop too many times for tech upgrades/issues. I would expect them to reset your car a few times so consider that before tuning. On a side note, I love that color! I have black on black on black and its too much shiny black. Is that a stock matte/color option or custom wrap? If custom, how much did that set you back? I would consider paying for that upgrade.

rebel1978

Re: Am I bordering insanity tuning my P380?! Any others running a tune on their P380?

Post by rebel1978 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:53 pm

Is an ECU tune the same as an ECU remap? If so is yours able to be switched back to the original if you wished? I know some can be very quickly switched back so for example if you had to send the car in to resolve a warranty issue the dealer would not be able to see the car and had been modified. Not sure if this is an issue in Canada.

P380NarvikEclipse

Post by P380NarvikEclipse » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:56 am

Not crazy based on what you described. The engine and powertrain can handle it.

Don’t think anyone has tried. I started this thread a little while back: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1339&p=14525&hilit=Tune#p11868

What tune are you doing? I’d be interested as well considering it’s hidden from dealer.

Oh, and this is mine :lol: hey brotha!

9BD72E4C-134F-4FB7-9C90-C2F049D36D4A.jpeg

DADDB0AC-99AE-4D01-B36C-D5848EBDD8DF.jpeg

1E88D0E3-C23E-4463-827E-9217A1CEA3D8.jpeg

‘18 RR Velar R-Dynamic SE P380, Narvik Black wrapped in Xpel Stealth PPF, Eclipse interior and a number of extras

Monty

Post by Monty » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:35 pm

P380NarvikEclipse, your car looks great as well! I see you are in NYC. I am in CT. Can I ask where you had your car wrapped? And are you happy with the job? PS. I saw you were active in a software chat. FYI, I just got my car back from service today (Darian, CT) and I now have CarPlay installed. Posted a picture here. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1295&start=70#p15267 I haven't played with it too much yet but Waze works and everything.

P380NarvikEclipse

Post by P380NarvikEclipse » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:07 pm

Monty wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:35 pm
P380NarvikEclipse, your car looks great as well! I see you are in NYC. I am in CT. Can I ask where you had your car wrapped? And are you happy with the job? PS. I saw you were active in a software chat. FYI, I just got my car back from service today (Darian, CT) and I now have CarPlay installed. Posted a picture here. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1295&start=70#p15267 I haven't played with it too much yet but Waze works and everything.
Amazing on the CarPlay! May have to book into Darian and just bite the bullet on the trip up. I’m booked into mine (Larchmont) Nov 12th, but want 100% confirmation of CarPlay being included before going. Thanks for the heads up. Do you have a service tech you like who I might be able to reach out to?

I had mine wrapped at Hydros Auto Spa in Astoria, which is one of Xpel’s certified installers. They do 3M and ceramic coatings as well, and powder coating, tints, full detailing etc. Very happy with the job, and the owner, Edwin, is a standup guy. Since Xpel Stealth is a PPF it wasn’t a cheap job, but got a 10yr warranty on it from Xpel and Edwin was very competitive compared to other shops in range of me. If you’re just looking for the color and not the additional protection from PPF, 3M will be more affordable. PM me with any questions!

@OP - let us know how it goes!

-Jake
‘18 RR Velar R-Dynamic SE P380, Narvik Black wrapped in Xpel Stealth PPF, Eclipse interior and a number of extras

bushido_427

Post by bushido_427 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:07 pm

Hi Kck77, awesome looking car! I think the tune would be a great idea. I've tuned a few of my turbo/supercharged cars in the past with good results. Curious which tune you're looking at. I'm in Vancouver as well and I'm expecting my car to be delivered in April. I'm also considering the Quicksilver exhaust which you've got. How do you like them, and are you experiencing any drone from normal driving and cruising at highway speeds?

dc44back

Post by dc44back » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:08 pm

If you value your warranty you’d better not tamper with the engine.

I spoke to a dealer today who confirmed their Ts and Cs will enable them to wangle out of the 3 year warranty if there are any upgrades or changes to the engine or components.

Better to trade in for the new SVA which looks like a gorilla on speed....
P380 R-Dynamic HSE: Indus Silver, 22" Diamond Turned alloys, Narvik Black roof and.... everything!!!

Pollo de muerte

Post by Pollo de muerte » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:43 am

Digging up an old thread to see if anyone has chipped or dyno-turned their P380.

I'd really be interested in whether a tuner can map different programs based on mode (Comfort, Eco, Dynamic).

My ultimate goal would be to have an Eco mode that is optimized for highway cruising efficiency while getting better throttle response in Comfort and Dynamic.
2019 Range Rover Velar HSE P380 ("Posh")
2019 Jaguar I Pace HSE FE ("Greebo")

geniusloci

Post by geniusloci » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:57 pm

Eco mode also affects AC, and they won't be able to change that.
ImageFirst Edition D300 HSE in Silver Flux Matte, Cete Automotive Active Sound, MOMO RF-04 wheels Pirelli Scorpion All Season tyres