Disable Stop / Start System

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
mth75

Re: Disable Stop / Start System

Post by mth75 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:26 am

And sorry for the off-topic questions, a on-topic question regarding your original post I gather it isn't possible to disable the start/stop system from one of the menu's?

edited: it is possible to disable the system.

http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/docu ... c/G2010635

mge.92

Post by mge.92 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:13 am

if I am not mistaken it should be the active rear end since it has the ability to be locked but don't 100% quote me on that
Marc
SOLD - 13 BMW X3 28i, Carbon Black, Fully Loaded, Tuned and Featured on Smoking Tire
18 Velar R-Dynamic HSE D300, Carpathian Grey / Vintage Tan / Ebony, Fully Loaded

mge.92

Post by mge.92 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:15 am

It is possible to disable the start / stop system but it has to be done every time you start up the car unlike BMW which allows you to disable start / stop system to remember the last setting.
Marc
SOLD - 13 BMW X3 28i, Carbon Black, Fully Loaded, Tuned and Featured on Smoking Tire
18 Velar R-Dynamic HSE D300, Carpathian Grey / Vintage Tan / Ebony, Fully Loaded

mth75

Post by mth75 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:15 pm

mge.92 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:15 am
It is possible to disable the start / stop system but it has to be done every time you start up the car unlike BMW which allows you to disable start / stop system to remember the last setting.
Ah, I see, that I didn't know. Thx for clarification.

FastLaneJB

Post by FastLaneJB » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:03 am

Just curious but why do you want to disable it? Having had a few cars with this system it's never caused an issue.

mge.92

Post by mge.92 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:07 am

Never liked the system even when I had it on my BMW X3. The amount of fuel you save versus the shudder and wear and tear on your engine is not worth it.
Marc

Chris42

Post by Chris42 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:37 pm

mge.92 wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:07 am
Never liked the system even when I had it on my BMW X3. The amount of fuel you save versus the shudder and wear and tear on your engine is not worth it.
Did you ever manage to disable the stop/start system?

Thanks,
Chris
2018 Velar First Edition, Silicon Silver - Ordered with February delivery

mge.92

Post by mge.92 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:43 pm

Not yet sadly
Marc

fatmanz

Post by fatmanz » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:14 pm

I'm pretty certain there's no way to permanently disable the auto stop/start function through software.

JLR have deliberately left this out of their system even though it is a basic feature people clearly want and the effort required on their part to fix it in software would be trivial.

Looking at the f-pace forums, others have worked around this by disconnecting the signal lead from the voltage quality module in the rear of the car:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-pa ... ce-167370/

This effectively disables the auto stop/start function as, according to topix, it relies on a signal from the VQM to ensure sufficient battery power is available for repeated engine starts without affecting the operation of the vehicle systems.

From what I can tell, there is no reason why the above would not work on the Velar as well. Personally, I think this is an effective way to solve the problem but it's not a clean/neat/hassle free solution.

I've recently been reading up on the message bus systems used in modern cars, some of which can be accessed through the OBD port - you may have seen people using Bluetooth OBD2 connectors to diagnose or display engine data on their iPad etc.

If the software button to disable/enable the auto stop/start function sends a message over the bus then it would be possible to program a custom OBD2 device to send an identical message, say 20 seconds after engine start, using something like this:
https://freematics.com/pages/products/freematics-one/

If that works then it would be a pretty neat solution, easy to install and remove and easy to build for others. Just an idea right now but I do hope to look into it when I get some time. Not sure if anyone else is really that interested in this approach but i'll definitely post back if it works.
P300, R-Dynamic S, Narvik Black, 20" 1032 Dark Grey, Air Suspension

Return to “Main Range Rover Velar chat”