Winter tyres vs Continental M+S

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
Wolfie

Re: Winter tyres vs Continental M+S

Post by Wolfie » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:14 pm

Crabacle wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:39 pm
By the way - I was told that if there’s a lot of water pop it into snow and ice mode - will cut out any aqauplaning.
THAT is interesting, will try it if I find myself in those conditions. Personally I’ve not had aquaplaning problems but the 22s are very wide and tread not especially deep so I could see how it could happen.

I don’t use cruise control when it’s very wet, that’s known to give control issues if you hit standing water.
D 300 First Edition Corris Grey

mrgandfriends.co.uk

Post by mrgandfriends.co.uk » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:47 pm

WalterKirk wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:27 pm
Ok, now had a chance to drive in heavy rain. Massive difference. No aquaplaning at all.

I can feel the road a bit more, very noticeable on Dynamic but that's a worthwhile trade off against the safety of cutting through standing water at high speed. Now just need some snow to test on
Really interesting to hear the difference.

I am about to shell out 1k for the same tyres you have had fitted as the aqua planing is just nasty. Thanks for the feedback, it's really appreciated.
Range Rover Velar, D300 HSE R-Dynamic, Corris Grey, Panoramic Sliding Roof, 21" 5 split-spoke 'Style 5047' with Diamond Turned finish, and a driver that smiles from ear to ear.

JonnyVTEC

Post by JonnyVTEC » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:23 pm

Had a bit of a moment on M+S tonight in heavy rain at bottom of a hill in the lanes. Guess it’s the nature of the tread pattern with limited water dispersion ability!

dan_uk_1984

Post by dan_uk_1984 » Sat May 30, 2020 11:12 pm

I know this is an old thread - but it caught my interest.

My previous Evoque was running Conti Cross Contacts, with good tread and Aquaplaned on the motorway and hit the central reservation. Thankfully it sounds like you guys haven't had quite such dramatic experiences - but I'd never buy a Conti again.

I'd like to add that M&S doesn't mean it's a winter tyre. It usually means it has a self clearing tread pattern (flings out the Mud and Snow) a winter tyre will have a snowflake symbol in a 3 peak mountain - this denotes a softer compound AND is a legal requirement in Europe where winter tyres are mandatory.

When buying used Winters - 6MM is the legal minimum tread depth in some EU countries, so if you're nipping down to The Alps - you wouldn't want to buy tyres with 7mm left as they only have 1mm useable.

winter-tire-snowflake-symbol.jpg

D300 First Edition - Corris Grey

raven14

Post by raven14 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:48 pm

This guy didn't have big issues driving his Velar off road in snow with All Seasons, here in the Belgian Ardennes...