Need a New Tyre ASAP

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
Nachos

Need a New Tyre ASAP

Post by Nachos » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:00 pm

To cut a long story short, I am in urgent need of a new back left tyre for my Velar. I'm done a quick browse and seen the following listed on asda

https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/bridgestone ... -h/p-sport

https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/continental ... tact-5-suv

https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/gt-radial/s ... active-suv

https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/royal/royal ... erformance

What would you recommend? In terms of tyres/retailers/garages?

Pcheaven

Re: Need a New Tyre ASAP

Post by Pcheaven » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:13 pm

Get whatever matches the other wheels.
R Dynamic HSE D300. HeadsUp, black pack, 22&20” black wheels, Off road pack, Tracker, air ionisation, tow bar, roof rails, pano roof, privacy glass, illuminated door plates, extended leather, config lighting, remote seat release,heated steering wheel

Jim55

Post by Jim55 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:58 pm

Pcheaven wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:13 pm
Would totally agree.

What tyres have you currently got - the standard fit All-Season tyres? If so, I don't think any of the tyres you have listed would be suitable as they look like Summer tyres. Mixing all season and summer tyres on the same axle would be a bad idea (not so terrific having mixed between axles) as they would have different levels of grip, especially in the cold and on ice and snow.
On order, due December 2018: MY19.5, Kaikoura Stone, D300 R-Dynamic HSE, R-Dynamic Black Pack, 20" 10 spoke Satin Dark Grey wheels, fixed pano roof, Driver Assist pack, On/Off Road pack, Light Oyster seats and headlining.

J77

Post by J77 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:04 pm

Blackcircles are good but echo above buy what’s fitted to the car.
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 18MY R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:15 am

Jim55 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:58 pm
Pcheaven wrote:
Would totally agree.

What tyres have you currently got - the standard fit All-Season tyres? If so, I don't think any of the tyres you have listed would be suitable as they look like Summer tyres. Mixing all season and summer tyres on the same axle would be a bad idea (not so terrific having mixed between axles) as they would have different levels of grip, especially in the cold and on ice and snow.
Hi there, yes I am currently running the standard fit tyres. And that's bad news - I hadn't realised they were summer tyres. I'm very grateful you've cleared this up for me before I actually made a buying decision. Would it invalidate insurance if you were to mix tyres of different seasons on the same axle on your vehicle?

If push comes to shove I will just replace both of the back tyres and after reading this I'll make sure they're all-season. The back left tyre is showing some very strange signs of wear, and while the right isn't as bad, it will probably be due another back tyre sooner or later anyhow.

Loz

Post by Loz » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:59 pm

It’s about safety not insurance or cost. The only contact your vehicle has with the road is through four tyres with a not substantial footprint. As per other replies unless you decide to replace all four you are best off replacing the one to match the other three.

Jim55

Post by Jim55 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:13 pm

Loz wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:59 pm
It’s about safety not insurance or cost. The only contact your vehicle has with the road is through four tyres with a not substantial footprint. As per other replies unless you decide to replace all four you are best off replacing the one to match the other three.
+1
On order, due December 2018: MY19.5, Kaikoura Stone, D300 R-Dynamic HSE, R-Dynamic Black Pack, 20" 10 spoke Satin Dark Grey wheels, fixed pano roof, Driver Assist pack, On/Off Road pack, Light Oyster seats and headlining.

RichWilkie

Post by RichWilkie » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:36 pm

Nachos wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:15 am
Jim55 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:58 pm
Pcheaven wrote:
Would totally agree.

Hi there, yes I am currently running the standard fit tyres. And that's bad news - I hadn't realised they were summer tyres. I'm very grateful you've cleared this up for me before I actually made a buying decision. Would it invalidate insurance if you were to mix tyres of different seasons on the same axle on your vehicle?

If push comes to shove I will just replace both of the back tyres and after reading this I'll make sure they're all-season. The back left tyre is showing some very strange signs of wear, and while the right isn't as bad, it will probably be due another back tyre sooner or later anyhow.
You should NEVER mix Summer and All Season tyres on the vehicle at the same time. You should have 4 x tyres of the same compound and tread pattern on the vehicle.

If you are replacing 1 or even two tyres on a vehicle, there should be no need to ask for advice, replace like for like. Different story of you are replacing all 4 tyres

Return to “Main Range Rover Velar chat”