Range Rover Velar Forum banner

Type of Oil / Filter / etc. for 2018 Velar V6

20K views 33 replies 11 participants last post by  Pollo de muerte 
#1 ·
Hello All,

Looking for some help.
Does anyone know what kind of oil and oil filter (and whatever else needed) for an oil change?

I am looking to change my own oil to avoid a trip to the dealership.

I have a 2018 Velar V6

Please let me know.

#5 ·
carbro1

DUY as follows as am also doing it myself on my US 2018 Velar P380 R-Dynmaic HSE:

Oil Filter Wrench Socket 90mm 15 Flute
Oil Cap Torque Spec: 25 Nm (Printed on Cap)
Oil Capacity: 6.9 Quarts (6.5 Liter)
Oil Castrol EDGE™ Professional 0W20 E Synthetic (STJLR.51.5122)

Reset Service Reminder Directions plus Invoice US $ Cost w Filter # below:

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

Font Screenshot Parallel Multimedia Event

Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Circle

Attachments

#7 ·
Jhy

I don't do it to save $s - I have the tools and time and it's one of my hobbies - plus I suck it out from the top oil fill cap (just like the dealers) so no under car crawling around.

But, the Jacksonville, Florida dealer charges $375 and I live 70 miles south so that is also an inconvenient trip for me.

So, I made a deal w the Jax dealer and bought the oil and filter wholesale when I visited my daughters in Jacksonville.

BTW - the "OE" Castrol (ref Fluke above) does not meet the Velar STJLR.51.5122 spec - the "OE" Castrol is generic Land Rover for earlier Range Rovers, VWs and Mercedes - Velar STJLR.51.5122 spec requires the "E" Castrol 0W20 not "OE" - check the back labels on both versions vs trust the dealer.

Geo

#9 ·
carbro1

Yes--you can buy from any LR dealer. That is my dealer invoice above from Jacksonville Florida Land Rover , which includes part #s for both the oil and filter and states both Retail and wholesale prices at US $s.

Any advertised compatible oil is a scam unless it specifically states stjlr515122 on the back of the container.

Just make sure it is Castrol Edge Professional E 0W20 not OE.

See Photo of front and rear container below:
Font Rectangle Label Packaging and labeling Brand

Font Material property Publication Parallel Paper

Font Personal care Metal Wood Drink

Attachments

#15 ·
Geo said:
Carbo

Did you change your oil as yet?

I did yesterday w no issues per my entries above.

Take care,

Geo
I saw this info on the net, somethings I didn't realise as like many others (I suspect) I thought oil changes are simply whip out the drain plug, remove and replace the filter, fill back up again with new oil and all done - apparently not so with modern engines!

Info from about 12:50 onwards in the link below. Don't know if this is relevant to JLR engines but would be worth confirming before doing a DIY change.

#18 ·
Don't you invalidate any warranty doing a home oil change ???

#19 ·
KIZZYP said:
Don't you invalidate any warranty doing a home oil change ???
No, not in UK. Just keep receipts to prove you used approved materials. "Your consumer rights are not affected "

#20 ·
I wanted to share with you my lessons learned in changing my Velar oil and filter.

Ref my previous posts above.

The Velar takes exactly 6.9 Quarts (6.5 Liter) per the Owner's Manual.

Any more than that will give you an "Oil Over Fill" message when you check oil via the Instrument Panel Menu.

When I used the below evacuation pump - See Attached Photo - You Tube Internet Videos demo this for Land Rovers - I evacuated exactly 6.9 Quarts (6.5 Liter).

Once you have refilled the oil and sealed the filter housing and closed the hood, it is very important to then warm up the motor and then check via the Instrument Panel (After exactly 10 Minutes) that you have the proper oil fill level.

Note: If you wait longer than 10 minutes you will not get a correct reading.

I know this because, I initially re-filled with 7 ½ quarts (I know - but I am an over kill, more is better type guy!). So, when I checked the oil level several times after an hour or more it did not give me a proper reading.

I then followed specifically the 10 Minute after engine shut down "Owner Manual Guidance" and got an "Over Fill Warning".

So, I had to evacuate out ½ Quart and then re-read after exactly 10 Min engine shut-down and it correctly showed full w no over fill warning - See Attached Photo.

Lessons Learned:

1) Evacuating Oil using the small drain tube inside the Oil Fill Cap evacuates all the oil,

2) Refill w exactly 6.9 Quarts (6.5 Liter) unless you have driven the car hard and used up some of the 6.9 Quarts (6.5 Liter) of factory filled oil, which would be indicated by again checking the oil as described above,

3) Wait exactly 10 Minutes after engine shut-down whenever checking oil level as waiting any longer does not give an accurate reading.
These are my lessons learned that I wanted to share w everyone!

BTW in USA DIY Oil Change does not void the Warranty if you use OEM Velar Filter and Castrol EDGE™ Professional 0W20 E Synthetic (meets STJLR.51.5122) per my comments above and keep all receipts.

My next project is rotating the Tires !

Take care,

George

Attachments

#22 ·
My last oil change was at the dealership, but it is something I enjoy on a nice day! Inspect the vehicle for warranty issues that I might not have noticed yet. Some things I have found in the past, leaking strut, seeping battery all replaced under warranty, not on this Velar, btw. Also I have had sloppy oil changes that doesn't happen when I perform it. Good reason to enjoy a few favorite beverages!
So my question, how is next service due reset? On the app and in the car?
Thank you for any information, will not be due till November, but hope to figure it out before then!

#23 ·
I have not needed to use them yet but here are the instructions that I found a while back:

2017-2019 Range Rover Velar Service Warning Light Reset:
To reset the Service Warning Message on the 2017 2018 2019 Land Rover Range Rover Velar, conform to the following instructions:
• First you have to open the bonnet
• Turn the ignition key to the "ON" position without starting the engine, If your car has push-button start, press the "Start" button without touching the brake pedal.
• Open the driver's door
• Hold the accelerator and brake pedals all the way down until you see SERVICE RESETTING in the dash
• Turn off your car and start the engine to see if warning went away.

#24 ·
Well that is certainly interesting. Do you remember where you found that reset? I assume it will reset the next service do and then the app will relay that information. Holding the accelerator in on other fuel injected vehicles will help with a flooded engine. A bit of a learning curve with this Land Rover.
Thank you for sharing Pollo de muerte!

#25 ·
I don't recall where I found it; I just have it in a directory of random car stuff.

Also, FWIW, my RR dealer would not sell me bottles of the special Castrol formulation that meets the JLR 5122 spec and it isn't otherwise available here in the US. After doing some research I found the correct spec here:

https://www.blauparts.com/land-range-rover-oil-change-kit-30l.html

#26 ·
Geo's dealer sold him some. I have not tried my dealer, but given my experience from my fist oil change, I believe I have an argument. First oil change, they forgot to put the filler cap on and ran it. Some oil supposedly leaked out and was not cleaned up till I noticed drips on my epoxy garage floor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.