5,000 more jobs to be cut at JLR

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
saqibm

5,000 more jobs to be cut at JLR

Post by saqibm » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:49 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46810473

To be announced later today. Looks like a tough 2019 ahead for JLR.

sensiblesoccer

Re: 5,000 more jobs to be cut at JLR

Post by sensiblesoccer » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:26 am

And, 3000 created at the new plant in Nitra, Slovakia. JLRs current situation was always on the cards. No-one truly believed that the massive demand in China would continue indefinitely. Add that readjustment to the demonisation of diesel engines and they are facing a squeeze. However, how long do you think it takes to design and construct a new facility in Slovakia? It hasn't happened overnight, and the decision was obviously taken before the current problems arose.

dc44back

Post by dc44back » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:31 am

Does anyone else on here think that as well as the China downturn, demonisation of Diesels and Brexit, JLR’s fall from grace is ALSO due to poor build quality on recent models and less than inspiring customer service?

I read their turnaround plan sponsored by their CEO Mr Speth and out of 70 odd Powerpoint slides only one barely mentioned the need to improve service delivery to the customer.

I thought that was shocking....
P380 R-Dynamic HSE: Indus Silver, 22" Diamond Turned alloys, Narvik Black roof and.... everything!!!

J77

Post by J77 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:35 am

Over priced, quality well below what’s expected of vehicles in this price range, dealers that couldn’t careless and LRs bury their head in the sand attitude definitely play a part.
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 18MY R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White

LewiJ

Post by LewiJ » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:56 pm

sensiblesoccer wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:26 am
And, 3000 created at the new plant in Nitra, Slovakia. JLRs current situation was always on the cards. No-one truly believed that the massive demand in China would continue indefinitely. Add that readjustment to the demonisation of diesel engines and they are facing a squeeze. However, how long do you think it takes to design and construct a new facility in Slovakia? It hasn't happened overnight, and the decision was obviously taken before the current problems arose.
They’ve been planning this for years. A few of my mates have been out there whilst working for Lear, who make the seats etc.
D180 R-Dynamic SE
Narvik Black
Ebony / Ebony interior - leather
Pano Roof
Privacy Glass
Adaptive Dynamics
20" 1032 Wheels

Spencerwilks

Post by Spencerwilks » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:09 pm

The media have very unfairly demonised Diesel car owners and drivers when the latest Euro 6 complaint engines are the cleanest ever and make much more sense for high mileage use. However JLR have been slow to respond in offering Hybrid vehicles at sensible prices burying their head in the sand and ignoring the resistance to diesel quickly enough.
Ralf Speth does not offer much confidence as CEO so how long will it be before Tata try to offload JLR now that the good times appear to have departed. Decline in quality across the JLR range has also been a factor in the fall in sales as customers who have been on 2 year PCP deals go to other more reliable brands following disappointing products and dealers.
2017 240 D Dynamic R. Firenze Red with blackpack and black wheels

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:54 pm

Seeing families loosing their income is always a very sad thing. I hope they’ll get something adequate and can move on.

I agree that JLR products are in a high prize range, but they’re quite unique. We owned more then a dozen new premium German cars, you name them. Yes they were good cars, and yes they also had their flaws. My Audi TT for example, first series and one of the very first build, was 31 times in the shop in 36 month leasing time. Additionally it tried to kill me twice. I got the whole Audi models during this period. If someone would ask me what car of all this premium cars I liked most, I wouldn’t have to think. There is only one car I can drive for 10h straid, get out and can’t wait for the next time I will drive it again. That is the Velar.

Yes, they do have quality issues that need to be solved out. Most of them are caused by a weak quality assurance and testing. Software needs to be tested, and that doesn’t mean by the customers. And finally there is absolutely no excuse for a bad customer service. Managers who don’t understand the value of their customers and therefore grant an excellent customer service need to be fired. These are the ones causing the real damage to the company. One of the reasons 5000 families now have to pay for. Amazon got this right. They don’t invest into marketing for new customers, but offer an excellent customer service. In return existing customers spread the word and convince new customers.
Another thing is this Brexit disaster. Not the Brexit itself, everyone can have his own opinion on it,, but the way it is handled causes unnecessary turbulences. Also a price the citizen have to pay.

Jim55

Post by Jim55 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:36 pm

Joe wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:54 pm

[Customer service] Amazon got this right. They don’t invest into marketing for new customers, but offer an excellent customer service. In return existing customers spread the word and convince new customers.

Another thing is this Brexit disaster. Not the Brexit itself, everyone can have his own opinion on it,, but the way it is handled causes unnecessary turbulences. Also a price the citizen have to pay.
Well said.

I totally agree, if you look after your customers they will look after you.

Brexit, I can't think how it could have been handled worse, right from before the vote through to today. Both within the UK and within the EU the worst option looks to have been the default position by all those involved. :(
December 2018: MY19.5, Kaikoura Stone, D300 R-Dynamic HSE, R-Dynamic Black Pack, 20" 10 spoke Satin Dark Grey wheels, fixed pano roof, Driver Assist pack, On/Off Road pack, Light Oyster seats and headlining.

Halifaxian

Post by Halifaxian » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:59 pm

I'm picking my Velar up in April I wonder what the plate will look like (No EU flag)
Dynamic SE 180
Fuji White
Black Roof
Privacy Glass
Heated Steering Wheel
Dark Ash panels
Extended Leather
Drivers pack ACC
Full panaramic roof
No car

J77

Post by J77 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:10 pm

UK plates will look like they have always done :?
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 18MY R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White

Return to “Main Range Rover Velar chat”