Range Rover Velar Forum banner

Hill hold assist

32K views 55 replies 30 participants last post by  mmbe 
#1 ·
Does anyone else find the hill hold assist a little slow to kick in?

A couple of times I've taken my foot off the brake on a hill and before I've got it to the accelerator have panicked as the car started to roll back.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Matty said:
andybanks said:

A couple of times I've taken my foot off the brake on a hill and before I've got it to the accelerator have panicked as the car started to roll back.

I've only noticed this when the auto stop/start had kicked in.
Same for me, I have learnt to rock the steering wheel before lifting my foot off the brake pedal which causes the engine to fire up and the car doesn't roll back when I do lift my foot of the brake.

#7 ·
Matty said:
andybanks said:

I've only noticed this when the auto stop/start had kicked in.
I have noticed it to and it kicks in okay quickly, I wasn't to bothered about it, but the more I think I never had such an issue with my `BMW during start/stop so I think I will raise it my dealer.

#8 ·
Never an issue in all my previous Audi's. Not a massive inconvenience but certainly a mild annoyance!! I too rock the steering now if I'm on a hill.

I'll have my dealer look at it when they are looking into the other 15 issues I have!! 😂🤔🤭😫😤🙄

#10 ·
Just spoke to the dealer on this... tried to fob me off that it is normal for an automatic... From the manual:
HILL START ASSIST
Hill start assist is part of the Dynamic
Stability Control (DSC) system.
The hill start assist feature activates when
the vehicle is pulling away from a standstill
to ascend a hill. When the brake pedal is
released, hill start assist smoothly releases
the brake pressure, allowing the vehicle
to pull away without rolling backward.
If a hill start assist fault is detected, the
Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) OFF
warning lamp illuminates. The instrument
panel displays a warning message.

Without rolling backwards is pretty clear...

#19 ·
MITO said:
Puzzling as my 2018 P250S has perfect hill hold function even with stop/start active. Not sure why this is an issue on other cars.
That's the problem, just when you think it's working ok you roll back a couple of feet. I'd a Disco Sport for 3 years and that was exactly the same. Nine times out of ten it was ok then all of a sudden when it really mattered it would drop you in it. At least it's handbrake was in a handy place next to the "gears" unlike the Velars, and you pulled it on rather than pushed it.

#20 ·
yasmar said:
MITO said:
Puzzling as my 2018 P250S has perfect hill hold function even with stop/start active. Not sure why this is an issue on other cars.
That's the problem, just when you think it's working ok you roll back a couple of feet. I'd a Disco Sport for 3 years and that was exactly the same. Nine times out of ten it was ok then all of a sudden when it really mattered it would drop you in it. At least it's handbrake was in a handy place next to the "gears" unlike the Velars, and you pulled it on rather than pushed it.
I probably tempted fate with my comment. Agree it's bad news if it fails when you least expect it to!

#25 ·
included here:

Thank you for your email, 5th April 2019, the contents of which have been duly noted.

Our chassis engineers have come back to advise that they have identified the concern which you have raised, apparent on a slope at a gradient of more than 2% and less than 6%. They have advised that the vehicle might roll backward or forward depend on the level of gradient, which is apparent to both you and our service team.

According to our hazard analysis, we do not consider the rollback relevant to functional safety, the reason being is that the user is continuously present/in control during this scenario. Rollback can either be prevented by creep torque or by the driver's input (maintaining the brake pedal applied).

I consider the scenario fully controllable with respect to safety, however I am in agreement from a driver-aid point of view.

Recognising the issue you have raised, our intention is for software to be developed and released to improve the concern you have raised.

#26 ·
I've been delaying my order for Velar because of all the things I read on the Forum, so forgive me if I'm not 100% Velar-savvy.

I read that the new Evoque has an 'enhanced' hill hold assist so doesn't have the time-out (apparently).
And on a recent off-road Velar test-drive the Instructor implied that this will (may?) be ported to the Velar. We'll see.

Maybe this will only work above a certain amount of 'steepness'.
I agree this 'assist' sounds a bit limp (esp with auto engine start/stop) but is the current system more convenient in stop-start traffic up a hill?

Can't you just use the EPB if stopped for more than a few seconds? In my dear old Evoque using EPB is no big deal, I assume the Velar is the same?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.