Range Rover Velar Forum banner

Noises in the back / trunk

33K views 42 replies 24 participants last post by  steeeeps 
#1 ·
Hi All

Anyone with common issue?

During driving at low speed I hear strange noise in the back of the car. At the beginning I was thinking that sth is bumping into the plastic part of the trunk (some lose screw inside the panel?).

When can you hear it:
When turning (90 degrees turn) - you can hear it in initial turn and when leaving the turn (also when entering and leaving roundabout)
When foot is released from the accelerator
When driving on bumps

The bumping is quite loud. It can be heard even with car audio turn on. I have removed all things form the trunk (together with the spare) and it was still knocking.

I have reported this issue to the dealer to have it fixed during first service:. What they did:
1. They claimed that issue does not exists.
2. After forced to the test drive, they admited the issue exists.
3. They claimed that body welt may be doing the noise.
4. They changed this diagnosis to the lose trunk lock.

I guess the lock was greased and it maybe helped for one day (at least the noises were quieter). Now the noises are even louder.
Any ideas what should be checked?

Regards
P.

See less See more
#5 ·
LT B 0 1 1 4 0 V 4
TECHNICAL BULLETIN
2 0 M A R 2 0 1 9

SITUATION:
A customer may express a concern that an audible boom can be heard in the passenger compartment when the vehicle is in motion. This
technical bulletin has been updated due to a change to the affected markets.
CAUSE:
• Incorrect rear subframe alignment.
• Missing foam inserts in the tailgate seal.
• Incorrect tailgate alignment.
• Incorrect exhaust alignment.
Suggested customer concern code - MQ3

#6 ·
Thanks Andy, I sent this TB to my service advisor

#8 ·
I had this issue shortly after I got my Velar - sounded like a suspension knock and was evident at most road speeds but at its worst when the body was under stress - eg when mounting a kerb/driveway. Dealer adjusted the boot latch twice which solved the problem for about 48hrs and then it returned.

Eventually I wrapped the lower boot latch (the part attached to the car not the boot lid) with insulation tape and the noise has been gone ever since. You need to add wraps of insulation tape gradually though - too much and the boot will not close as it thinks there is an obstruction and raises again. The problem appears to be that the latch is too thin for the boot catch and as a result it rattles around and causes the knock.

Hope this helps - the noise was driving me mad!

#9 ·
LRNut said:
I had this issue shortly after I got my Velar - sounded like a suspension knock and was evident at most road speeds but at its worst when the body was under stress - eg when mounting a kerb/driveway. Dealer adjusted the boot latch twice which solved the problem for about 48hrs and then it returned.

Eventually I wrapped the lower boot latch (the part attached to the car not the boot lid) with insulation tape and the noise has been gone ever since. You need to add wraps of insulation tape gradually though - too much and the boot will not close as it thinks there is an obstruction and raises again. The problem appears to be that the latch is too thin for the boot catch and as a result it rattles around and causes the knock.

Hei man! You are a genious!!

I solve with a 5cm of tape!

Thanks

#17 ·
LRNut said:

Hi!

Thanks a lot for your advice. I guess it must be it, because my dealer also did something with the boot latch. It helped for no longer than one day.
I will try our solution out.

Regards

#19 ·
LRNut said:
Eventually I wrapped the lower boot latch (the part attached to the car not the boot lid) with insulation tape and the noise has been gone ever since.
You are my hero man!
It also worked for me. I used duck tape.
Thank you very much!

#20 ·
Had to do the same with a previous BMW. Sad but true. My tailgate is missaligned at the moment but no rattling at the moment.

#22 ·
Crazy- just get them to fix it. The only time my Velar has made a noise was when the boot hadn't fully closed because of an obstruction and the warning was visible on the dash. Don't mess about, get it sorted!

#24 ·
Matty said:
I've come from Audi's too. This Velar is my first and last JLR car! Just sick of the Mickey Mouse build quality.
I have 2 german cars - both bought from new and highly-specified. So you think you should get your ££ worth
> One has had a misaligned driverside door trim I noticed almost immediately and BMW has never been able to fix.
> Other had a side bolster sag within weeks, AMG couldnt replace the lower door squab, then sent one that was too hard and uncomfortable, and so had someone fly over to hand fix and stitch the seat.

And dont get me started on the Italian cars!

Point is, things go wrong. Dont let it stop you enjoying your driving tastefully!

#26 ·
I thought I was going crazy, have literally been back to the dealer 5 times for this. They replaced the light bar and realigned the tail gate. I'm going to try this fix tonight and will update, will post pic if it works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.