Engine fan running most of the time

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
Oh when the Spurs

Engine fan running most of the time

Post by Oh when the Spurs » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:52 am

The engine fan is running a lot on my Velar. When I'm driving, when idling, about 70% of the time it's running. Has anyone else experienced this?

RobG

Re: Engine fan running most of the time

Post by RobG » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:08 pm

Generally they are very quiet and run at a low speed if required in hot weather.
Had my thermostat changed a few months ago as once it's been running for 20 mins the fan cut in at full wack sounded like the car was going to take off. It was a fault within the thermostat and has something to do with a shrouded secondary pipe within. I'd get it checked theres no fault codes for yours.

Oh when the Spurs

Post by Oh when the Spurs » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:53 am

RobG wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:08 pm
Generally they are very quiet and run at a low speed if required in hot weather.
Had my thermostat changed a few months ago as once it's been running for 20 mins the fan cut in at full wack sounded like the car was going to take off. It was a fault within the thermostat and has something to do with a shrouded secondary pipe within. I'd get it checked theres no fault codes for yours.
Thanks, I'll do that.

RangeRoverChris

Post by RangeRoverChris » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:58 pm

I have the exact same thing happening with my Velar as we speak. It started happening off and on about 6 weeks ago. Now the fan runs most of the time. It sounds like a jet engine. It's pretty embarrassing. I bow my head in shame at red lights while my fancy new car sets off car alarms and breaks local noise ordinance codes. I called the dealer yesterday and they are dropping off a loaner and picking up the car for service next week. Going to have my non working rear door handle lock fixed as well.
19MY R-Dynamic SE P250 Fuji White/Black Contrast Roof

Maltise

Post by Maltise » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:55 pm

Water pump issue if the fan is chronically running at high speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RangeRoverChris

Post by RangeRoverChris » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:30 am

Just received my Velar back after 10 days at the shop. They fixed the cooling fan issue. They had to replace the water pump, as Maltise stated above. The dealer did say they have been seeing this same issue across both brands during the last few months. But this was the first Velar that came in with the cooling fan problem. He believes there must have been a bad batch of sensors that made it into the production line.
19MY R-Dynamic SE P250 Fuji White/Black Contrast Roof

Maltise

Post by Maltise » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:27 am

RangeRoverChris wrote:Just received my Velar back after 10 days at the shop. They fixed the cooling fan issue. They had to replace the water pump, as Maltise stated above. The dealer did say they have been seeing this same issue across both brands during the last few months. But this was the first Velar that came in with the cooling fan problem. He believes there must have been a bad batch of sensors that made it into the production line.
It’s like I may seen 5 or 10 of these before. Currently Jaguar water pumps are on back order, but the Land Rover water pumps are the same just a heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColinMax

Post by ColinMax » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:32 pm

I had the same problem in June/July. The car was repaired but first of all the dealer thought it was thermostat gone wrong, then they had to change the water pump and all is well now. They told me there were none in the country (2nd week July) and they got one from another dealer.
The car had only done 3000 miles and water pump gone!!😡

basel

Post by basel » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:11 am

I think it is only a problem of P250/P300 versions ...

my P250 often just turn it off and the fan starts ... for about 1/2 minutes ... so it's normal?
Velar P250 SE

RobG

Post by RobG » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:13 am

This is normal. Mine cuts in sometimes at a low speed after switching off if hot out for 20 seconds or so. (P300)