Engine fan running most of the time

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
tspdavey

Re: Engine fan running most of the time

Post by tspdavey » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:09 pm

danielmaui wrote:My 2019 P250 SE started this a couple weeks ago. It's not hot enough for it to go non-stop but it starts after a few minutes of driving and sounds full-blast. It seems START/STOP causes it to go quiet when stopped at a light, but starts right back again as soon as I let off the brake. Unfortunately, I'm on an island (Maui) and there is no dealer here for warranty or any other kind of service and I would have to ship it by regularly scheduled barge to Honolulu to have any work done on it. I'm at about 8000 miles and have not had service on it yet since received new. I'm planning on taking it to a local BOSCH Service Center for it's 10k service but that's a couple months away. The temperature gage does not go past the middle mark so it's not getting too hot. Thoughts? Suggestions?
Taking mine in for this in 2 weeks. Will keep you updated on whether it matters/can be left or if it could cause damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RangeRoverChris

Post by RangeRoverChris » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:47 pm

Cooling fan started acting up again this week. Just like last time, it turns on and off at will. I know it has nothing to do with the weather. I live in New England and the fan turned on last Monday when it was 22° and again yesterday when the temp was 70°. This problem was supposedly fixed 5 months ago when the dealer replaced the water pump. The fan worked fine up until last week. Now I have the car scheduled to be serviced in 2 weeks. I will keep the forum posted as to the cause.
19MY R-Dynamic SE P250 Fuji White/Black Contrast Roof

danielmaui

Post by danielmaui » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:31 am

tspdavey wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:09 pm
danielmaui wrote:My 2019 P250 SE started this a couple weeks ago. It's not hot enough for it to go non-stop but it starts after a few minutes of driving and sounds full-blast. It seems START/STOP causes it to go quiet when stopped at a light, but starts right back again as soon as I let off the brake. Unfortunately, I'm on an island (Maui) and there is no dealer here for warranty or any other kind of service and I would have to ship it by regularly scheduled barge to Honolulu to have any work done on it. I'm at about 8000 miles and have not had service on it yet since received new. I'm planning on taking it to a local BOSCH Service Center for it's 10k service but that's a couple months away. The temperature gage does not go past the middle mark so it's not getting too hot. Thoughts? Suggestions?
Taking mine in for this in 2 weeks. Will keep you updated on whether it matters/can be left or if it could cause damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you! Drove it around today and it's pretty much non-stop loud fan until auto stop/start kicks in at a light. I spoke with our local BOSCH shop and they can do a diagnostic for about $140. He suggested that a software update that they can do might also resolve issues and would take a couple of hours at $140/hr. Since there's no dealer here, we don't have a lot of options, locally.
2019 SE P250 R-Dynamic Byron Blue, Black Exterior, Black Contrast Roof, Black Roof Rails, 21-inch 5-Split Spoke Style 5047 w/Diamond Turned Finish

PAT

Post by PAT » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:31 pm

Got the same issue on my P250 SE (MY18) and have it booked in to be fixed.
R-Dynamic SE P250

danielmaui

Post by danielmaui » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:26 pm

PAT wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:31 pm
Please keep us updated on what hey say/do. Thanks!
2019 SE P250 R-Dynamic Byron Blue, Black Exterior, Black Contrast Roof, Black Roof Rails, 21-inch 5-Split Spoke Style 5047 w/Diamond Turned Finish

kukoc7

Post by kukoc7 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:57 pm

RangeRoverChris wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:47 pm
This problem was supposedly fixed 5 months ago when the dealer replaced the water pump. The fan worked fine up until last week. Now I have the car scheduled to be serviced in 2 weeks. I will keep the forum posted as to the cause.
Please do. I also had my water pomp replaced. It all works great now , but I'm pretty worried reading that it happened to you for the second time.

PAT

Post by PAT » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:39 pm

danielmaui wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:26 pm
PAT wrote:
Please keep us updated on what hey say/do. Thanks!
Car was in today and was told that the fault was the water pump and that it shouldn’t be driven until it’s replaced.
They’ve ordered a new pump that’s due to arrive tomorrow so will get the car back then.
R-Dynamic SE P250

tgpl

Post by tgpl » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:42 pm

I’ve experienced that noisy fan thing a couple of times. Water pump was replaced yesterday under warranty. Let’s see if that solves the issue
P300 HSE byron blue, black roof

RRSTW

Post by RRSTW » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:08 pm

It very probably will.

For those you have to wait for the pump to be replaced, and absolutely need the car, check your coolant level. Refill to max if required, this will keep the fan off for longer periods of time. (Do this when the engine is cold, and be careful when unscrewing the filler cap.)

My dealer explained to me that that pump, despite being driven by a belt, is electronically controlled, ie it does not run at all times. However, the issue is that its kludge seems prone to failure, keeping the pump longer off than intended. As a result, the coolant gets very hot (as it does not circulate through the radiator) and vaporizes, and due to rising pressure, escapes through one or more protection valves.

danielmaui

Post by danielmaui » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:54 pm

PAT wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:39 pm
danielmaui wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:26 pm
PAT wrote:
Please keep us updated on what they say/do. Thanks!
Car was in today and was told that the fault was the water pump and that it shouldn’t be driven until it’s replaced.
They’ve ordered a new pump that’s due to arrive tomorrow so will get the car back then.
Curious Pat if that made a difference for you and if they replaced anything else in the process. Did you have to wait a while for the pump to get to the dealer? I'll need to ship mine on a barge to the dealer so wondering if it will take some time for them to get the part while it sits there. Thanks!