Range Rover Velar Forum banner

New Android Remote App 3.0 fails to open since update

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  GIANLUK70 
#1 ·
Since the Remote app updated yesterday it now fails to open. I have uninstalled it, stopped and re-started the phone, reloaded the app and still it fails on start-up.

Looking at the reviews on Play Store this looks to be a fairly common occurrence for many since the new version was allowed to escape (was going to say released but that would imply a successful planned activity :lol: )

I have been using the Jaguar and Land Rover Remote equivalent apps without issue since Sept 2016.

Samsung Galaxy S8
Android version 9

I assume there will be others with the same issue and it would be interesting to compare phones and Android versions.

#2 ·
I had the same issue.

However, when I went back to do another reinstall, I noticed that there is another version of the Remote App on there with a different icon to the old one. It downloads and works perfectly and has a clean modern interface.

Its called Land Rover Remote rather than Land Rover InControl Remote.

#3 ·
IanK said:
I had the same issue.

However, when I went back to do another reinstall, I noticed that there is another version of the Remote App on there with a different icon to the old one. It downloads and works perfectly and has a clean modern interface.

Thanks I have downloaded it and it works.

This looks like an old version (shown as 2.0.1) and does not look to be in the same series as the App I had on my phone that updated itself yesterday and no longer works. It would be nice if JLR tested their software before allowing it to escape into the wild :D

#4 ·
Jim55 said:
IanK said:
I had the same issue.

Thanks I have downloaded it and it works.

This looks like an old version (shown as 2.0.1) and does not look to be in the same series as the App I had on my phone that updated itself yesterday and no longer works. It would be nice if JLR tested their software before allowing it to escape into the wild :D
Go into Settings and then Apps and then the remote app, clear storage and cache, uninstall, and then go reinstall it. It shoudl then reask you for permissions and work

#7 ·
mkenny28, thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately it made no difference. I ended up clearing cache and data for all apps with the words Land, Rover, or Remote in their name :oops:

Restarted the phone, downloaded and installed the 3.0 App and ..... No change, still fails to open, though I did briefly see the opening screen before it closed the first time I tried.

So back to 2.0.1

#8 ·
Jim55 said:
mkenny28, thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately it made no difference. I ended up clearing cache and data for all apps with the words Land, Rover, or Remote in their name :oops:

Restarted the phone, downloaded and installed the 3.0 App and ..... No change, still fails to open, though I did briefly see the opening screen before it closed the first time I tried.

So back to 2.0.1
I just realized I am in the States and on 1.80 so we are way behind. We just received an update but it looks exactly the same; however I had the same behavior as you and after I did what I said it worked. The brand new app must be a completely different beast. So I have that to look forward to.... ;)

#10 ·
kukoc7 said:
Had the same problem. Clearing all data from the app fixed the issue.

I wonder if anyone in JLR did some installability testing before app was released. Major ****up.
Thanks, first time I've had to clear the cache and data immediately after downloading and installing an App before using it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.