Flatulent AC

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
tspdavey

Flatulent AC

Post by tspdavey » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:02 pm

Hope the title got your attention...

So on startup my 6 month old velar is producing an eggy / sulphur smell for the first few mins of use. I thought it might be the washer fluid as it worsened when using that but despite a full refill it’s still pretty bad.

Any advice what this could be or how to fix? I live in London so wouldn’t have thought mould would be a problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haybrd

Re: Flatulent AC

Post by Haybrd » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:45 pm

Mine is 3 weeks old and has a similar odd smell outside the car (not inside fortunately). It’s got less over the last 3 weeks (1,100 miles on the clock) though so I assumed it was brake pads or something burning off as new.
MY20 D240 R-Dynamic SE, Santorini Black, 14 way heated, memory seats, Heated/power recline rear, 20” 7 spike gloss black wheels, Electrically deployable towbar, Fixed panoramic roof, Rear seat release , Power pack 2

RichWilkie

Post by RichWilkie » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:48 pm

It is the DPF regeneration, you need to drive sufficiently to let the regeneration complete

tspdavey

Post by tspdavey » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:54 pm

RichWilkie wrote:It is the DPF regeneration, you need to drive sufficiently to let the regeneration complete
Even if it’s petrol?

Andy S

Post by Andy S » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:47 pm

if its petrol, i'm not sure, but if diesel its due to an interupted DPF regen cycle... it should stop after about 6 months...

tspdavey

Post by tspdavey » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:48 pm

It’s petrol. Hmm. Will take it in and see what they say...

HarryR

Post by HarryR » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:14 pm

This might offer a clue:

https://m.carsdirect.com/car-maintenance/car-exhaust-smell-understanding-where-the-problem-lies

J77

Post by J77 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:16 pm

The petrols have GPFs but I don’t know if they regen/smell like a diesel?
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 18MY R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White

2020 Defender on order

SpokenHands

Post by SpokenHands » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:33 pm

You have probably got an external AC vent or drain blocked (with falling leaves or some other debris).
This allows a build up of bacteria and fungus/mould in the inner air conditioning tubing and vents and produces the foul smell at start (and as it gets worse a damp, sulphurous smell)

This also occurs if you have the car air conditioning on re-circulation mode all times, occasionally after a poor winter, or if the AC has not been used at all for long periods.

There are several antibacterial, anti-fungal sprays available that you release in the car (with the engine on and AC on recirculate mode at full blast, you wait outside the car until its finished) which effectively clears the fungus/mould/bacteria in 15 minutes - you will see noticeable results within hours if not immediately.

Most likely it is leaves blocking the vent that has caused this
2018 Mercedes AMG GT-C Roadster
2018 Range Rover Velar First Edition D300 HSE

tspdavey

Post by tspdavey » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:45 pm

SpokenHands wrote:You have probably got an external AC vent or drain blocked (with falling leaves or some other debris).
This allows a build up of bacteria and fungus/mould in the inner air conditioning tubing and vents and produces the foul smell at start (and as it gets worse a damp, sulphurous smell)

This also occurs if you have the car air conditioning on re-circulation mode all times, occasionally after a poor winter, or if the AC has not been used at all for long periods.

There are several antibacterial, anti-fungal sprays available that you release in the car (with the engine on and AC on recirculate mode at full blast, you wait outside the car until its finished) which effectively clears the fungus/mould/bacteria in 15 minutes - you will see noticeable results within hours if not immediately.

Most likely it is leaves blocking the vent that has caused this
Thanks. Will try this