Range Rover Velar Forum banner

New Velar

6K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  CP012 
#1 ·
Hi All,

New to the forum. Took collection of my D300 R Dynamic HSE yesterday and have a question for you about sat nav and DAB. I have no DAB source option in my media. I have access to all the settings for it so it's turned on and setup but I can't select it. All I have is FM and my iPhone & iPod. Anyone had a similar problem? Also, linked my incontrol nav account to the car but it's not opening up any maps. When I go in to settings it says they're installed and there are no updates available. I've checked the version number it says is installed and it's the latest one from the website. Map version 8.30.100.153

#2 ·
Welcome to the club! Don't forget to post some pics of your new toy!

DAB wise I can't help, but for the InControl piece have you installed and switched on the mobile data in the settings in the car? Wasn't sure if you meant you'd signed in on the app or the car? You need to do both.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Yeah the sim is activated and mobile data is turned on. My incontrol nav account is linked to the navigation menu but there's no maps appear. When I request route home I get a message saying that the required map isn't available but the updates say that everything's installed. Very strange

#4 ·
Interestingly and maybe related, I tried to update to the latest map version today and now I have no maps 'tells me to insert a USB to install them' yet in the Nav settings it tells me that version 8.30.100.153 are installed. Could be a map bug?

Will re-download and try again tomorrow.

#5 ·
That sounds like the same thing I had. When I first drive off I entered my home address and had the message no maps installed enter usb. But then it says that everything is installed! I tried to download them yesterday but my usb stick isn't large enough as it's about 29GB worth of mapping. I'll contact the dealer and ask if I can get it back in to have the maps installed and see if they can sort out the DAB issue as well whilst it's in. Very strange though!

#8 ·
Just a quick one as I may have totally misunderstood here, have you pressed the "Band" button? It should say say AM, FM or DAB?

#9 ·
CP012 said:
Did you try an install today in the end?
Yes. All fine again after re-downloading the map. Took ages to copy to the car though so I assume the whole map was replaced not just the parts required. Usually takes about 20 mins. Took nearly an hour this time.

Maybe it got corrupted on download or maybe JLR have updated it since I grabbed it as it had issues? Who knows? At least its all back and working again.

Worth investing in a good 64GB USB3 stick so you can update yourself.

#10 ·
Simon - why do you need a USB stick to update maps? Does the vehicle not update on 4G? I have a new Velar arriving tomorrow to replace my wonderful Audi A5 which I have enjoyed for 3 years. The cartography on the A5 and on my Mercedes C250 before that updated on 4G so I will be most upset if the Velar cant manage a simple task like updating the maps.

#12 ·
NISHSO said:
CP012 said:
Hi All,

New to the forum. Took collection of my D300 R Dynamic HSE yesterday and have a question for you about sat nav and DAB. I have no DAB source option in my media. I have access to all the settings for it so it's turned on and setup but I can't select it. All I have is FM and my iPhone & iPod. Anyone had a similar problem? Also, linked my incontrol nav account to the car but it's not opening up any maps. When I go in to settings it says they're installed and there are no updates available. I've checked the version number it says is installed and it's the latest one from the website. Map version 8.30.100.153
Just a quick one as I may have totally misunderstood here, have you pressed the "Band" button? It should say say AM, FM or DAB?
No I haven't actually. I'll give it a try when I get in and see if it works. Thanks for the tip!

#13 ·
CHINDIT said:
Simon - why do you need a USB stick to update maps? Does the vehicle not update on 4G? I have a new Velar arriving tomorrow to replace my wonderful Audi A5 which I have enjoyed for 3 years. The cartography on the A5 and on my Mercedes C250 before that updated on 4G so I will be most upset if the Velar cant manage a simple task like updating the maps.
I believe that it can do software updates over 4G but the standard sim only has 500mb of data per month which is pityful and the map downloads we're talking about is in the region of 29Gb. So quite a big file. Much easier to download it over the home Wi-fi to a usb stick and then take it to the car

#14 ·
CP012 said:
CHINDIT said:
I believe that it can do software updates over 4G but the standard sim only has 500mb of data per month which is pityful and the map downloads we're talking about is in the region of 29Gb. So quite a big file. Much easier to download it over the home Wi-fi to a usb stick and then take it to the car
You can connect to home WiFi or your phone hotspot if the download size was the issue
But that is not the issue, the only way to update the maps is through USB, there is no mechanism to do it any other way

#15 ·
Hi, you need a 64GB USB3 stick to download the map updates from the InControl Route Planner website. They are not incremental updates but 25'ish GB's of updated mapping, POI's, speed camera database and voice recognition files that you grab each time !!

Sorry, no 4G updates at all. This maybe a Here thing as LR use Here mapping (was a Nokia company).

#16 ·
CP012 said:
NISHSO said:
CP012 said:
Hi All,

Did it work?

No I haven't actually. I'll give it a try when I get in and see if it works. Thanks for the tip!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.