Funny noise from steering...?

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
kangaman

Funny noise from steering...?

Post by kangaman » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:49 pm

G'day All,

Now the wife & I have noticed a noise coming from the steering at low speed & especially when moving on the drive & when stationary...it's like a electric motor humming sound...has anyone else had this issue please? - I did a quick search of the site but found nothing....

It's just over 5 weeks(800 miles) old & I'm overall very happy with the Velar, brought my bits to make it more my style :)

I still think its a bit jerky in comfort mode - wish they had something in between the comfort & sport, as sport is just too looney for me! :lol: unless your coming up for an overtake that is...also i was a little shocked that the gearshift paddles don't work unless in sport mode...I used to use them to slow my GLC down which was helpful at times...

Anyways many thanks if anyone can help on my question... :D
(69) D300 HSE / R Dynamic Black Pack / Eiger Grey with black contrast roof & black gloss 9007 22" Alloys / Fixed Pano roof / Priv Glass / 360 camera / Heated Steering Wheel & the normal HSE goodies!

MikeJL

Re: Funny noise from steering...?

Post by MikeJL » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:00 pm

Yalu can enable the paddles in the dash menus.
Can’t help with the noise.
D240 HSE 18MY. Firenze Red, Eclipse Interior, Panoramic Roof, Air Suspension
20 way electric seats with 14 way memory :-(
Software Version: 19B 19.4.4 436082

Haybrd

Post by Haybrd » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:23 pm

I don’t know if it’s the same noise but I hear a electrical type hum when stationary and just after I switch the engine off. I’ve just assumed it was cooling fan noises or similar.
MY20 D240 R-Dynamic SE, Santorini Black, 14 way heated, memory seats, Heated/power recline rear, 20” 7 spike gloss black wheels, Electrically deployable towbar, Fixed panoramic roof, Rear seat release , Power pack 2

geniusloci

Post by geniusloci » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:55 pm

kangaman wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:49 pm
...also i was a little shocked that the gearshift paddles don't work unless in sport mode...I used to use them to slow my GLC down which was helpful at times...
Check the dash menus, mine always work. Takes them some time to return to D, but still great if you want instant power.
ImageFirst Edition D300 HSE in Silver Flux Matte, Cete Automotive Active Sound, Pirelli Scorpion All Season tyres

SpokenHands

Post by SpokenHands » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:51 pm

A humming sound coming on at slow speed, or on your driveway, could well be the electrically assisted steering - and any servo motor working to provide power steering. But it is hard to say for sure it is that specifically as it could well be another motor - and this may well be within its normal range.

You are able to configure the elements of the Comfort package i think, its one of the interactive menus on the left hand side border of the lower screen - is this called Configurable Dynamics? It may be a specified option though
2018 D300 Range Rover Velar First Edition
2018 AMG GT-C Coupe
2013 BMW 6-Series Gran Coupe

RichWilkie

Post by RichWilkie » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:34 am

Paddles can be set via the menu to work in all modes. If you hold down the right hand paddle for a few seconds, the gearbox reverts to automatic (D)

kangaman

Post by kangaman » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:07 pm

Thanks on all accounts! - thought the paddle thing was strange :lol:
(69) D300 HSE / R Dynamic Black Pack / Eiger Grey with black contrast roof & black gloss 9007 22" Alloys / Fixed Pano roof / Priv Glass / 360 camera / Heated Steering Wheel & the normal HSE goodies!

kangaman

Post by kangaman » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:19 pm

RichWilkie wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:34 am
Paddles can be set via the menu to work in all modes. If you hold down the right hand paddle for a few seconds, the gearbox reverts to automatic (D)
Ok - I've had a look but cant see how to 'set up' paddles to work in drive - anyone point me the right way please... :?: - many thanks

NISHSO

Post by NISHSO » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:55 pm

From the manual.....
Steering wheel paddle shifts: Allow manual gear selection, while the selector is in either the D or S position. Lightly pull the left-side paddle-shift for down-shifts or the right-side paddle shift for up-shifts.

NOTES
The paddle shifts can be configured to be active in both D and S, or active in S only. Use the Vehicle settings instrument panel menu. See INSTRUMENT PANEL MENU.
R Dynamic HSE 275 in Fuji White with Ebony Perforated Windsor Extended Leather-Drivers Assist Pack, Black Pack, HUD, Pan Roof, Privacy Glass, Heated Steering Wheel
Previous cars:-
Jaguar F-Pace, Jaguar F-Type, Audi A7, Audi A5, BMW 5 Series, Jaguar S Type

kangaman

Post by kangaman » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:52 pm

OK...so had a play with the dash today - my apologies - I never knew there was the menu from steering wheel, I assumed it only work the stereo
etc...lol :lol: I was try to do all setting from the 2nd screen! - all sorted with paddles also added the self lowering on exit... :)

Return to “Main Range Rover Velar chat”