Matrix LED headlights

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
cianelectric

Matrix LED headlights

Post by cianelectric » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:09 pm

Hi all, I have matrix LED headlights and high beam assist. When driving at night I seem to get flashed a lot by drivers on the other side of the road - maybe 5 times on a two hour drive. Have others had this?

The high beam assist seems to react on time but it’s like other drivers think my low beams are my high beams. Thanks
D240 SE Corris / Acorn Leather with lots of options (including extended leather, aluminium door trim, sliding roof, air suspension, electric tow bar, activity key)
Thinkware dashcam front and rear

Haybrd

Re: Matrix LED headlights

Post by Haybrd » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:37 pm

Do you have them set to adaptive or just high beam assist? Mine are set to adaptive and I love them and not had an issue. I think part of the problem is the lights are so good (and bright) other road users think they are set high.

I’ve heard a couple of reports similar to yours though so check what you have them set to. Also check the driving side is set correctly.
MY20 D240 R-Dynamic SE, Santorini Black, 14 way heated, memory seats, Heated/power recline rear, 20” 7 spike gloss black wheels, Electrically deployable towbar, Fixed panoramic roof, Rear seat release , Power pack 2

markah

Post by markah » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:03 am

I had exactly the same problem as the OP. It was even worse when driving in France, even though they setup automatically for driving on the right by GPS.
The solution - dealer adjusted the lights down. Problem resolved. I think it was a physical adjustment of the headlight units rather than software.
'18 D300 RDS, Corris, Black pack, Glossy 21" black rims, Black & pan roof.

Milky400

Post by Milky400 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:06 am

As above, loving the adaptive and not been flashed yet. On the previous Velar, I didn’t have adaptive and got flashed a lot with auto high beam so never had it on.
D275 R-Dynamic HSE, Firenze Red, Heated Steering Wheel (a must after missing it out on the old car) Dynamic Pack, Black Roof, Privacy Glass.

Previous R-Dynamic D180 S with a few extras successfully rejected

cianelectric

Post by cianelectric » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:27 pm

markah wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:03 am
I had exactly the same problem as the OP. It was even worse when driving in France, even though they setup automatically for driving on the right by GPS.
The solution - dealer adjusted the lights down. Problem resolved. I think it was a physical adjustment of the headlight units rather than software.
Thanks all, I do wonder if mine need physical adjustment... it’s not that scientific, but these are my low beams and then seem a little high?!

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

D240 SE Corris / Acorn Leather with lots of options (including extended leather, aluminium door trim, sliding roof, air suspension, electric tow bar, activity key)

cianelectric

Post by cianelectric » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:28 pm

They are set to "drive on left" and "adaptive driving beam" by the way!

SpokenHands

"Laser" : Matrix LED headlights

Post by SpokenHands » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:12 pm

One day, I am going to find out what does "Laser" lights actually do?!!!

They came specified on my car from new, not sure I would have specified them personally given the Matrix LEDs are so good.
On a dark, clear stretch of road, they do light up for a long distance but presume the matrix LEDs with Auto assist do the same ?
2018 Mercedes AMG GT-C Roadster
2018 Range Rover Velar First Edition D300 HSE

Haybrd

Re: "Laser" : Matrix LED headlights

Post by Haybrd » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:25 pm

SpokenHands wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:12 pm
One day, I am going to find out what does "Laser" lights actually do?!!!

They came specified on my car from new, not sure I would have specified them personally given the Matrix LEDs are so good.
On a dark, clear stretch of road, they do light up for a long distance but presume the matrix LEDs with Auto assist do the same ?
The laser LEDs light up a longer distance (>500m) than the normal matrix LED (>300m).
MY20 D240 R-Dynamic SE, Santorini Black, 14 way heated, memory seats, Heated/power recline rear, 20” 7 spike gloss black wheels, Electrically deployable towbar, Fixed panoramic roof, Rear seat release , Power pack 2