SVA wrong build = wrong fuel tank

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
Pollo de muerte

Re: SVA wrong build = wrong fuel tank

Post by Pollo de muerte » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:37 pm

Specter92 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:38 pm
I have been always confused about the car's estimated range. Sometimes I have about Quarter and half tank fuel and range showing only 50-60 miles. I have always refilled the tank at that point, but I am pretty sure there is software mistake.
For many cars, the range estimator is based on an average of the last 20 miles or so. It can vary a fair amount.
2019 Range Rover Velar HSE P380 ("Posh")
2019 Jaguar I Pace HSE FE ("Greebo")

TeddyM

Post by TeddyM » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:43 pm

today 68 liters with 23km to go and waring just went on - still do not trust my car

tyrrellnick

Post by tyrrellnick » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:16 am

TeddyM wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:47 pm
I think My SVA shows the residual fuel range up to the moment of the warning light to go on. Having a range of about 24 km i can put about 65 litres in the tank and the warning ist still of. So i should have still 17 litres in the tank i could go for about 120 km more before refill (mean usage about 13.5 l/100 km. But i do not trust the car :-)
Hey Teddy, I have a 19.5 SVA and I have been wondering why with a full tank of fuel and averaging around 11L/100km the maximum KMs range the car trip computer ever shows is about 550-600km. I think it's incorrect distance-to-empty calibration rather than an incorrect fuel tank fitted. My guess is they haven't recalibrated the computer to know that the car has a 82L tank instead of the old size.

For what it's worth. PS. You're going to love my latest post about the noises in the trunk etc!
19.5 Indus Silver SVAutobiography. Previously D300 HSE R-Dynamic. Australia.

TeddyM

Post by TeddyM » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:19 am

tyrrellnick wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:16 am
TeddyM wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:47 pm
I think My SVA shows the residual fuel range up to the moment of the warning light to go on. Having a range of about 24 km i can put about 65 litres in the tank and the warning ist still of. So i should have still 17 litres in the tank i could go for about 120 km more before refill (mean usage about 13.5 l/100 km. But i do not trust the car :-)
Hey Teddy, I have a 19.5 SVA and I have been wondering why with a full tank of fuel and averaging around 11L/100km the maximum KMs range the car trip computer ever shows is about 550-600km. I think it's incorrect distance-to-empty calibration rather than an incorrect fuel tank fitted. My guess is they haven't recalibrated the computer to know that the car has a 82L tank instead of the old size.

For what it's worth. PS. You're going to love my latest post about the noises in the trunk etc!
i also think that this is the problem , thx

TeddyM

Post by TeddyM » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:49 pm

i got a new software for the dashboard and calibration for my velar - got 100 km more range on the same level of fuel inside the tank.

tilak.kotecha

Post by tilak.kotecha » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:32 pm

This is the most redic feedback from JLR, please see below how they are trying to justify this. as and FYI, Im getting 19mpg and full tabk range is 204miles.

he 83 litres is from a dry fill when the fuel tank is completely empty. The 83 litres is not from Low Fuel Warning or Instrument cluster gauge/ range reading zero

Empty reserve on that calibration is 5.5L

With the distance of 40 miles shown in the Instrument Cluster, the tank size of 83L the customer added 60L and 5.5L reserved – calculation 85 – 60 – 5.5 = 17.5 litres

17.5 litres over 40 miles = 2.285 miles per litre = 10.3 miles per gallon

The remaining 40 miles displayed is calculated by how the vehicle has previously been driven, not the tank level. When the range was showing 40 miles there was a lot more

Fuel in the tank than a couple of litres. This is why only 60 litres of fuel could be added.

They above was what JLR are trying to confirm as why there is an issue with my car.
Sold: Urban P380 Satin Grey

tilak.kotecha

Post by tilak.kotecha » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:33 pm

Does anyone know of any independent company that can confirm or check the full tank capacity.

ideally within the London orbital (m25).

Happy to pay to confirm this as I can then show this report.

I only have till next week now to prove JLR are taking me for a ride.

thanks

Tilak
Sold: Urban P380 Satin Grey

JonnyVTEC

Post by JonnyVTEC » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:36 pm

Looking back on my road trip all the most i ever got into my D240 was 54.99L at 0 range and driven beyond so there is always going to be somewhat of a amount of fuel in the tank meaning you won’t get it empty enough for the full volume.

I think the SVA is 82L rather than 83.

Pollo de muerte

Post by Pollo de muerte » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:13 am

Pollo de muerte wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:37 pm
Specter92 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:38 pm
I have been always confused about the car's estimated range. Sometimes I have about Quarter and half tank fuel and range showing only 50-60 miles. I have always refilled the tank at that point, but I am pretty sure there is software mistake.
For many cars, the range estimator is based on an average of the last 20 miles or so. It can vary a fair amount.
So apparently our Velar isn't very diligent about updating the range estimate. We just returned from a 1,000 mile road trip and the estimate never changed to reflected the higher highway mileage. I made a quick calculation on the last fill up and based on the distance to our destination and range estimate, we should have had 90 miles left in the tank on arrival. We actually had almost half a tank and the estimate was 150 miles (which was still too low as we had driven 266 miles since the fill up and probably could have gone almost that far again based on the fuel gauge).

This was after driving several hundred miles on the highway so there was ample opportunity for the car to adjust its estimate.

At this point, we're treating the range estimate is a very conservative worst case scenario, which isn't worthless, but a dynamic estimate would be more useful.
2019 Range Rover Velar HSE P380 ("Posh")
2019 Jaguar I Pace HSE FE ("Greebo")

ChrisL

Post by ChrisL » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:29 am

On my D240 JLR say I have 60L usable fuel capacity.
I just filled to the pump auto cut off from the gauge reading of just over 1/4 remaining ( I hate running on the dregs) expecting around 45L or just under and added 43.5L so very close. At that point the range was showing 114 miles remaining (from the 16.5L remaining) so equal to 31.4 mpg Imperial. Total range shown when full was 414miles.
When doing a long (forUK) motorway run of 200 miles each way I know I can have a range of about 100 miles left as on those runs 40+mpg is easily achieved. The range usually calculated after that run is around 80 miles remaining so a little conservative perhaps. That demonstrates the calculation is dynamic based on recent historic consumption.

My conclusion is, on my vehicle, the gauge is accurate enough and the calculated range is near enough.

I wonder if the higher consumption of fuel in these petrol engines is the cause of the inaccuracies seen, the system appears accurate enough in the 30-40 mpg range but perhaps has less accuracy in the 10-20 range, outside its calibrated working range?
Perhaps the increased range noted above on a software update was not the tank volume being adjusted but the calibration point of the system being re-set for that expected consumption range?