Range Rover Velar Forum banner

Apply Carplay - Can it be upgraded?

21K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  Simonh 
#1 ·
I'm looking to buy a Velar, in Switzerland from a grey importer (imports new cars to Switzerland from Europe at a discount to local prices). It's brand new P300 R-Dynamic S model. It's the right price for me, however the dealer says it doesn't have Apple Carplay and that there's no way for it to be upgraded.

This seems surely impossible in this day and age of software upgrades.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

#2 ·
From some of the posts on here it depends where it's being imported from I'd think. (Have a search on here and see some of the users locations).

If it's brand new and from a country that allows ACP then if it doesn't have the smartphone pack you can use the software over the air (SOTA) to install version 19C (if not already installed) and that has ACP for free.

If the car is from a country that does allow ACP then I guess you'd be bound to those rules and even with the new software it won't have ACP.

#3 ·
If you ask what country it's originating from, we can give you a better idea. Some markets do not have the necessary hardware it seems, despite that being a bit perplexing in this day and age. Others will chime in I'm sure.

#4 ·
I've had my Velar for almost 2 years now. When I bought it I was made sure by the sales rep that an update would come out within the next 3-4 months that will add ACP/AA.

I kept calling every few months only to be told to wait a little longer. Finally, not so long ago, they told me it simply won't be possible because with my model (no SIM card slot, no wifi) and in this region - there's just nothing they can do. The update can only be done for newer cars that have wifi and InControl apps... They said they were sorry but that it wasn't their fault.

Today I got a call and apparently with the latest update (supposed to have come out in the past few days) all Velars get to have ACP/AA added. Disregarding any smartphone packs or InControl apps. I'm scheduled to bring the car in to have the update installed next week but just thought I'd ask everyone here so I don't drive 50 miles there and back and waste half a day for nothing.

Anyone?

#5 ·
They told me the same, but since the 19B software update the car connects to wifi, and possibly could uodate the system OTA. I say possibly because it never found an update since then. I know 19C is out there, please keep us dreamers updated if you had success.

#7 ·
liben96 said:
I have 19C and no apple car. Im in the same situation (no sim card slot, no incontrol apps). My last update from 19B to 19C was done using wifi at the dealer...
Im also waiting for apple car :(
So I called and asked for the specific build of the new firmware update. S19c_19.46.4-458817

I'm told they've updated some six RR cars so far and they all got Apple CP after the update. What's your build?

#8 ·
cazy said:
liben96 said:
I have 19C and no apple car. Im in the same situation (no sim card slot, no incontrol apps). My last update from 19B to 19C was done using wifi at the dealer...
Im also waiting for apple car :(
So I called and asked for the specific build of the new firmware update. S19c_19.46.4-458817

I'm told they've updated some six RR cars so far and they all got Apple CP after the update. What's your build?
I will confirm later. Where are you based?

#10 ·
liben96 said:
Slovakia... My problem is that the car was built back in December 2017, no SIM card slot, no HDMI and no InControl apps so while other newer cars around here get ACP with the new update, I'm a little skeptical about mine. Scheduled to take it in this Wednesday so we'll see.

#11 ·
cazy said:
liben96 said:
Slovakia... My problem is that the car was built back in December 2017, no SIM card slot, no HDMI and no InControl apps so while other newer cars around here get ACP with the new update, I'm a little skeptical about mine. Scheduled to take it in this Wednesday so we'll see.
Mine too. No SIM card slot, no HDM and no InControl apps. I dont think they need that to enable apple car. It is a matter of marketing and different markets....
Sooner or later, I hope they enable it.

#12 ·
Alrighty, a little update guys... So I'm on 19C_19.46.4-458817 now but no ACP or AA. :(

The system is noticeably faster than 19A though - and I love being able to use voice commands again (I could use them before but it took some 3-4 seconds to come on after pressing the "speak" button and then another few seconds of waiting to see if the car understood the command)...

Also, I know now that the car actually has wifi (which I suppose either hasn't been active or just made available before today). So, all in all, not a complete waste of my time but still no ACP... Searching for SW updates OTA says I'm on the latest build. :/

#15 ·
kmkm said:
Hey @cazy,
apparently I have exactly the same issue. No AA/ACP on a trim without sim card slot and without InControl Apps on 19C firmware. Did you manage to get it resolved?
Nope...

Did a quick check yesterday to see if the 20A was available to download but it said I was up to date. I'm scheduled to go for my 2y service checkup tomorrow morning so will fish for more news, the guys there are usually quite chatty...

#17 ·
kmkm said:
ďakujem :). I am wondering if presence of incontrol apps is not a prerequisite for AA. I don't see any obvious technical reason behind that but who knows... I will try to get some update from JLR on that as well.
InControl Apps was a prerequisite previously as they were dropping support for it so 'replaced' it with ACP and AA (Smartphone Pack). Now it should available for all as I understand it.

#18 ·
kmkm said:
ďakujem :). I am wondering if presence of incontrol apps is not a prerequisite for AA. I don't see any obvious technical reason behind that but who knows... I will try to get some update from JLR on that as well.
No real news, I'm afraid. I did ask about the now pulled 20A to see what changes that's supposed to bring but no one seems to know anything. Supposedly there's a rumor of some near-future mass recall that has to do with SW, but again, no specifics...

#19 ·
Simonh said:
kmkm said:
InControl Apps was a prerequisite previously as they were dropping support for it so 'replaced' it with ACP and AA (Smartphone Pack). Now it should available for all as I understand it.
I guess this only involves some of the early cars built for the "less important" markets. I see Slovakia, Poland; judging by other threads they have this issue in Bulgaria and Spain... My Velar was delivered back in December 2017. The car never came with InControl Apps so perhaps some extra step is necessary to enable ACP and AA? I'm thinking it must be a SW issue, possibly some option that needs to be enabled for the exact build of my car? All updates run just fine but in two years I've had no proper response from either the dealer or JLR. What a joke. From what I hear, most of the RR cars that have been sold in this region in the past two years now have ACP/AA after the 19C update, I'm just one of the very few that don't...

#21 ·
cazy said:
From what I hear, most of the RR cars that have been sold in this region in the past two years now have ACP/AA after the 19C update, I'm just one of the very few that don't...
Thats crazy, it will only be software, can't imagine they have different builds of the IMS hardware.

#22 ·
#23 ·
Yes this has been discussed before (thanks for the additional info tho) , but the presence of a SIM slot to enable the SmartPhone Pack makes no sense as it's not used by ACP or AA. The software that runs on the IMS could be updated to negate the need for this if JLR chose to do so. JLR themselves could update the CCF file to enable it.

#24 ·
@kmkm Yes, I've seen this and I do have the UIP LOW_LINE in my car but this goes back to some year ago when ACP/AA were being added via this so-called 'Smartphone Pack'. Since 19C, my understanding is that all cars now should have that enabled. I agree with Simonh but somehow the reality doesn't show that...

#25 ·
Update after visiting a dealer today:
"For car trim without sim card slot or HDMI port near USB ports, InControl Apps / CarPlay / AndroidAuto cannot be enabled. Also, dealers do not offer possibility to retrofit required hardware."

I am disappointed. Looks like I have to keep waiting if any of the future updates will change this approach, assuming no real hardware obstacles.
If any of you succeeds in having AA/ACP enabled in a similar trim, please update.

#26 ·
kmkm said:
Update after visiting a dealer today:
"For car trim without sim card slot or HDMI port near USB ports, InControl Apps / CarPlay / AndroidAuto cannot be enabled. Also, dealers do not offer possibility to retrofit required hardware."

I am disappointed. Looks like I have to keep waiting if any of the future updates will change this approach, assuming no real hardware obstacles.
If any of you succeeds in having AA/ACP enabled in a similar trip, please update.
Sorry to hear that. I have exactly the same problem.
I thought the last version would added it. But it didn't. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.