Why we all drive Velars

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
Arianne

Why we all drive Velars

Post by Arianne » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:32 pm

Another feel good thread :D

(And why not, traffic on the faults side of this site has fallen silent. Must be a good sign?)

Just returning from an overnight business trip from the big, open spaces of the Scottish Borders to London, via LNER. Those new Azuma trains are pretty nice in first-class. My crockery doesn’t choose to jump up in the air when another train passes in the opposite direction. And it’s possible to drink from a glass without drenching oneself while passing over the points. Government owned LNER make fewer promises than their predecessors Virgin, but deliver on them. Virgin promised the Earth with a Communication and Marketing team in overdrive but failed miserably. There’s a lesson in there somewhere. Do fewer things but do them really well.

Anyway...... Velars!

1. I spotted the rear light cluster of a Velar in the wilderness of the Scottish Highlands on Top Gear (Sunday, 2 February on BBC2). Looked a bit out of place alongside the Discovery but hey, Velars can rock off road too. Those of us that have done the Land Rover experience know that.

2. First car I saw as I crossed the lights on Borough High Street in London, after emerging from the Northern Line underground was...... a hideous Bentley Bentayga. Next car? Velar. White, of course. It’s London so it’ll never see mud and cow pats!

3. My train arrives in Berwick upon Tweed in just ten minutes. The train is quiet and, when I get off and it pulls out, I will be a million miles away from the noise and hubbub of London. Peace. And..... a Range Rover Velar 3.0 V6 will be waiting for me with Mrs A. Being the wonderful woman that she is, Mrs A will hand me the keys and I will pop Holly into dynamic mode and head off into the blackness of Berwickshire for the Central Borders. An hour or so later, renegade deer permitting, we will arrive home.

If a car’s worth is measured by the Joy one has of seeing her after a long couple of days away on business...... I say well done JLR!

Best wishes to all. Arianne
D300 R-dynamic with lots of optional toys. Corris Grey, sunroof, activity bracelet, configurable lighting, 825w Meridian sound, heated everything, configurable dynamics, full leather pack, summer / winter tyres & the important cup holder cover!

Pollo de muerte

Re: Why we all drive Velars

Post by Pollo de muerte » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:14 pm

My wife is still in love with her Velar.

Yesterday she drove about 75 miles each way to help her mother with some design decisions for her new house. I'm still assessing the engine software remapping, so I checked inControl last night and noticed that she got pretty good mileage on the outbound leg, but it dropped to 21 MP(US)G on the return. Then I looked at her average speed and asked (rhetorically): "So, was traffic moving well on the turnpike for the drive home?" She flashed a devilish grin for only an instant and then assumed an affect of equal parts innocence and boredom noting that "Posh* needed to stretch her legs a bit."

She has gotten entirely too comfortable relying on Waze police warnings.

*This name is only sort of ironic.
2019 Velar HSE P380
1973 VW Thing (Type 181/Safari/Trekker)
2017 Chevy Volt

TeddyM

Post by TeddyM » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:51 pm

i have a love and hate relationship with my Velar

Simonh

Post by Simonh » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:56 pm

Love the shape. Comfy. Fast. Big boot too for the pooch to luxuriate in.

Not a fan of not being able to see down the sides and the long bonnet when parking / negotiating tight spaces.
Velar HSE D240 - MY19
Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 20 years of amazing customer service.

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:21 pm

Good thoughts folks, including our cousin from the US and friend in Deutschland. All true!

Journey was lovely. Choices though! Do I chat with Mrs A, or listen to those high-def flac music tracks or..... just focus on the empty road and a blast with Holly (Posh on the Turnpike style)? So difficult as I love all three options.

In the end, Mrs A and I chatted all the way home. Holly was in dynamic mode but it was really just the suspension that had a chance to shine on the twisty roads as I didn’t end up using the engine or gearbox to any great extent.

And Bambi & friends survived for another night!

Goodnight folk (or good afternoon for The States). Arianne
D300 R-dynamic with lots of optional toys. Corris Grey, sunroof, activity bracelet, configurable lighting, 825w Meridian sound, heated everything, configurable dynamics, full leather pack, summer / winter tyres & the important cup holder cover!

Haybrd

Post by Haybrd » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:35 am

I can’t agree more Arianne! I literally look for excuses to drive my Velar more (not great for the environment I know).

I smile every time I see one, wave/acknowledge each one I pass on the road (I’ve never had anyone respond so if you see a Santorini 69 plate Black Velar on your journeys with a halfwit waving at you please give a little wave back. It would make my day.

I long for the cold weather so I can pre-heat the car, drive on roads others can’t and do it in comfort and beauty.
MY20 D240 R-Dynamic SE, Santorini Black, 14 way heated, memory seats, Heated/power recline rear, 20” 7 spike gloss black wheels, Electrically deployable towbar, Fixed panoramic roof, Rear seat release , Power pack 2

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:34 am

Haybrd wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:35 am
I can’t agree more Arianne! I literally look for excuses to drive my Velar more (not great for the environment I know).

I smile every time I see one, wave/acknowledge each one I pass on the road (I’ve never had anyone respond so if you see a Santorini 69 plate Black Velar on your journeys with a halfwit waving at you please give a little wave back. It would make my day.

I long for the cold weather so I can pre-heat the car, drive on roads others can’t and do it in comfort and beauty.
Will do Haybrd. Recognising the car, its plate and the waving is straightforward enough. Spotting the halfwit can take a bit longer - any tips for instant recognition of halfwits?

Shame about acknowledging each other. Alfa drivers used to do it when they were less common on UK roads. I still believe a fellow Velar driver would let me in to a queue of traffic if I pulled up alongside them. Don’t burst my bubble people!

Whatever, enjoy. I know what you mean about the pre-heating. It’s a party trick really - feels good on start-up from the phone, a glance out the window and that great feeling as you climb in. Years of life experience tells you that you should be frozen on entry but no, it’s pleasantly warm.

I look forward to some cold weather just to double check that my dealer did indeed find the solution to the cold-morning start-up issue! It’s been ridiculously mild here in Scotland this winter.

Have a nice day, Arianne.

MarcusGVA

Post by MarcusGVA » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:49 am

It's funny how we tend to romanticize our relationship with our Velars ... I'm certainly guilty of it myself. Of the cars that we've owned so far (Alfa, BMW, Land Rover, Jaguar, Volvo, Range Rover), only two of these I felt a real emotional attachment to: the XF 3.0d V6 and our current Velar (although we did have a soft spot for the Freelander 2). :)

While I miss the V6 of the Jag - we decided on a P250 SE with additional trims - the Velar has not disappointed after the first 7000km. We haven't had any of the electronic mishaps people keep referring to; the entertainment and navsat systems operate without a hitch and are intuitive enough once you set them up properly and after the initial learning curve; the regular suspension is more than acceptable, even on our 21" summer tires (20" for the winter); the engine performs fine most of the time, particularly given the fact that its 250 hp and 4 cylinders need to handle a 2 ton SUV; and the looks ... well, what can I say!

We've had the Velar since October and I still look back EVERY time I park it in front of our house or at work. More often than not, I stop and stare at it for a moment, which no doubt is beginning to raise some questions among our neighbors :D ... I just love the lines and look!

Arianne has commented in detail on the Meridan 825W system, and I fully agree that with the right tweaking and - most important - high res audio inputs this system can and will shine! Tidal works a charm via ACP and will deliver very decent audio. Directly feeding HD music files really does make even more of a difference. Instead, of the default Meridian configuration, I have set it to Dolby DTS, but with similar treble, bass and sub setting as Arianne. Moving the sweet spot a little to the rear of the centre of the cabin, and you have a very nice system to play with!

Our Velar's configuration was not a personalized one, as we chose it from the batch of Velars which were on their way to the dealers in and around Geneva. Main reason for going this route is that we had an opportunity to get rid of our 2016 Volvo XC90 (too many teething problems and frustrations) for a good price, and didn't want to be stuck for months with our beloved but small Countryman All4 S as the main family car. Ultimately, we choose the P250 SE in Santorini Black, with the Premium Exterior Pack, pano sunroof, 21" wheels Style 5047, privacy glass, black interior including roof liner, etc. For a while was in doubt as to whether we should go for a Velar with the Dynamic and black trim, but didn't like the color combinations and liked the clean front of the non-dynamic with clear grill on Santorini Black. Got delivered and ready for pick 10 days after signing the papers ... car capacity problem solved and happy as a loon!

We put 20" wheels on for the Swiss winter .... but .... no winter :lol: .... but we took it out in fresh snow in the mountains close to where we live and the Velar performed admirably ... felt safe and secure in the right terrain response mode. Deep snow a piece of cake!

Ok, will stop my ramblings now ... in short, love the Velar!

IMG_0365.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

RR Velar P250 SE, premium exterior pack, Santorini Black, pano retractable sun roof, 21” wheels, privacy glass, and more of that jazz ...

Haybrd

Post by Haybrd » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:07 pm

Love those pics MarcusGVA!
MY20 D240 R-Dynamic SE, Santorini Black, 14 way heated, memory seats, Heated/power recline rear, 20” 7 spike gloss black wheels, Electrically deployable towbar, Fixed panoramic roof, Rear seat release , Power pack 2

MarcusGVA

Post by MarcusGVA » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:25 pm

Haybrd wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:07 pm
Love those pics MarcusGVA!
Thanks! How do you like your Santorini Black color? I love how it sparkles in sunlight like lava sand ... :D
RR Velar P250 SE, premium exterior pack, Santorini Black, pano retractable sun roof, 21” wheels, privacy glass, and more of that jazz ...