Why we all drive Velars

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
Haybrd

Re: Why we all drive Velars

Post by Haybrd » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:34 pm

MarcusGVA wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:25 pm

Thanks! How do you like your Santorini Black color? I love how it sparkles in sunlight like lava sand ... :D
Well I actually said I’d never have a black car as they are uninspiring to me.... but then my local dealer lent me a Black Velar for a couple of days to test drive before I ordered (I was lined up to order Corris Grey). When I returned the loan car I parked it next to a Corris Grey and decided I love the Santorini black!

Like you I love the sparkles (especially when I’ve just cleaned it). The only thing that does annoy me a little is the narvik black pieces like the rear spoiler etc as they don’t look as nice but overall I love the look of the car.
MY20 D240 R-Dynamic SE, Santorini Black, 14 way heated, memory seats, Heated/power recline rear, 20” 7 spike gloss black wheels, Electrically deployable towbar, Fixed panoramic roof, Rear seat release , Power pack 2

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:11 pm

MarcusGVA wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:25 pm
Haybrd wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:07 pm
Love those pics MarcusGVA!
Thanks! How do you like your Santorini Black color? I love how it sparkles in sunlight like lava sand ... :D
MarcusGVA.......

We have a chalet above Torbel, near Zermatt for our Summer break. With you living in Switzerland, do you have any advice on my plan to use the Lotschberg Base Tunnel to travel through the mountains from Thun (where we are staying overnight enroute) as a shortcut to Visp? We’ve never done this before, fancy a change but noticed you guys have decided to add more twin-track sections this year (I think the cash ran out ten years ago and so it opened with mainly single track running). The website isn’t too clear about the disruption this may cause in July, although the work will take the whole year.

Is everyone avoiding it or is it viable to get from the Swiss Midlands to the Rhône Valley around Visp?

Thanks, Arianne
D300 R-dynamic with lots of optional toys. Corris Grey, sunroof, activity bracelet, configurable lighting, 825w Meridian sound, heated everything, configurable dynamics, full leather pack, summer / winter tyres & the important cup holder cover!

MarcusGVA

Post by MarcusGVA » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:04 pm

Hi Arianne, sorry to let you down on this one but I really wouldn’t know. I’ve been living in CH as an expat for over 20 yrs but never took any of these routes. From Geneva we basically enter the Valais at the end of the lake and go up to Zermatt via Visp.

If there are any Swiss on this forum, I hope they can help out!
RR Velar P250 SE, premium exterior pack, Santorini Black, pano retractable sun roof, 21” wheels, privacy glass, and more of that jazz ...

Dixyburger

Post by Dixyburger » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:06 pm

Why we all drive Velars...to be asked ‘is that the new Evoque you drive?’ [emoji2369]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markah

Post by markah » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:26 pm

I have taken a real dislike to them 'fake Velars'. :cry:
'18 D300 RDS, Corris, Black pack, Glossy 21" black rims, Black & pan roof.

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:05 pm

markah wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:26 pm
I have taken a real dislike to them 'fake Velars'. :cry:
Dixyburger wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:06 pm
Why we all drive Velars...to be asked ‘is that the new Evoque you drive?’ [emoji2369]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do we drive LWB Evoque’s or are they SWB Velar’s? Either way, the design language trend has been replicated. Inevitable really but does suggest that the Velar will stay fresh for a while yet.

I quite like the new Evoque and they have sold well in Edinburgh in quite a short period time. Like you, I do feel it’s diminished the exclusivity of the Velar look somewhat.

Arianne
D300 R-dynamic with lots of optional toys. Corris Grey, sunroof, activity bracelet, configurable lighting, 825w Meridian sound, heated everything, configurable dynamics, full leather pack, summer / winter tyres & the important cup holder cover!

HarryR

Why we all drive Velars

Post by HarryR » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:13 am

Not long after I got my Velar a new look Evoque also appeared in the car park at work which very nearly dented my ego’s belief that I was “the only Velar in the village” :lol:

Will the bigger Range Rovers adopt the new design language as well I wonder? This would further cloud the distinction adding to the diminishing exclusivity of the Velar’s look I reckon.

Vasil1972

Post by Vasil1972 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:07 pm

This is my 1st Land Rover and me, my and wife and 7 year old absolutely love it. I had 2 BMW's, an Infiniti, 2 Audi's (S4 and A6) and recently C43 AMG. Out of all the vehicles the Velar is the only one that puts a smile on my face when I look at it and when I drive it. The C43 comes close but the others could care less for. We opted for the SV Autobiography in Eiger Grey so the sound and the excessive HP are just incredible. The comfort, the fact I can actually fit my family including by 2 year old with his car seat and stroller is just awesome. It's the perfect size SUV and just looks stunning.

MarcusGVA

Post by MarcusGVA » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:07 am

The Velar still stands out and remains a sleeker beauty than the new Velar, I think ... the Evoque may have adopted the overall styling, but it's still a boxier, more compressed, version .. see the photo of the RR family.

RR family.jpg

RR Velar P250 SE, premium exterior pack, Santorini Black, pano retractable sun roof, 21” wheels, privacy glass, and more of that jazz ...

geniusloci

Post by geniusloci » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:19 am

We were waiting on the Serbian-Bulgatian border when we first saw a Velar. R-Dynamic in the brownish stone color. Love at first sight, it is hand-over-my-chest the best looking car I've seen in my life. Still is, at least best looking SUV. Then we saw pictures if the interior...

I can't remember how we decided to ask for offer. I was happy with our Mazda 6 wagon, but then we went to the dealership, they could't get us the V6 supercharged version, so it was either a lot more money for SVA, or D300. Month and a half later they found a fully specced D300 First Edition returned for exchange for RRS, and that settled it. I still wish we got SVA, but I like the R-Dynamic look better.
ImageFirst Edition D300 HSE in Silver Flux Matte, Cete Automotive Active Sound, Pirelli Scorpion All Season tyres