Stolen in Essex

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
Bluenorm

Stolen in Essex

Post by Bluenorm » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:04 pm

#Stolen 🙌👀🙌👀- Grey - Range Rover Velar - Reg RO10APR - R-DYN SE180 - from our driveway in Galleywood Road , Chelmsford , Essex on Monday 4/2/20 about 11.30am - Crime Ref 42/18450/20’

Hi , I’m. Just posting this as I have on various other Social Media sites . I’m not holding out much hope that our car will be found and it’s probably In a container on its way aboard. The scum that stole the car were very brazen as it happened while both my wife and I were in the house . The car was locked and the keys were well away from the front door as I have tested the keyless range in the past . They were able to disable the wireless camera and probably had the software that amplified the code from the key . The car didn’t have a tracker and the In control app is disabled and is still telling me it’s on the drive. We would love to get the car back . I could beat myself up for thinking the Land Rover App is a form of security but there’s no point , but I would urge other owners to get a tracker and disable the keyless entry which clearly is not fit for purpose. It’s too vulnerable.

Should Land Rover warn that the App and Keyless entry are easily disabled by thieves so don’t rely on them ? Could Land Rover update the security or stop selling cars with them?

It was reported to Police on 999 within very shortly after it was stolen (confirmed by a neighbour who thought it was me driving up the road) but they wouldn’t deal with it and we had to call 101 which took another 30 min to report . If the 999 call was taken it could of reported on the area cars straight away .

Haybrd

Re: Stolen in Essex

Post by Haybrd » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:14 pm

😢 well that sucks! Sorry to hear that!

Hope you get it back or at the very least don’t get screwed over by your insurance company!

I shall make sure my keys are in their faraday box more now! Easy to get complacent. Those determined will always find a way around whatever we or manufacturers do but I agree with you car manufacturers need to do more to make it more difficult for thieves. I’m amazed the police weren’t more interested!
MY20 D240 R-Dynamic SE, Santorini Black, 14 way heated, memory seats, Heated/power recline rear, 20” 7 spike gloss black wheels, Electrically deployable towbar, Fixed panoramic roof, Rear seat release , Power pack 2

HarryR

Post by HarryR » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:44 am

That really does suck. I feel for you.

What year was your vehicle?

I’ve been religiously using a Faraday pouch but also planning to disable keyless entry. This is a reminder do that.

Barachus

Post by Barachus » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:33 am

Why have you never used faraday pouches or tins if you were aware of the key cloning?

Bluenorm

Post by Bluenorm » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:52 am

HarryR wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:44 am
That really does suck. I feel for you.

What year was your vehicle?

I’ve been religiously using a Faraday pouch but also planning to disable keyless entry. This is a reminder do that.
The Car was 2019 (11 months old )

Bluenorm

Post by Bluenorm » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:26 am

Barachus wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:33 am
Why have you never used faraday pouches or tins if you were aware of the key cloning?
Barachus . Thanks for you reply . We are security aware and and I said the keys were well away from the car and locked . I’m not a car thief and have no idea how they did it but I know I couldn’t open the car from where the keys were kept . It was the middle of the day and the car was in use but sat on the drive and the is a camera which was disabled . It was probably stolen in seconds . We don’t live in a high crime area and it’s a busy road with low pedestrian activity

I’m sure my post will invite criticism over various things we could done extra but that wasn’t the intention . I bet most owners don’t do anymore than we have done to protect their car . Maybe my post will highlight to members how easy it is to seal their car .

Barachus

Post by Barachus » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:40 am

Bluenorm wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:26 am
Barachus wrote:
Barachus . Thanks for you reply . We are security aware and and I said the keys were well away from the car and locked . I’m not a car thief and have no idea how they did it but I know I couldn’t open the car open from where the keys were kept . It was the middle of the day and the car was in use but sat on the drive and the is a camera which was disabled . It was probably stolen in seconds . We don’t live in a high crime area and it’s a busy road with low pedestrian activity

I’m sure my post will invite criticism over various things we could done extra but that wasn’t the intention . I bet most owners don’t do anymore than we have done to protect their car . Maybe my post will highlight to members how easy it is to seal their car .
I wasn’t criticising, and I am sorry for your loss, and hindsight doesn’t really help the situation, so maybe my comment came across wrong
I was just curious as you seemed very clued up about the dangers of key cloning, why you didn’t take the most basic precautions.
As long as a signal can be taken from your house, it’s irrelevant how far away the car is

Bluenorm

Post by Bluenorm » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:52 am

Barachus wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:40 am
Bluenorm wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:26 am
Barachus wrote:
Barachus . Thanks for you reply . We are security aware and and I said the keys were well away from the car and locked . I’m not a car thief and have no idea how they did it but I know I couldn’t open the car open from where the keys were kept . It was the middle of the day and the car was in use but sat on the drive and the is a camera which was disabled . It was probably stolen in seconds . We don’t live in a high crime area and it’s a busy road with low pedestrian activity

I wasn’t criticising, and I am sorry for your loss, and hindsight doesn’t really help the situation, so maybe my comment came across wrong
I was just curious as you seemed very clued up about the dangers of key cloning, why you didn’t take the most basic precautions.
As long as a signal can be taken from your house, it’s irrelevant how far away the car is
Cleary Im not that clued up about key cloning . The most basic precautions were made and hindsight is a wonderful thing .

Gogsy

Post by Gogsy » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:55 am

Sorry to hear. Unfortunately there are scumbags everywhere who just want what others have without working for it. Hope it is recovered without damage and quickly!
2018 Firenze Red D240 SE

Simonh

Post by Simonh » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:17 am

Really sorry to read this Bluenorm. Gutting. They must have been familiar with where the embedded SIM is or know how to disable it if you can’t ‘see’ where the car is. ‘Professional’ toe rags !

I disabled my keyless entry a long time ago in the hope it makes my car less vulnerable. Saw little point in it anyway as you have to press a button to extract the door handles anyway.

LR do have a more secure system that uses ‘time of flight’ to know when the key is a certain distance away and disables the system. Signal boosting won’t work on that. Was announced some time ago but as far as I know it’s only just appearing on the new Defender as an option.

Not that those last two paragraphs help you now :(

Hopefully your insurance will plAy fair and you’ll be quickly into a replacement.

On the plus side it was just a car and no one was hurt.
Velar HSE D240 - MY19
Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 20 years of amazing customer service.