Range Rover Velar Forum banner

Rear Passenger Door Will Not Open

21K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  cford14 
#1 ·
Rear Passenger Door Will Not Open from either inside or outside, door handle is extended out.

Any ideas?

#7 ·
Strange things afoot. Despite opening normally once at the weekend and then deciding not to open from either inside or out the rear passenger door has decided today to open normally, so its not a mechanical linkage issue it must be electrical; or maybe not.

I've had issues for a while with the drivers door not shutting from inside with a reasonable pull, door latches but is not fully shut and warning appears when ignition started, a open and then pull harder shut usually resolves it. It have become so routine I almost expect every time to have to open then slightly more forcefully shut the door.

I wonder if the factory lubrication of the latch mechanism has 'hardened' or become less effective over time (car built July 18). I have today lubricated the latch with engine oil and a dab of grease, hopefully that will reseolve the issue.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

#8 ·
Yes mines the same, driver's side rear (uk) started being hard to close and when I eventually got it closed it won't open from inside or out. Rang the dealers they recommended I call out Landrover assist who came out about an hour later he spent about half an hour trying to get it open but gave up in the end and said it'll be a complicated job as they will have to try and get the door card off with the door closed!!! It's booked into Guy Salmon Knutsford next month to get sorted so will let you know the outcome.

#11 ·
Took mine to the dealer today for a quick check before it goes in to fix the defect. What was discovered is that the door handles, front and rear on the drivers side, are not snapping back to the 'neutral' position when released (ie parallel to the door), the handles should have some springiness that brings them back to the neutral position, both front and rear handles are not as springy as they should be. Therefore when it goes in for the repair they are planning to replace both handles.

#13 ·
Bit of an update, got the car booked in on the 23rd to look at the door but this morning I opened the car as normal and heard a bit of a bang and hey presto the rear door works perfectly again, I take it something was stuck in the mechanism. I'm still taking it in anyway even if it carries on working as something must be wrong, will update when I know more.

#16 ·
Well the car went in on the 23rd March to be repaired seemed they knew about the fault and it required a complete handle assembly, they gave us the courtesy car and said they would ring when it's done. They were a bit unsure how long it would take as at the time the corona virus measures were starting to be put in place, anyway after a couple of days they said we could pick it up but they couldn't paint the actual handle because the paint shop had been told to self isolate at home. Reluctantly we picked it up as the said they needed the loan car back for insurance purposes!!! Now I have a black handle (on a white car) and a door that rattles all the time as your driving and no idea when it'll get sorted, never mind there's worse things happening in the world at this moment in time and my car problems are trivial. Keep safe everyone.

#17 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.