Dynamic mode

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
Haybrd

Dynamic mode

Post by Haybrd » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:08 pm

Just to give credit where it’s due.... I drove back from a rare visit to the company office in Basingstoke to see my Dad in Somerset tonight.

Once off the slow drag of the A303 and A36 I got into the country lanes of the Mendips. Some of the junctions require a quick pull away as you’re crossing fast moving traffic so I switched KITT (the name I’ve given to my Velar) into Dynamic and Sport.

I’ve rarely fully appreciated this combination but tonight, wow! The comfortable, luxury beast turned into a wolf in sheep’s clothing! Zipping around the empty roads was a breeze and like being back in lower sling cars I’ve had in the past! I wouldn’t want to drive in it all the time, although the draw is there but the responsiveness was effortless and amazing. Just another thing to fall in love with with the Velar!
MY20 D240 R-Dynamic SE, Santorini Black, 14 way heated, memory seats, Heated/power recline rear, 20” 7 spike gloss black wheels, Electrically deployable towbar, Fixed panoramic roof, Rear seat release , Power pack 2

Simonh

Re: Dynamic mode

Post by Simonh » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:34 pm

Yup. For a ‘mere’ mid range diesel it turns into a highly strung and electric beast. Can’t imagine what the SVA is like in that mode 😳

I use Dynamic on our B roads and the motorway when people are up my backside trying to push me along. They just can’t keep up on short squirts !!

Amazing how it completely changes the cars character.
Velar HSE D240 - MY19
Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 20 years of amazing customer service.

Haybrd

Post by Haybrd » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:10 pm

Simonh wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:34 pm
Yup. For a ‘mere’ mid range diesel it turns into a highly strung and electric beast. Can’t imagine what the SVA is like in that mode 😳

I use Dynamic on our B roads and the motorway when people are up my backside trying to push me along. They just can’t keep up on short squirts !!

Amazing how it completely changes the cars character.
Totally! The SVA must be a semi-tamed fun hooligan! Also after having experienced the D300 in a Jag, even that would be a lot of fun!
MY20 D240 R-Dynamic SE, Santorini Black, 14 way heated, memory seats, Heated/power recline rear, 20” 7 spike gloss black wheels, Electrically deployable towbar, Fixed panoramic roof, Rear seat release , Power pack 2

Simonh

Post by Simonh » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:38 am

More than a hooligan I think !
Velar HSE D240 - MY19
Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 20 years of amazing customer service.

geniusloci

Post by geniusloci » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:04 am

I can't say I see much difference between dynamic and comfort. Back on my previous car (Mazda 6 2.5) spirt mode was super engaging, making the pedal much more sensitive. I can't honestly feel much difference when switching to the Velar dynamic mode.
ImageFirst Edition D300 HSE in Silver Flux Matte, Cete Automotive Active Sound, MOMO RF-04 wheels Pirelli Scorpion All Season tyres

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:16 am

geniusloci wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:04 am
I can't say I see much difference between dynamic and comfort. Back on my previous car (Mazda 6 2.5) spirt mode was super engaging, making the pedal much more sensitive. I can't honestly feel much difference when switching to the Velar dynamic mode.
That’s weird. You have the same D300 variant as me. Dynamic mode is significantly different for us. Acceleration and throttle responsiveness is increased, suspension is taught and the steering tighter. It’s not a raucous change, not like the crazy Sport+ setting on our son’s Mercedes SLC. But his Sport+ setting is tiresome after a while whereas the Velar's Dynamic mode is actually enjoyable to drive. I only use it when I want to push - either because I am running late or fancy a bit of fun. And only ever on twisting country roads. I can’t see the point on motorways or dual-carriageways.

The Velar is no Porsche Macan or Jaguar F-Pace. Both of these cars are set up for some of the best fast driving one can currently get from an SUV, assuming we accept that the Porsche is an SUV and not just a jacked-up hatchback. I think the journalists’ comparisons of the Velar with these two models in tests misses the design concept behind the Velar.

The Velar is a lovely luxury GT SUV. But she has a party trick when one selects Dynamic. Our Velar will do the fast cornering stuff and she is more than competent at doing so, unlike the vast majority of unwieldy SUVs out there. But she is effectively saying, ‘why are you doing this when I am designed to get you to your destination in supreme comfort and serenity?’

Arianne
D300 R-dynamic with lots of optional toys. Corris Grey, sunroof, activity bracelet, configurable lighting, 825w Meridian sound, heated everything, configurable dynamics, full leather pack, summer / winter tyres & the important cup holder cover!

geniusloci

Post by geniusloci » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:09 am

Oh, I am not complaining, using the shifters I can drive it hard too, but I just expected more from the throttle response and the steering adjustment, it is too subtle change.
The suspension is tight even in Comfort if you ask me, for a car with Air springs, but it also makes the car go smooth over bumps that make your teeth rattle on hard sporty SUVs.

I have no idea why some reviwers always compare it to Macan and F-pace. If they want a Macan rival there is Alfa Romeo Stelvio QV that actually IS a higher clearance hothach, and the QV drags with the fastest SUVs and handles corners better, being 200-400+ kg lighter than most.

No, my expectation was that tge Dynamic setting woukd keep gears linger, make the throttle response curved more toward the initial pedal movement rather than linear feeling that doesn't go away, and tighten the steering a bit more. I usualky drive in Comfort.
ImageFirst Edition D300 HSE in Silver Flux Matte, Cete Automotive Active Sound, MOMO RF-04 wheels Pirelli Scorpion All Season tyres

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:52 am

geniusloci wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:09 am
Oh, I am not complaining, using the shifters I can drive it hard too, but I just expected more from the throttle response and the steering adjustment, it is too subtle change.
The suspension is tight even in Comfort if you ask me, for a car with Air springs, but it also makes the car go smooth over bumps that make your teeth rattle on hard sporty SUVs.

I have no idea why some reviwers always compare it to Macan and F-pace. If they want a Macan rival there is Alfa Romeo Stelvio QV that actually IS a higher clearance hothach, and the QV drags with the fastest SUVs and handles corners better, being 200-400+ kg lighter than most.

No, my expectation was that tge Dynamic setting woukd keep gears linger, make the throttle response curved more toward the initial pedal movement rather than linear feeling that doesn't go away, and tighten the steering a bit more. I usualky drive in Comfort.
Morning geniusloci, I could have written your post - you have summed it up exactly for me!

Air suspension....... the comfort setting is certainly better than normal SUV. I had a Volvo XC60 R-design with 20” rims. Horrendous combination, especially on concrete motorways and hitting cats eyes when changing lanes. Monobloc also was worth avoiding. But it’s still far from limousine in comfort on 21” rims with the Velar - very good but not quite perfect.

If I could choose, I would add another level to the suspension settings - a softer comfort mode and a firmer sport mode at either end of the spectrum with two other intermediate settings in between. Minor point but there you go.

Best wishes to you in Bulgaria.

Arianne
D300 R-dynamic with lots of optional toys. Corris Grey, sunroof, activity bracelet, configurable lighting, 825w Meridian sound, heated everything, configurable dynamics, full leather pack, summer / winter tyres & the important cup holder cover!

Simonh

Post by Simonh » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:05 pm

In my lower powered D240, Dynamic mode and ‘S’ selected on the gear shifter is like night and day for throttle responsiveness compared to when in Comfort mode in ‘D’. Gears change down more readily too when slowing for corners. Don’t really get much suspension tightness change as its only coil sprung with adaptive dynamics. Previous LR employee should have have specced air suspension as its only £1,500 or so !! Or maybe they couldn’t? Steering is sharper and more reactive / direct than when in Comfort but not massively so.
Velar HSE D240 - MY19

raven14

Post by raven14 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:17 pm

I feel the suspension being clearly more sporty; the car doesn't lean as much in tighter corners in Dynamic mode. I have the standard suspension on my car but also with Adaptive Dynamics.

So far the combo I like most is Comfort for chassis and S for gear shifter. 'Dynamic' is a wee bit too much for this car with this engine.