Dynamic mode

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
Simonh

Re: Dynamic mode

Post by Simonh » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:10 pm

Too much ? What engine ?
Velar HSE D240 - MY19
Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 20 years of amazing customer service.

raven14

Post by raven14 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:33 am

D240. Lends itself more to easy driving instead of trying hard to being something it isn't.

Simonh

Post by Simonh » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:25 am

Not sure I agree. In Dynamic mode it’s great fun to drive in a spirited fashion. Velar holds the bends very well and is pretty nimble for such a big car. Comfort mode it’s more relaxed as a cruiser.
Velar HSE D240 - MY19
Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 20 years of amazing customer service.

raven14

Post by raven14 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:47 am

Different frames of reference probably. I used to race cars on track; that kind of skews my perspective on this.

Simonh

Post by Simonh » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:00 am

Ahhh ! Well in that case the D240 probably feels a bit tame ;)

My last LR was a D240 engined D5. Capable but not ‘sporty’ in any sense. For me the Velar D240 is like a rocket ship in comparison.
Velar HSE D240 - MY19

geniusloci

Post by geniusloci » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:25 am

Arianne wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:52 am
Morning geniusloci, I could have written your post - you have summed it up exactly for me!

Air suspension....... the comfort setting is certainly better than normal SUV. I had a Volvo XC60 R-design with 20” rims. Horrendous combination, especially on concrete motorways and hitting cats eyes when changing lanes. Monobloc also was worth avoiding. But it’s still far from limousine in comfort on 21” rims with the Velar - very good but not quite perfect.

If I could choose, I would add another level to the suspension settings - a softer comfort mode and a firmer sport mode at either end of the spectrum with two other intermediate settings in between. Minor point but there you go.

Best wishes to you in Bulgaria.

Arianne
First let me apologize for the amount of mistakes in the previous posts - I cannot edit them now, but it seems that I should just avoid writing posts on the phone.

I agree that the comfort setting is better than any SUVs with coils, even those with adaptive dampers. I don't think there is any non-air suspension SUV that can handle the respective size of our 21" wheels (even the 22" are bearable in Velar, just not in my country). I know it would be even smoother on 20-inch wheels, but it makes the car look more... I don't know - common, may be?

It still handles turns well enough for what it is, even with the heaviest engines like the V6 diesel and the V6 petrol. Mostly thanks to being aluminum car, of course, but having the air suspension also makes it less prone to some road irregularities and it grips well w/o being too hard. For example, near the place I live there is a left turn going over tram lines, most of my previous cars rears simply jumped over them (or felt like), in the Velar I get some soft thuds and that's all.

I'd too love to have two more settings in the extremes - a super soft setting for the town where I often hit pavement or broken tarmac on small streets and I don't care about body roll, and even harder setting for twisty roads. Alas, JLR probably feel that having the former would bring it too close to the larger RRs, and the latter would threaten the F-Pace spot (but then I've never found a good reason to justify F-Pace existence :D, no offense meant to the owners)

Back to where my current problem lies - I switch to Dynamic, even tried changing the settings myself, and I don't feel the difference is anything but subtle. May be in how it handles grip in corners*, but that requires lot of going between the two to notice it. Or how the accelerator makes it feel more direct, but that too is changed very slightly**. No sign of non-linearity in the accelerator, brake pedal is already like a sponge, and that doesn't bring any more confidence.

*having a torque vectoring and active differential makes it even less likely to notice the effect of the suspension in corners
**with the amount of torque of the D300, especially one with a certain hp-boosting box, it's already rubbing the tyres too hard.

BTW, on a side note - JLR didn't even bother shedding some weight by using lighter wheels on the Velar. Not sure if the idea is to offset the heavier glass top center of gravity, or it is simply something they didn't think reasonable for a car that is expected to do some off-roading now and then (coming from the same people that made an advertisement showing off-road capabilities with 22" wheels, lol). I bought a set of 21" 5047 genuine wheels at a good price, and I can't bring myself to move them to the garage. These are the heaviest wheels I've ever lifted. Same sized flow-forged MOMO with the same Pirelli All Season tyres - no problem, they are like feathers.
ImageFirst Edition D300 HSE in Silver Flux Matte, Cete Automotive Active Sound, MOMO RF-04 wheels Pirelli Scorpion All Season tyres

kukoc7

Post by kukoc7 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:42 am

On P250 engine the difference is rather cosmetic , car just feels more firm and gearbox allows for higher RPM than in Comfort mode. Not very good for traffic commute, but great for joy rides.

I'm using it mostly on highways, car feels steadier and less affected by wind blows.

Haybrd

Post by Haybrd » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:11 pm

kukoc7 wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:42 am

I'm using it mostly on highways, car feels steadier and less affected by wind blows.
Interesting you say about the car being steadier. The instructor on my experience day recommended the Dynamic settling for when my daughter would be in the car as the former ride helps prevent travel sickness. The fact I might have caused it by driving in Dynamic mode in the first place I didn’t discuss with him :)
MY20 D240 R-Dynamic SE, Santorini Black, 14 way heated, memory seats, Heated/power recline rear, 20” 7 spike gloss black wheels, Electrically deployable towbar, Fixed panoramic roof, Rear seat release , Power pack 2

AJR300

Post by AJR300 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:13 pm

Somebody mentioned Porsche SUVs.

I had two Cayennes 3.0 litre diesels,2015 & 2016 (I rejected the first one), and neither handled or performed as well as my Velars (I rejected the first one again). The Velar is faster, more fuel efficient, needs less optional extras and in dynamic/sport mode much, much more fun to drive.

Post by 03184 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:24 pm

I tend to agree that comfort to dynamic mode isn't that noticeable other than a stiffer feel to things, I wouldn't say i was disappointed, more of a meh, i'll stick to comfort. I think for a 90 grand car you'd like to feel that there was more to it.
MY19 D275 R-Dynamic SE, Yulong White, 20” 1032 style wheels, panoramic roof, Matrix LED Signature lights.